IGNORED

Did Relegation Work Out For The Best?

ChippenhamRed

Since relegation in 2013, the club has been transformed for the better on and off the pitch. We now have a team far better equipped to compete in the Championship than the one that went down, yet we also have a smaller squad with a more manageable wage bill. We have a manager who seems to fit this club like a glove. Coupled with the stadium redevelopment, this all means (in my eyes at least) that there is now a huge sense of optimism about the future of this club.

Would all of this be the case had we just survived in the Championship two years ago? Or is it actually the case that relegation was, in hindsight, the best thing that could have happened to us?

Absolutely not for me.

If anything its held the club back two years.  We got it right the second season in this league.  However, it has given me immense confidence that the recruitment policy of this club has been outstanding.  I remember reading they have already identified the targets they want for next season.  Lets hope they do the business early and get the squad off to Botswana, as a fully unified group.

Its a good question, but I just don't see how 2 years in a lower league has benefited us in anyway.

Stevo

I think it did, I remember discussing it at one of the stadium open days with another fan and David Lloyd.

Get rid of the dross and start again - which is what we did. The 5 pillars were the start, showed that there was a plan. Then appointed Cotterill who really got things moving with Pemberton and Burt. 

Bizarre though I know it sounds, I think the turning point was the appointment of McInnes, in that that was the point where there was a realisation we needed to overhaul things behind the scenes and where the much-derided but in hindsight successful 5 pillars came in.  It's a shame it took us a while to get right but I think that's where the whole process started.

To return to the original question, I don't think relegation HAD to happen for things to improve but I think things were only going to improve if the club risked short-term setbacks in order to build for the longer term and relegation was a negative by-product of an ultimately positive process.

Absolutely not for me.

If anything its held the club back two years.  We got it right the second season in this league.  However, it has given me immense confidence that the recruitment policy of this club has been outstanding.  I remember reading they have already identified the targets they want for next season.  Lets hope they do the business early and get the squad off to Botswana, as a fully unified group.

Its a good question, but I just don't see how 2 years in a lower league has benefited us in anyway.

Stevo

It gave us a chance to rebuild instead of trying to consolidate our position in the Champ while losing loads of money, and paying too high wages

Hahaha you missed April Fool's by about a week. SOD must surely go down as one of the worst managers in FL history

He probably will but I think that's also the simplistic view.  SOD's results were disastrous but he also oversaw a process where we got rid of a lot of deadwood and signed 6 of the current squad, 5 of whom have had important roles to play this season (albeit Wagstaff somewhat less so).  He set us on the path to getting younger, hungrier players who could play football and destroyed much of the mentality that'd held us back in previous seasons.  Without question, he and the football were dour and SC felt like a breath of fresh air but I think SC had a much easier job coming in after SOD than he would coming in after McInnes (who, to be fair, probably had a tougher starting point than either of them). 

Ahahahaha. SoD was an all round disaster for this club. No two ways about it.

On the pitch, yes. But as others have alluded to, he may have had a positive effect to some extent off it in terms of things he put in place. I also remember the players saying how disappointed they were when he left, so I believe he had their respect, which suggests he was doing certain things right.

Maybe but the Championship is such a funny old league, we could have stayed up in 12/13 and then gone on to have had a good season in 13/14.. Its such an unpredictable league..

The one thing you have to say though as you have already mentioned Chip is the club is on much better footings going foward now.. The ground finally being done is a massive boost for us, really shows we are a club with ambition which i think we lacked a little at times in our last couple of seasons in the Championship.

On the pitch, yes. But as others have alluded to, he may have had a positive effect to some extent off it in terms of things he put in place. I also remember the players saying how disappointed they were when he left, so I believe he had their respect, which suggests he was doing certain things right.

Players always say that about out going managers. I'm not sure what he's supposed to have put in place behind the scenes either; from all accounts SC completely overhauled the club when he came in, from first team all the way down, so I don't know what, if anything, remains from the disaster that was SoD's tenure?

What's past is past; just too many variable to know what would have happened, really.

What I DO know is that we're in an excellent position to move forward from here; primarily young and talented (and lean in terms of numbers) squad, a seemingly well constructed recruitment policy, stadium redevelopment in full swing, a clearly ambitious manager with something to prove.

Lots of positives, and whether it happens on Tuesday or later than that, I'm really excited about seeing how this team tackle the Championship next year.

It gave us a chance to rebuild instead of trying to consolidate our position in the Champ while losing loads of money, and paying too high wages

I think there was clear direction to slash the wage bill and get rid of the dead wood.  Getting relegated was an ideal opportunity to clear the decks and rebuild, that there is no doubt.

However, I am not so sure we couldn't do that in the Championship, with additions we would have made.

Getting out of League 1 was obviously priority 1.  However, this league is not an easy league to get out of.  We have done it (bar the shouting) at the second time of asking. 

We got it right.  But conversely could have got it wrong, and would still be languishing down here.

SC came in and galvansied this club from top to bottom.  With an excellent recruitment policy, I believe we have a core of players that can take us into the championship and beyond!

With Fielding, Flint, Freeman and Agard we have a spine of a team, capable of mounting a serious bid next campaign.

Its a great time to be a City fan.  I just don't like the thought of acknowledging relegation as a good thing.  (However it has allowed us to turn things around)

Stevo

Quite possibly, but an excellent coach.

I'm interested to know what makes you say that?

I actually felt the times I could hear what he said he spoke a lot sense but if you go by results on the pitch which is pretty much all I could go on it told a different story.

Poor man management maybe

I think there was clear direction to slash the wage bill and get rid of the dead wood.  Getting relegated was an ideal opportunity to clear the decks and rebuild, that there is no doubt.

However, I am not so sure we couldn't do that in the Championship, with additions we would have made.

Getting out of League 1 was obviously priority 1.  However, this league is not an easy league to get out of.  We have done it (bar the shouting) at the second time of asking. 

We got it right.  But conversely could have got it wrong, and would still be languishing down here.

SC came in and galvansied this club from top to bottom.  With an excellent recruitment policy, I believe we have a core of players that can take us into the championship and beyond!

With Fielding, Flint, Freeman and Agard we have a spine of a team, capable of mounting a serious bid next campaign.

Its a great time to be a City fan.  I just don't like the thought of acknowledging relegation as a good thing.  (However it has allowed us to turn things around)

Stevo

The highlighted bit is important.

For all our talk of Sheffield United being a big team for this league, they'll have been in here for four years come this summer, and the way their form is just now, I'd not put my mortgage on them making it out via the playoffs this time either.

This league is a quagmire, which just highlights how extraordinarily good this season has been.

Messers Flint, Fielding, Pack, Williams and Emmanuel-Thomas say hello...

What the goalkeeper he dropped and ruined his confidence (according to Frankie) plus the centre half he said he wouldn't have paid the money for?

The guy was a total disaster or do you still hanker for the time when we scraped draws at home to Shrewsbury and Colchester?

I'm interested to know what makes you say that?

I actually felt the times I could hear what he said he spoke a lot sense but if you go by results on the pitch which is pretty much all I could go on it told a different story.

Poor man management maybe

I'll come back to you on that. Struggling with bloody Apple software update :(

Archived