IGNORED

England V Lithuania Match Day Thread

And Its Smith

I don't think the CL is anywhere close to being on a par with the World Cup.

Settled teams, best composition of 11 players worldwide rather than based upon geographic boundaries, real home and away crowds, during a domestic campaign - mental and physical fatigue, that the best players in the world overwhelmingly play in Europe in any case. All reasonable points.

At the last World Cup the following players would have played domestically in the champions league but not in Brazil: Cech, Ivanovic, Ramsey, Bale, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski, Aubameyang etc. More than the basis of a strong team, looks like kinda team that could wipe the floor with the following countries who qualified: Cameroon; Australia; (dare I?) Spain; Japan; Honduras; Iran; South Korea...

The pressure at playing at a World Cup for your country and champs league for a club you don't even support don't even come close

My dear deluded friend; do you honestly for even a nanosecond consider that ANY of those England players give a turd about the national team?

Not at all touchy. Will just never understand the abuse Rooney gets. One of the finest players for many years. Just take a look at his record and trophies. Something many other top class players can only dream about.

I also dont get how you can compare players who played generations apart? Maybe if Rooney played 50 years afo he would have scored 100 international goals. Maybe Charlton would have scored more playing nowadays. You just cant compare the game from then against now.

How many goals has he scored against top 10 teams?

I'd guess at, ooohhhh, 5 !!!

Rooney can end up top scorer of all-time but unless something drastically changes he can't ever go down as an England great. What's he done outside of scoring tap-ins and penalties against a load of mediocre teams in qualifiers? The only time he's performed for England when it matters was EURO 2004.

How many goals has he scored against top 10 teams?

I'd guess at, ooohhhh, 5 !!!

Two against Brazil.

One against Argentina.

Four against Croatia.

One against Uruguay.

Three against Switzerland.

One against Holland.

Scored in competitive games against Russia, Poland (twice) and Ukraine (not top 10 teams, but certainly reasonable opposition). Also got 5 against Slovenia, Slovakia and Denmark, all of whom have qualified for tournaments in the last 10 years.

That's 21 against either top 10 opposition, or reasonable European teams who have qualified for tournaments in recent years.

Not a bad haul, considering that a low proportion of any national team's games will be against top 10 opponents.

In terms of performances in tournaments: in 2006 he was clearly rushed back far too early from injury - so it is arguably unfair to judge him too harshly in that tournament. In 2010 he was disappointing (I was at all four games and he didn't look fully fit to me, but he has since said it wasn't lack of fitness that was the reason for his poor performances). In the other three tournaments he's played in, he has scored - and in 2004 he was just about the best player in the tournament.

Yes I do or why bother,it's not like in the old days when it ment you could get sponsorship deals,they all earn enough money not to play for England,if you deluded sir think because we are crap means that they don't care then u are off your rocker

What is it 6 months since Harry Redknapp confirmed he's had a number of players asking him to help them withdraw from the England squad with fictitious injuries?

Sturridgr withdraws from England squad. Let's just wait and see him play with plenty of gusto for Liverpool against Arsenal.

Two against Brazil.

One against Argentina.

Four against Croatia.

One against Uruguay.

One against Holland.

Scored in competitive games against Russia, Poland (twice) and Ukraine (not top 10 teams, but certainly reasonable opposition). Also got 5 against Slovenia, Slovakia and Denmark, all of whom have qualified for tournaments in the last 10 years.

That's 21 against either top 10 opposition, or reasonable European teams who have qualified for tournaments in recent years.

Not a bad haul, considering that a low proportion of any national team's games will be against top 10 opponents.

In terms of performances in tournaments: in 2006 he was clearly rushed back far too early from injury - so it is arguably unfair to judge him too harshly in that tournament. In 2010 he was disappointing (I was at all four games and he didn't look fully fit to me, but he has since said it wasn't lack of fitness that was the reason for his poor performances). In the other three tournaments he's played in, he has scored - and in 2004 he was just about the best player in the tournament.

dont want to open up another can of worms but Rooney was not the best player at the tournament I remember lots of terrible touches but what he did have is the desire to chase everything down and make something out out of endeavour rather than class!

I'm not a Rooney hater I think when he breaks the record he will have deserved it but he's never really performed in an England shirt for me when it's mattered!

Pele scored over over 550 league goals, won 3 world cups and scored twice in the world cup final aged 17, give him some credit!

Didn't even mention Pele. I never saw him play so hard to judge.

Why is it that Messi is the only likeable one? Do you need to be a bit of a tosser to be an all time great?

Two against Brazil.

One against Argentina.

Four against Croatia.

One against Uruguay.

One against Holland.

Scored in competitive games against Russia, Poland (twice) and Ukraine (not top 10 teams, but certainly reasonable opposition). Also got 5 against Slovenia, Slovakia and Denmark, all of whom have qualified for tournaments in the last 10 years.

Not a bad haul, considering that a low proportion of any national team's games will be against top 10 opponents.

Post of the thread! The amount of anti England on this form always stuns me! The stick Rooney gets is just ridiculous!! I was there last night and have done all homes and some aways last 5-10 years. And I can ensure people that Rooney cares about England big time!! This is (in most cases) your country FFS!! We've played 6 won 6 conceded 1 goal! What more can they do!!!

Yes home games can be a bit boring. But for me weither it be friendly, qualifier or finals watching England away nothing (football wise) comes close! People on here and I know there are a few will understand. You need to have been England away to truely get it! I'd give anything for England to win a World Cup in my lifetime! It prob won't happen but I will always live in hope! GSTQ

If Messi can perform at the highest level for as long as Pele then maybe I could put him above him. Maradona was close and screwed it all up in my mind with the drugs etc. Pele was my first World Cup memory, running games in the 1970 tournament, without breaking sweat. To put it in terms the kids at the gate might understand, He was athletic, he had a leap that Joe Bryan would die for, he was skillful, he had footwork that Freeman would be in awe of, and I can't even imagine a player that had the vision and passing ability he possessed in the modern game.

Post of the thread! The amount of anti England on this form always stuns me! The stick Rooney gets is just ridiculous!! I was there last night and have done all homes and some aways last 5-10 years!

City must have one of the biggest England followings out there so it also surprises me the anti England feeling on here.

IMO, Rooney's record makes him a very good striker, but not a great one. Yes, he's up there with United's all-time top goalscorers, but his record there still equates to less than one in two - not particularly exceptional considering he's been the striker for far and away the Premier League's most successful team. Ruud Van Nistelrooy's pro-rata record is far superior.

As others have said, the majority of his England goals have come against defences that would probably not even make Championship teams. People will argue that 'he can only score against what's put in front of him', but - as far as tournaments go - he doesn't, does he?

I don't mean to sound unkind to Wayne - he's clearly had a fantastic career, and he strikes me as being a really nice bloke - but I can't help feeling his records for United and England are ever so slightly misleading. I certainly wouldn't mention him in the same breath as Messi and Ronaldo!

My top five of all-time:

1. Messi

2. Pele

3. Zidane

4. Brazilian Ronaldo

5. Maradona/C Ronaldo

Archived