IGNORED

Sc On Sky (Fl 72 Review)

Bob Taylor is GOD

We have a large budget for this league, you would expect us to do well. The fact is, though, City could finish only a few points off what Wolves achieved last season, and our spending pales in comparison to the wages some of their players were on. Losing 5-6 games in a season is an achievement for any club.

We have a large budget for this league, you would expect us to do well. The fact is, though, City could finish only a few points off what Wolves achieved last season, and our spending pales in comparison to the wages some of their players were on. Losing 5-6 games in a season is an achievement for any club.

Ah good, someone who knows what the budget is. What is it?

I think we'd be extremely naive to believe that the likes of Freeman, Smith and Agard aren't on upper end of wages for this league.

This might be true, but I'd venture that this would still be very little compared to mid-low end Championship sides.

Agard turned down bigger money at Leeds to come here, and I can tell you; Leeds are currently FAR from the largest spenders in that league.

I'd never argue that we are in a better position than many sides in this league, but that comes from a number of factors, including what are (usually; the rebuild considered) big crowds for this level.

The fact is, the likes of Sheffield United are rarely more likely paying similar/more than us out in wages and fees, yet they looks to already be unable to go up automatically - money is only part of what build a successful team.

Ah good, someone who knows what the budget is. What is it?

What is it?

A budget is a quantitative expression of a plan for a defined period of time. It may include planned sales volumes and revenues, resource quantities, costs and expenses, assets, liabilities and cash flows. It expresses strategic plans of business units, organizations, activities or events in measurable terms.  :)

Hope that helps Roger.

Football at higher levels is pretty much sponsored by sky wealthy benefactors and corporate sponsorship.

Ok so we have a wealthy man in our corner, but so what! Man Utd have bought league titles for years now matched by Chelsea and Man City.

To compete on any basis in the next 20 years BCFC will need to increase its attraction to industry and gain a bigger portion of television money. This football club is on the way to do that and I am amazed that Hargreaves Lansdown is not on our shirts already, if we make the prem be assured that will be a shoe in for this club.

We as supporters have to come terms with that or we will continue to be the club to rich for division 3 but too poor for division 2 which has been our problem for donkeys years.

A new stadium attractive football and a competitive side helps and this costs money.

However SC did a brilliant job bringing in players on free transfers and Agard was paid for by Baldock leaving. This is good business. What somebody implies on Sky is of no consequence. The richest clubs have always bought things, we hopefully will join some second level elite over the next few years and this in turn will attract industry and prosperity to the area. Despite the best efforts of Fi Hance red trousers et al!

Thanks everybody for your replies. So it would seem nobody knows what it is then!

Very few people will know the individual wages for each player, but you don't need to be a member of the coaching staff to know City pay relatively well, albeit without throwing money at the team as they have done in previous years.

This might be true, but I'd venture that this would still be very little compared to mid-low end Championship sides.

Agard turned down bigger money at Leeds to come here, and I can tell you; Leeds are currently FAR from the largest spenders in that league.

I'd never argue that we are in a better position than many sides in this league, but that comes from a number of factors, including what are (usually; the rebuild considered) big crowds for this level.

The fact is, the likes of Sheffield United are rarely more likely paying similar/more than us out in wages and fees, yet they looks to already be unable to go up automatically - money is only part of what build a successful team.

I would agree, we'd probably be mid-lower with our current budget. With promotion (and likely wage clauses) I'd expect us to be mid spenders to be honest.

My point was though everyone is criticizing managers for saying we have a big budget, but it is true for the league we are in. 

Sheff United are massively under performing with their budget, so yes it doesn't mean everything, however let's not pretend we aren't fortunate to of been able to cherry pick some of the best players due to that extra financial clout.

Ah, but that would be 'lbs', H.

Actually you may write it either way Rog especially when it is obvious one is conversing about weight and not currency.

Incidentally have you ever wondered why we use the symbol 'lb' for the 'pounds' unit? 'pound' is short for 'pound weight' which was libra pondo in Latin. The libra part meant both weight or balance scales. The Latin usage was shortened to libra, which naturally was abbreviated 'lb'. We adopted the pound part from pondo, yet kept the abbreviation for libra.

Fancy that. :)

I need to go have a lie down now .

I'm not sure exactly Steve Lansdown has been the majority share holder at AG but my point is he's always been loaded but until this season previous managers haven't used the resources to the maximum potential.

Now the combination of Cotterill and Burt have made the most of the available funds and Cotterill in particular has created a pretty useful squad.

Of course other envious clubs and one eyed pundits will point to a mega rich owner but SL has been the main resource provider for a number of years so why only now are City flying? These envious clubs and one eyed pundits need to look at the facts before they spout off.

Actually you may write it either way Rog especially when it is obvious one is conversing about weight and not currency.

Incidentally have you ever wondered why we use the symbol 'lb' for the 'pounds' unit? 'pound' is short for 'pound weight' which was libra pondo in Latin. The libra part meant both weight or balance scales. The Latin usage was shortened to libra, which naturally was abbreviated 'lb'. We adopted the pound part from pondo, yet kept the abbreviation for libra.

Fancy that. :)

I need to go have a lie down now .

And me, I failed my latin 'O' level, dismally!

I would agree, we'd probably be mid-lower with our current budget. With promotion (and likely wage clauses) I'd expect us to be mid spenders to be honest.

My point was though everyone is criticizing managers for saying we have a big budget, but it is true for the league we are in. 

Sheff United are massively under performing with their budget, so yes it doesn't mean everything, however let's not pretend we aren't fortunate to of been able to cherry pick some of the best players due to that extra financial clout.

I really wasn't doing that.  At all.

And we were smart; waited until summer to do our deals, avoiding the crazy January sales both this year and last.  

Plus, our squad this year has been ridiculously small compared to other sides, and though we might pay more per player, we've likely saved a few bob simply by both limiting numbers, and farming out folks on loan as soon as it looks like we don't need then for a while (El Abd, Burns and Reid repeatedly, now Osborne too) - we never even got a back-up keeper in outside of Richards, who I'd suggest is on less than Parish even.

Yeah, we aren't skint, and we've used our backing to build a good squad.  But when the likes of Notts County turn up, play like a pub side, get trashed, and then their manager brings up how much money we've spent; who cares?  Teams with zero cash can give you a game if they are well drilled and motivated.

Don't mind being called 'Big Spenders'; tends to be folks getting their excused in early or recriminations in late, and I've seen more expensive City teams play far worse than this lot in the not too distant past.

I really wasn't doing that.  At all.

And we were smart; waited until summer to do our deals, avoiding the crazy January sales both this year and last.  

Plus, our squad this year has been ridiculously small compared to other sides, and though we might pay more per player, we've likely saved a few bob simply by both limiting numbers, and farming out folks on loan as soon as it looks like we don't need then for a while (El Abd, Burns and Reid repeatedly, now Osborne too) - we never even got a back-up keeper in outside of Richards, who I'd suggest is on less than Parish even.

Yeah, we aren't skint, and we've used our backing to build a good squad.  But when the likes of Notts County turn up, play like a pub side, get trashed, and then their manager brings up how much money we've spent; who cares?  Teams with zero cash can give you a game if they are well drilled and motivated.

Don't mind being called 'Big Spenders'; tends to be folks getting their excused in early or recriminations in late, and I've seen more expensive City teams play far worse than this lot in the not too distant past.

Sorry, again I wasn't pinpointing you out, I was talking about quite a few other users of this forum.

I agree with most of what you said apart from the loan part, I expect we are paying 80% of most of our loan player's wages. This is mainly due to the clubs they are at, and El Abd and Reid I expect are on decent wages.

On the other hand I expect we are only paying half of Tav's and Sav's wages.

We are told our spending is within the guidelines of FFP, so I don't see where the problem is. I would suggest our wage bill is less than last year.

Of our current squad only Cunningham and Bryan played for us in the Championship, last season we were still paying players from the Championship era, even though they hardly played.

Others clubs have loads of players on loan, I note Peter Ramage could not play for Barnsley as they cannot play all of the 7 players they have on loan.

Archived