IGNORED

Amusing Plastic Moments

Chairman Mao

We were right next to the division between the fans.  A couple of Walsall fans were shouting and waving over (fingers up fists closed etc).  One was wearing a particularly stupid hat  - something similar to Great Uncle Bulgaria's womble offering - and had some sort of adidas handbag.  Anyway, after about five minutes a female Walsall fan dobbed him into the stewards and after a finger-wagging telling off him and his mate were promptly ejected!

Bet he's fuming at all these Walsall plastics!

My my ... a lot of you are so protective of the club.  I'm sure the very small crowd of people who followed the now very popular rock and pop bands when they first started out in small backrooms feel the same way about you, when you sing along to their latest hits.  I agree with some of the more reasoned comments on here in that you can only hope that these newcomers want to experience more of watching City after having gone through this.  As said on an earlier thread, do you want to keep the crowds small and close the gates once the 'faithful' 15k or so have got into the ground?

My my ... a lot of you are so protective of the club.  I'm sure the very small crowd of people who followed the now very popular rock and pop bands when they first started out in small backrooms feel the same way about you, when you sing along to their latest hits.  I agree with some of the more reasoned comments on here in that you can only hope that these newcomers want to experience more of watching City after having gone through this.  As said on an earlier thread, do you want to keep the crowds small and close the gates once the 'faithful' 15k or so have got into the ground?

Pete Best forever, Ringo Never!

We had quite a few excitable children by us, nothing wrong with that but they had not one bit of interest in the football. The parents could have saved a small fortune by putting them in the garden with a few balloons and they would have had just as much fun as that's all they were interested in. And they weren't young children either.

I went with my boy, his first ever match as well, 7 next month. We had a great day out and he really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the pissed asshole from Middlesbrough of all places sat next to me, shouting ****** every other word. No need for it.

Should have put the Boro fan in that garden too.

Quite right. The newcomers will not know the songs until they have been a few times, especially the children.

But I wonder how many kids were at their first City match but will now be hooked, reeled in and City fans for life.

My boy is doing a 'show and tell' at school today. Taken in his match program, scarf and hat. Plus he knew the songs beforehand. I've made sure of that the past near 7 years :D

I was up in the top tier yesterday (502) and it was obvious that the majority around me weren't familiar with the team - there weren't many of us referring to individual players by name. But I knew that would be the case before I got there and I have no problem with it. What have they actually done wrong? It's far preferable to empty seats and they have not stopped any regular supporters from getting a ticket (something that you could have said about the play off final).

Even if only a small percentage of the non-regulars there yesterday start coming, it will go a long way to filling those 27,000 seats we'll have the season after next. And if they start coming more often, they'll feel more able to join in with the singing etc. Much better to encourage prospective new supporters than turn our noses up at them.

I would imagine there are plenty of supporters on this very forum whose first game was a big occasion like yesterday, and I bet they didn't know the songs then either.

I stood above an exit way at half time, vaping. I thought this was the least anti-social thing to do, as I was away from people. Bad idea, in terms of drawing stewards' attention. "No smoking, mate". "I'm not smoking". "No cigarettes or e-cigarettes inside Wembley stadium, thems the rules".

They need to develop e-cigars.

I read their ground regulations beforehand, so knew I had to stealth vape in the ground. Saying that, for the Froch vs Groves fight last May, people were openly smoking Jamaican Woodbines in the concourses.

10 mins in and the bloke turns to me and asks "what colour are we in, yellow?" "No" I say "we're red", 5 mins later, "are you a Walsall fan?"

didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Great idea to intimidate potential supporters with this "plastic" crap .

What are you ? A "steel" supporter ?

Everyone should be made welcome to follow our club .The more supporters we have the more chance we have of success .

Now write out a hundred times ,

"All City supporters are equal "

Everyone should be made welcome to follow our club .The more supporters we have the more chance we have of success .

Well said.  I also don't believe the claim that he didn't know who was who.

Not to call the OP a liar, but it barely sounds believable...

There was a gent behind me who kept pronouncing Wilbraham as "Wil-bree-him", few of his other comments gave me the impression he hadn't watched us yet this season...

So what if he hasn't?  Should he not have come?

Our average gate is 12k and yesterday we had 40k there, why are people acting as if they were surprised that there were people in the crowd who didn't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of our team? 

I read their ground regulations beforehand, so knew I had to stealth vape in the ground. Saying that, for the Froch vs Groves fight last May, people were openly smoking Jamaican Woodbines in the concourses.

I vaped in the ground yesterday, I didn't realise there was an issue with it until reading your post.

I stood near to stewards at ht doing it and none of them said anything to me!

I went with my boy, his first ever match as well, 7 next month. We had a great day out and he really enjoyed it. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the pissed asshole from Middlesbrough of all places sat next to me, shouting ****** every other word. No need for it.

Should have put the Boro fan in that garden too.

I am really glad you both you enjoyed your day, but I hope he realises that all grounds and crowds aren't as big and impressive as that, and we don't get trophies and fireworks every game! Seriously, I hope he is soon asking to come to a match again.

Like I said these children near us were older. When leaping up to hit a balloon, and not caring who or what you trample on to get to it or who you hit, becomes more important than what you are actually there for, well you begin to wonder. One bloke behind this irritating little squirt eventually had enough and began popping any balloons which came near. And no we weren't sat anywhere near the Family section.

I really do hate this City fan snobbery. The truth of it is, if we had a 40K stadium, we would never get close to filling it. The reason we play at Wembley is so that the fringe fans can also come along to watch the big games. I wonder how many of the 'plastic fans' will now attend more games because of the fact they went to Wembley; even a small percentage will benefit us long term. Wouldn't you rather we make up our allocation with part-timers? It's not like we have 40K of core supporters.

Probaly the issue is that for games at AG, you pretty much know what stand certain folks are going to be in (old East End - ultra / teens / singers / etc; Williams - stay seated during game; Dolman - depends on section; Atyeo - er, um).

At away games we generally get to sit / stand where we like, so you get the sitters & the standers.

At Wembly, you just got a ticket anywhere, and hard luck if who was around you didn't fit in to what your interpretation of what should happen at a game.

Mind you, if I ever again sit in front of a family with 4 kids, none of which had any interest in anything other than hot dogs or iPads then I'm going to clock one of the parents........

Whilst I agree with this, my post, and I'm guessing the OP's, was to just highlight a bit of the humour overheard on the day - not to attack people who aren't as obsessed as me.

I'm just very glad we took such an impressive following, and I hope our dominant display might encourage a few more to attend AG (when we have the capacity!)

For the 1986 final I went with my son and my dad, we had expensive seats because we wanted to make the first time special. For the 87 final we just got normal terrace tickets. We took our places and in front of us were 4 very happy young drunken fans, 3 of them were so drunk they slept all of the way through the game and extra time, only waking up for the penalty shoot out. The 4th guy was a really funny kid, my son handed some sweets out and this kid said " mate can I have one ", my son duly gave him a sweet and the kid said " do you mind if I stand with you, it'll be good to have someone to talk to ", pointing at his mates he said " this is our 2nd year at Wembley and these 3 ******s haven't even seen the pitch yet ".

Look it's a day out for Bristolian's, people in communities do that in the same way that they tend to unite behind local tragedies involving people that they don't know, as this is not a tragedy why not enjoy it for what it is.

Exactly. We all started somewhere, and I would hope a good performance, like yesterday, may tempt a few of them to AG.

I was up in the top tier yesterday (502) and it was obvious that the majority around me weren't familiar with the team - there weren't many of us referring to individual players by name. But I knew that would be the case before I got there and I have no problem with it. What have they actually done wrong? It's far preferable to empty seats and they have not stopped any regular supporters from getting a ticket (something that you could have said about the play off final).

Even if only a small percentage of the non-regulars there yesterday start coming, it will go a long way to filling those 27,000 seats we'll have the season after next. And if they start coming more often, they'll feel more able to join in with the singing etc. Much better to encourage prospective new supporters than turn our noses up at them.

I would imagine there are plenty of supporters on this very forum whose first game was a big occasion like yesterday, and I bet they didn't know the songs then either.

......and don't forget, quite a few 'super fans' on here refused to attend yesterday's final.

Whilst I agree with this, my post, and I'm guessing the OP's, was to just highlight a bit of the humour overheard on the day - not to attack people who aren't as obsessed as me.

I'm just very glad we took such an impressive following, and I hope our dominant display might encourage a few more to attend AG (when we have the capacity!)

exactly this

I am not criticising fans who show up and know nothing about the team, the more the merrier because I'm sure some may get into it having had a good experience

Just point out some funny moments that occured while watching the game, part of the day out!

At one point I was a 'plastic', grew up in NZ as a kid and supported Man U, I had no local team, came to Bristol a decade ago and went to see City play and fell in love ever since, no doubt at that match I was sprouting clueless rubbish, I still am!

But some think they are more equal than others! :P

In our group of 27, only 14 were regulars/ST holders. The rest made of families, mostly young 'uns. I hope they all come back to a game, although they need to know that it won't always be like that.... ;)

Good to see some old faces who I remember seeing down the years though. You just look at them and think City through and through. You older ones will know what I mean.

Although I did have the misfortune of being sat in front of Bedminster's answer to Jack and Vera Duckworth, With the gentleman insisting on commenting on every single touch by a city player with his dearly beloved repeating his every word, clearly life long city fans but drove me potty!. All in all the 40000 plus that paid there pennies did our club proud and who knows if from these plastic fans we've captured the hearts of a few hundred little ones who'll become season ticket holders for years to come then it was well worth the experience! I loved it every bit of it, ive been before i'll come again but that was just as special as when I saw the Bolton and Mansfield games many years ago.

I traveled up in a coach, probs 50/50 split, it wasnt untill after the game and we were on our way home

that my partner informed me that her stepfather (78) really enjoyed the day, and would like to come down the gate

to watch the reds again, turns out it was his first game ever !!!! never to old to start !

My boy is doing a 'show and tell' at school today. Taken in his match program, scarf and hat. Plus he knew the songs beforehand. I've made sure of that the past near 7 years :D

Mine too. He took the flag and a drawing he did first thing this morning of the match under the arch ..

He's picking up the songs quickly too...

Nothing to do with plastics but a amusing moment.... waiting for a train after the game at Wembley Central i hear the tannoy announcer getting increasingly frustrated with people too close to the tracks..."can the person with the red and white scarf please stand back!" what greeted that was 500 odd people with red and white scarfs on to burst out laughing!

Archived