IGNORED

Championship Relegations

22A

Radio 5 bleating about Blackpool relegated today, saying how they were a Premiership team just four years ago and invited fans to ring in. One fan stated the owner decided to run BFC as a business and not a football club. As a result they've a large amount of cash in the bank, but it should have been spent on the team. Yes, they did only have eight players when the season started, but with loans and signings, over 50 players have appeared for Blackpool this season.

Radio 5 then stated Wigan look like the next team to be relegated, five points adrift with five games left. Oddly no mention that they were in the Prem and winning the FA Cup just two years ago. Is that because Wigan aren't definitely down yet or is that Blackpool are a "famous club with a great tradition"? At 7.00pm it was announced Malky Mackay, who became Manager in November, had now been sacked.

Who else for the drop? I don't mind NOT playing Millwall next season.

Feel very sorry for Dave Whelan

Remember going to the old Springfield Park (Steve 'Rambo' Johnson's debut !!!! :laugh: ) and they've come a long way since then - thanks to the backing and running of the club by Dave Whelan - proper football bloke with love for his home club

With Dave Whelan stepping aside due to age I think it may be a long climb back up for Wigan if it happens at all

Hopefully the current two in the relegation places will go down with Blackpool.

The reasons :

Millwall : the list is endless

Wigan : James "oh, it's just too much for me to wear a poppy for 90 minutes" McClean

Shit town

Shit fans

Whelan .... oh, hang on...

McKay...... oh, hang on...

Great (albeit modern) stadium, mega rich owner, had a decent little run in the premier league won the FA Cup, got to the League Cup Final, doesn't sound like a 'league 2 club at best'??

Each to their own I suppose...

Gates is how I judge a club and theirs are shit.

Difference is, Blackpool's owner wants them to be a League One club as they can run as a successful business in that league. They will be players in League One, but they won't be held to ransom for paying silly fees and money. They only have 3 players still in contract in June, but I have a feeling they will walk this league next year with a strong team.

I can't see how Blackpool will be every other clubs cup final game, I think after a few weeks every other club will see them as lower league Blackpool, which is what they've been for most of the last 30 years.

Personally I couldn't pick a better 3 to go down than the current bottom 3 at the moment.

Some cracking games to be had in the Midlands and London next season.

caught a bit of 6-0-6 last night, and there was a Blackpool fan on there saying how hard it would be for them in L1 next year as they would be everyone else's cup final.................................... sound familiar?

Ha thats quite amusing they think that, the little success they have achieved must have gone to there heads. They Have spent the vast majority of there history in the lower leagues havnt they lets be honest..

Pretty shite facilites aswell, only had 2 properly built stands for years didnt they? Can always remember the wind howling around that ground Even now one of the side stands is a temp scaffold affair..

I worked with a Wiganer and she claimed they all supported Liverppol and Everton where she grew up. No one, in Wigan, cared for Wigan. They used to train on her school playing fields. They have seriously, seriously, seriously over achieved due to Whelan's passion and finance.

As for Blackpool being "everyone's cup final"; that is dellusion of gas proportions. Leeds, Wolves, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest, Southampton and Norwich have all been league one sides in recent memory.

Apparently Oyston has a number plate on his car that reads: Oyston Out

Pardon my language but, if true, that is taking the absolute piss!

No fan of Blackpool FC but I'd almost feel a very minor degree of sympathy for R*vers supporters if Higgs was showing such obvious distain for them.

Almost.

I actually originally have some family from Wigan - and thus I guess you could say I have a soft spot for them, especially when they were in the Premier League. IMO the club has done extremely well for a number of years to get 15000+ home gates considering the entire population is only about 100,000 I think, along with the fact that Man UTD and Liverpool are only 20 miles away, and that it is known as a rugby league town with a very successful team. I''d much rather see Millwall and Rotherham go down, but looks like Wigan's fate is all but sealed (8 points behind Rotherham having played one game more).

Difference is, Blackpool's owner wants them to be a League One club as they can run as a successful business in that league. They will be players in League One, but they won't be held to ransom for paying silly fees and money. They only have 3 players still in contract in June, but I have a feeling they will walk this league next year with a strong team.

With 3 pros signed up for next year any prediction like 'walk this league' is a big call.

I actually originally have some family from Wigan - and thus I guess you could say I have a soft spot for them, especially when they were in the Premier League. IMO the club has done extremely well for a number of years to get 15000+ home gates considering the entire population is only about 100,000 I think, along with the fact that Man UTD and Liverpool are only 20 miles away, and that it is known as a rugby league town with a very successful team. I''d much rather see Millwall and Rotherham go down, but looks like Wigan's fate is all but sealed (8 points behind Rotherham having played one game more).

I was about to write something similar (not the family side but the area in general)

Wigan in the 90's had one of the best Rugby League sides ever put together and with St Helens not too far away too, there is a more Rugby League fan base than football.

Even so, as you noted, they have both Manchester and Liverpool clubs to contend with locally as well as Blackburn (prem winners in the 90's) - and the fan base simply hasn't evolved over the years.

Gates is how I judge a club and theirs are shit.

Not as bad as ours.

Over the last nine years 6% of Wigan's population have watched their team on average at every home game based on the population of the Borough or nearly 19% based on the population of the Town itself.

In our most successful season in the Championship 3.8% of our population watched City.

So by your logic we are below a L2 team - so we're a conference team?

Feel very sorry for Dave Whelan

Remember going to the old Springfield Park (Steve 'Rambo' Johnson's debut !!!! :laugh: ) and they've come a long way since then - thanks to the backing and running of the club by Dave Whelan - proper football bloke with love for his home club

With Dave Whelan stepping aside due to age I think it may be a long climb back up for Wigan if it happens at all

I think you'll find Mr Whelan 'stepped aside' for more reason than age.....

And how anyone can feel sorry for that odious man is beyond me. Absolute gobshite. I believe he played in a Cup Final once, I think he may have mentioned it during one of his few radio / tv interviews in the last 15 years (sarcasm monitors should be going off now)

Just wondering why he's odious and a gobshite ?

He broke his leg in an FA cup final but I've not noticed him going on about it.

Odious - did you not hear the last couple of interviews he gave?

Gobshite - on every radio station going, pretty much non stop for the last 2 years of their time in the Prem. Although to give him credit, it saved me listening to Rodgers or Redknapp. They seem to be the only 3 that talk to everyone, all of the time

FA Cup / broken leg - in every interview he gave he mentioned it

Odious - did you not hear the last couple of interviews he gave?

Gobshite - on every radio station going, pretty much non stop for the last 2 years of their time in the Prem. Although to give him credit, it saved me listening to Rodgers or Redknapp. They seem to be the only 3 that talk to everyone, all of the time

FA Cup / broken leg - in every interview he gave he mentioned it

Correct.

Whelan is a proper rentaquote, and he's usually talking absolute drivel.

He's also always going on about breaking his leg.

Archived