IGNORED

Sc On Sky (Fl 72 Review)

Bob Taylor is GOD

Thanks everybody for your replies. So it would seem nobody knows what it is then!

If my source is correct, Korey Smith is on 3 apples per week with a sherbert fountain as a win bonus, meanwhile Frankie Fielding gets 4 Shillings and sixpence.

Flinty gets a great big kiss for every clean sheet and Wilbs has to sit on the naughty step if we lose.

Indeed, rather like opposition managers speculating on our big budget!

Actually I would expect opposite numbers to have a pretty decent grasp on club's relative budgets in the league.

For one, sharing of this information can be mutually beneficial, particularly to prevent a race to the ceiling (by which I mean club's constantly outdoing another by upping wages on offer). Secondly when a player joins you'll want to know very close what he was earning at his last place so you can pitch your offer right. Thirdly when you sell a player you'd need to know what their salary is, otherwise there may be a payment due to them if they are taking a paycut. Fifthly loan deals where you pick  proportion of salary will confirm that. Finally, im sure players and managers alike discuss between them.

• Admin

If commercial income was the same or inline with attendances at all League One clubs and ticket prices were similar, and if all clubs comply with SCMP (as we are told we do) then we would have the 3rd largest budget in the division.

Sheffield United's average crowd is so much in advance of ours that I cannot see a situation where our budget would outstrip theirs.

People only comment on it because we spent it well.

Basically no one knows what our budget is, no one knows what the club pays the players, and everything on this thread is speculation.

No greater speculation than when every other opposition manager feels the need to comment on our "massive budget". They don't know any more than we do!

I never thought it would be. Nobody knows what the budget is, so why state that it is big?

It's only an assumption. My guess would be that it's not as big as people think it is, considering we have a small squad.

I know that it is big, for this league, this season. I haven't seen each individual player's pay cheque.

This might be true, but I'd venture that this would still be very little compared to mid-low end Championship sides.

Agard turned down bigger money at Leeds to come here, and I can tell you; Leeds are currently FAR from the largest spenders in that league.

I'd never argue that we are in a better position than many sides in this league, but that comes from a number of factors, including what are (usually; the rebuild considered) big crowds for this level.

The fact is, the likes of Sheffield United are rarely more likely paying similar/more than us out in wages and fees, yet they looks to already be unable to go up automatically - money is only part of what build a successful team.

Don't believe all that you read. Agard did not turn down bigger money at Leeds to come here. The Leeds owner fed a story to the media saying Agard wanted too much, but really it was a smokescreen to overrule Hockaday and ensure Agard wasn't signed. An "I'm the boss" kinda message. Agard didn't turn them down, the owner essentially overruled the manager, who'd already agreed everything with Agard.

Agard is on a fraction of the 'reported' Leeds offer.

Don't believe all that you read. Agard did not turn down bigger money at Leeds to come here. The Leeds owner fed a story to the media saying Agard wanted too much, but really it was a smokescreen to overrule Hockaday and ensure Agard wasn't signed. An "I'm the boss" kinda message. Agard didn't turn them down, the owner essentially overruled the manager, who'd already agreed everything with Agard.

Agard is on a fraction of the 'reported' Leeds offer.[/quote

"Don't believe all that you read" ...

Should we believe this post then Harry ? I'm confused !

Actually I would expect opposite numbers to have a pretty decent grasp on club's relative budgets in the league.

For one, sharing of this information can be mutually beneficial, particularly to prevent a race to the ceiling (by which I mean club's constantly outdoing another by upping wages on offer). Secondly when a player joins you'll want to know very close what he was earning at his last place so you can pitch your offer right. Thirdly when you sell a player you'd need to know what their salary is, otherwise there may be a payment due to them if they are taking a paycut. Fifthly loan deals where you pick  proportion of salary will confirm that. Finally, im sure players and managers alike discuss between them.

And fourthly?

The squad size is an interesting point. Some squads have 10 or more players more than ours does. 

Even if they're on low-end wages, no one is playing for free. I'd rather have a small squad of better players on higher than average wage then a large squad of dross that adds up to the same! 

The squad size is an interesting point. Some squads have 10 or more players more than ours does. 

Even if they're on low-end wages, no one is playing for free. I'd rather have a small squad of better players on higher than average wage then a large squad of dross that adds up to the same!

Burnley has long followed this policy and it hasn't done them any harm. Wasn't it a certain Steven Cotterill who implemented that approach?

"We went for it because the gas got relegated out the league".

You're suggesting that our spending was influenced by the results of an irrelevant rival and that we wouldn't have signed the likes of Freeman, Smith and Agard if Bristol Rovers were still playing in League 2?

I know for a fact our spending was influenced by the demise of NLBR. As much as we mock them, they are hardly an "irrelevant rival".

I know for a fact our spending was influenced by the demise of NLBR. As much as we mock them, they are hardly an "irrelevant rival".

In terms of the boardroom decisions the club makes on player spending I maintain that Bristol Rovers are irrelevant.

But I'll bite and ask how you know this "for a fact"?

I'd be intrigued to know the in's and out's of that, KITR

I'm done with this argument. I've said it before, if we were 15th no one would care how much we have, or have not spent. I've seen people on here slagging off Bournemouth, spending above their means....but with FFP you can't do that, unless you want to get a big fine. If it's spent well, and within the rules, then no one can complain. We have a small squad, how about someone highlights how many players we've used, or haven't used

I guarantee you we use this argument next season though, we'll get thumped by a bigger club, and we'll all trot out the 'how big is their budget' argument

It's a dream of a season, no one is going to spoil it for me

On another note - just read on bbc website, Keith Hill is having a right pop at Oldham officials after Rochdale got lamped there last week.....anyone know what happened? Sounds like a Swindon winning the league in November moment?

I'm pretty sure there's a lot of ways clubs can get around FFP, it's really not as strict or enforcing as people think it is. Forest were given a transfer embargo for breaching FFP and still managed to sign players, one of them being Todd Kane on loan.

KITR, I fail to see how Bristol Rovers success/failure has an effect on our spending. I really can't see that being true

In terms of the boardroom decisions the club makes on player spending I maintain that Bristol Rovers are irrelevant.

Really? Sponsorship, scouting network, youth system, crowds, loss/gain of Bristol Rugby...

Why wouldn't you use NLBR dropping out of the league to stamp your authority on the Bristol football scene? It was a once in a lifetime opportunity that HAD to be taken advantage of, and boy am I glad we have. Just hope they stay down there for a year or two more :fingerscrossed:

We've bought brilliantly since this managerial team have been together, with a few exceptions.

I don't think I can remember a team with so many new players gelling so quickly, effectively and harmoniously as this current squad.

I believe that out of what 9/10 players maybe 2 have not worked out/fulfilled potential/been worth the the wages/and or transfer fee.

Exceptional work.

Archived