IGNORED

Did Relegation Work Out For The Best?

ChippenhamRed

Absolutely not for me.

If anything its held the club back two years. We got it right the second season in this league. However, it has given me immense confidence that the recruitment policy of this club has been outstanding. I remember reading they have already identified the targets they want for next season. Lets hope they do the business early and get the squad off to Botswana, as a fully unified group.

Its a good question, but I just don't see how 2 years in a lower league has benefited us in anyway.

Stevo

It's brought back the feel good atmosphere if nothing else? A league a cup double on the horizon, something that not many lower league clubs ever experience (I don't care if it's only the JPT it's still a cup) and hopefully go back up with some momentum and solidarity

You and whose hedgehog?

More seriously, it's been a useful debate. Opinions have been aired without too much blood being shed. I've had my say and I'll leave it there.

Onwards and upwards under Cotterill, whose team has given me more pleasure than any since the heady days of Alan Dicks.

More seriously, it's been a useful debate. Opinions have been aired without too much blood being shed. I've had my say and I'll leave it there.

Onwards and upwards under Cotterill, whose team has given me more pleasure than any since the heady days of Alan Dicks.

Hear hear - now is a time for celebration, not bickering about past disappointments! :-)

Relegation was undoubtedly a watershed and in my view it turned out to be a cloud with a silver lining. Since then the club has changed significantly largely down to appointing the right people at the right time to manage the playing side of the club.

Until SoD was sacked there had never been a director of football at City. Im sure SoD wouldn't have wanted someone in that role and probably neither would have McInnes so employing someone to that role was long overdue and I applauded it. It was about time City moved into the modern infrastructure of the football world.

Obviously managers come and go and very few are succesful at every club they work for so appointing Cotterill was clearly a risk (just as any managerial appointment is) but this time it's proved to be the right one.

Sod wanted Burt to work as a director of football he wanted him at the club.

He wanted someone to identify players and he could be left to coach the players.

Think he said was part of him accepting job was that structure had to be in place so that when a manager left, it didn't effect the rest of the club.

As the original poster, it's been interesting to read the replies on this one. Seems like there is broad agreement that getting relegated hasn't done us any harm in terms of the long term outlook, but views are mixed on whether we could have gone through the same rebuilding process while still competing in the championship.

As the original poster, it's been interesting to read the replies on this one. Seems like there is broad agreement that getting relegated hasn't done us any harm in terms of the long term outlook, but views are mixed on whether we could have gone through the same rebuilding process while still competing in the championship.

I think staying in the championship for a couple more seasons would have just delayed what's happened at the club. We'd have ended up at this position at some point, so glad it's been done now, onwards and upwards.

I was also one of those that when we went down said it maybe for the best, fairplay though we could have just kept plummeting so well done all.

Sod wanted Burt to work as a director of football he wanted him at the club.

He wanted someone to identify players and he could be left to coach the players.

Think he said was part of him accepting job was that structure had to be in place so that when a manager left, it didn't effect the rest of the club.

I didn't know that but I did know that SoD wasn't an easy bloke to work with.

Maybe SoDs legacy is the appointment of Keith Burt. If that's so then we'll done the club for listening to SoD.

I think the telling factor is the footballing education the passing years and legacy of different managers and their approaches has given to Steve Lansdown. GJ, Coppell, Millen, DMC, SOD, and the different strategies employed by SL to support them (or undermine them on occasion) needed to happen for us to employ SC - a young ambitious manager but with some experience at this level - coupled with a policy to buy the best young ambitious players at this level that could get us up with potential to play in the league above.

From relative naivety on the footballing front SL has at least learned from his mistakes in terms of the managers he's appointed, and reflected on the best strategy to support him in terms of player recruitment.

Relegation played its part but no more so than any other failures in recent years. What's impressive has been SL's response to setbacks, his willingness to re-evaluate his strategy and steadfastness in seeing it through both on and off the field. (The AG redevelopment snatched from the jaws of the soap opera being another example).

Just to add my two pence

I said I'd answer that and I will.

Firstly, SoD's brief wasn't about results on the pitch, it was about building a structure and a squad for the future. All he was required to do was to keep us in the division, which he would have done.

Conjecture. I don't agree that SOD would have kept us up but of course we will never know who is best at predicting the future. We could both make reasonable cases either way so pointless trying to show why one's prediction is better.

Secondly, he is now a part of the England coaching structure, which suggests that someone recognises his talents.

Yes it does, but more important is the consideration who recognises his talents. The FA. Stuart Pearce, Graham Taylor, .... Brian Clough. There's been some guff within the England coaching structure as well as a load of missed opportunities. I don't think, given the FA's track record, we should presume anything about ability because of one of their appointments.

Thirdly, anyone looking at how SC's team plays the ball about when in possession must surely recognise the fruits of SoD's training. Remember that SC has worked with SoD before.

To me this point actually raises a few others which merit consideration. Firstly no I don't watch our team and identify how we are with the ball in possession as a hallmark of a SOD team. I wouldn't say I feel like there's some SOD legacy at work, in fact when we are in possession it looks like pretty normal fare game management. This isn't La Masia, SOD is not Guardiola and we haven't re-written the rule book.

Under SOD the one thing this team was not was confident in, despite endeavour, possession. Under SC playing with possession is one of our strengths. Why? Well to my mind there are two standout reasons. One, confidence. Confidence that SC was able to instill. Secondly, personnel. When you think about which players contribute most to our possession game, with the exception of Pack, its SC's team and not the team which SOD built or coached. It's Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Wilbraham, Pack/Elliot which give us our ability in possession. Unlike SOD, we now have round pegs in round holes.

As you invite us to remember SC worked with SOD before I remind that he (SC) has also worked with Harry Redknapp. I'm seeing a damn sight more of HR's influence here in the way that we take the impetus, take the game by the scruff of the neck, attack with pace, big guy quick guy up top, plenty of width and pace out wide, an in your face midfielder and a ball playing midfielder, intimidating centre back, one full blooded centre back. Then there's the sprinting out of the blocks - the intimidation; if anything this is the opposite of SOD's approach.

I'm not saying there are no elements of SODs influence here, but when HR's influence is so starkingly blatent, obvious and clear Sensie was undoubtedly HR and not SOD.

A final aside, given they have worked with eachother SC's comments about SOD or his role here (I would say the same even if they were derogatory) should be taken with at least some caution. One way or another his view will be to some extent clouded by the time they have worked with eachother, their respective relationship etc.

So, why the down on SoD so frequently expressed here?

Firstly, the results were poor, not dreadful, but poor. For those who never saw the team play, that was enough.

I'm not quite sure how you can say they were not dreadful. We lost almost half of the games he was in charge, won 1 in 4, went on our worst run in history and he took us to the bottom of the league altogether becoming our least successful manager ever. 'Not dreadful' - I doubt even during the general election campaigning we'll get spin like that. Calling results 'not dreadful' is like calling  results this season 'decent'.

Secondly, it was terrible to watch. I was pro-SoD, and even I described it as being like watching an England friendly. That wasn't a compliment. I imagine a practice session would have been just as unenthralling. You got the impression at times that he wanted to call them together for a huddle and a tactical talk. Skill was being shown and we did have JET, but no one was going to die of excitement.

You might, but I didn't. Bear in mind he had them in the changing rooms at 45 minute intervals, during natural breaks in play he can communicate, he has his captain on the field and his staff to help communicate also. When making substitutions he can relay different tactics.

I didn't see him from the half way line looking particularly animated trying to get any messages across, indeed I don't remember him doing anything from the touch line. Then we went in to each and every game in the exact same manner - like an England Friendly, a practice session. There was no sign he was trying to encourage any differently. Then SC came in and instantly it was like the rocket in the backside was lit - we went in to games on the front foot and with impetus. That almost instant transformation leads me to two natural conclusions: the players didn't want him or he was not trying to inject more urgency in to our play.

Thirdly, he sounded boring or even incomprehensible. In this, was badly served by Radio Bristol. His written comments were thoughtful and interesting. His spoken comments might have been, if any bugger could have heard them. The man clearly has a chronic chest problem and weak voice in a West Midlands accent. Why RB couldn't turn up the gain on their microphones, I really don't know*

Herein may lie part of the problem. He isn't a great communicator. He may be able to write a good thesis but if his ultimate benefit is hindsight he should have become a scout or a consultant.

Also if RB microphones couldn't pick him up, how do you think the players did on a field in failand? Based upon what I saw on the pitch, and saw on the pitch after he left, and am seeing on the pitch now, perhaps they didn't hear, or take on board his comments very well at all.

Those negatives don't imply that he made no contribution to the players' development or that of the club, but they weren't calculated to make the fans happy. Read the comments of the anti-SoD brigade and tell me I'm wrong!

* Actually I do, it's because they're incompetent tossers, but that's not the point.

The advent of ffp made Steve Lansdown realise that the clubs financial structure had to change in order to make the club financially self sufficient.

The very real threat of relegation from the championship made him realise that a top to bottom restructure was essential in order to make us competitive on the pitch and to remain competitive both financially and in footballing terms if we were ever to make a sustained bid for promotion out of the championship.

Starts were made on both fronts while we were still in the championship ( DMac started a clear out and SOD started the 5 pillars process) but I think that relegation was the catalyst for making the very real change on the playing side that enabled us to move on the dead wood players that had been dragging us down for so long, and replace them with the type of players who better fit the much derided 5 pillars principles. It is impossible to say that relegation has been a good thing, as none of us know how things would have turned out had relegation been avoided  3 seasons ago, but my feeling is that the danger then would have been that it would have been that the recipe would have been more likely to feature too much of "more of the same".

The other key factor is that it wasn't relegation, but fear of a second and potentially fatal relegation to league 2 that meant the SOD went and we brought in SC , who has been able to capitalise on all the above by clearing out the remaining deadwood and build in it's place possibly the best team we've seen in a long time. Of course, some of that team where here under SOD, but SC has got them playing at a different level than we ever saw under SOD.

All true, and what makes me laugh the most is those on here who say SC was left with a "mess".

He was left with a small, young squad of players some of whom had great potential ie Flint, Bryan. A month after SC joined the last of the high-earners were paid off so he was able to heavily strengthen with 5/6 signings. That's in addition to all the off-field, behind the scenes improvements that were going on.

As BCFC managers go SC found himself in a very nice position to be taking over. Compare that situation to say the mess Pulis left us with, Coppell, even Danny Wilson...

Its true.. Position wise it will always work in the favour of SC.. Its the perfect line for the press to churn out, 'cotterill has taken City from the bottom of league 1 to champions in just over a year' etc etc.. But it was the clearing of the deadwood by others which allowed him to literally hand pick the best league 1 talent last summer which is conveniently over looked by many..

I do like Cotterill but think we have to be carefull in boosting him up too much IMO.. I think next season will be a big test for him, his record isnt brilliant in tne Championship. I work with diehard Forest fan who goes home and away and he has said we should all be a tad 'cautious' next year in the Championship with him at the helm.. We shall see!

All true, and what makes me laugh the most is those on here who say SC was left with a "mess".

He was left with a small, young squad of players some of whom had great potential ie Flint, Bryan. A month after SC joined the last of the high-earners were paid off so he was able to heavily strengthen with 5/6 signings. That's in addition to all the off-field, behind the scenes improvements that were going on.

As BCFC managers go SC found himself in a very nice position to be taking over. Compare that situation to say the mess Pulis left us with, Coppell, even Danny Wilson...

While all of that is very true, the mess SC did inherit was the mess of a team at the bottom of the table and heading for the league 2 basement. 

This season SC may well have benefitted hugely from the ground work put in by SOD. However, when he took over  the almost immediate improvement he achieved on the pitch, with essentially SOD's players, was not almost nothing short of miraculous, but something I cannot believer would have been possible had SOD remained at the helm. Had SOD remained in charge, I am certain that SC would have been taking over a division 4 team at the start of this season.

While all of that is very true, the mess SC did inherit was the mess of a team at the bottom of the table and heading for the league 2 basement. 

This season SC may well have benefitted hugely from the ground work put in by SOD. However, when he took over  the almost immediate improvement he achieved on the pitch, with essentially SOD's players, was not almost nothing short of miraculous, but something I cannot believer would have been possible had SOD remained at the helm. Had SOD remained in charge, I am certain that SC would have been taking over a division 4 team at the start of this season.

That is exactly my feeling too.

To even suggest SC had inherited anything other than a mess is as ludicrous to me as would be the suggestion Pulis was good for this club. Have we forgotten the position we were in? No win in first 13, off the back of relegation, only 2 wins up until the end of November, not playing well and no improvement in performances.... but never mind SL said Sean has helped make great strides at U21 level and academy level so this job is going to be a piece of cake.

Can't believe we settled on SC, it was such an easy job Mourinho would've been keen surely?!

In hindsight...I personally think, the Club made the right move to dismiss SoD at the time they did.

I don't think the relationship was going to get any better at the Club for various reasons.

I liked his vision and his way...many don't.

But we will never know as to whether SoD could have improved our season like SC did.

SC used the transfer window and loan window remarkably well.

I think both what SoD and SC is doing for the Club now, has made us what we are now. Both in different ways.

Unfortunately it seems many can't see the wood for the trees, and just see results, but not what has led up to those results being achieved.

Often it is a healthy club from within, that does well... we seem to have sorted that.

To even suggest SC had inherited anything other than a mess is as ludicrous to me as would be the suggestion Pulis was good for this club. Have we forgotten the position we were in? No win in first 13, off the back of relegation, only 2 wins up until the end of November, not playing well and no improvement in performances.... but never mind SL said Sean has helped make great strides at U21 level and academy level so this job is going to be a piece of cake.

Can't believe we settled on SC, it was such an easy job Mourinho would've been keen surely?!

Couldn't agree more. Plus if both McInnis and SOD were doing such great jobs in overhauling the club and setting them on the right path as many on here suggest, then why did the board SACK the pair of them!

So to precis.

Millen started the revolution, DMC improved it and SOD improved it further.

SC simplified SOD's complicated playing system and added the lacking quality, got the squad fit and brought about an incredible team spirit (something lacking for 5 years), him and his coaching staff seems to have improved the over all all round games of Fielding, Williams, Bryan, Pack and especially Flint and made the inspired signing of Wilbraham (even though the general consensus was he was not good enough for the mighty BCFC and one ITK even mocking BCFC's recruitment policy over his signing) and it would appear even Burt's role has improved under SC, because the ITK didn't rate him under SOD.

Er...we all know that in terms of results we were a mess. 9 times out of 10 when a new manager comes in its because results have been poor. There are still many other things that can be wrong or issues that present particular challenges for a manager when he joins a club. I am merely saying that SC did not join this club when it was dying on its arse, far from it, things were moving in a very positive direction off the pitch, he had little in the way of dead wood to clear and had substantial finances available (at this level) to strengthen the team. Compare that to the dead wood that needed to be cleared after Coppell and Pulis in particular, there is no comparison...

A topic defending SODs time here?

We have had Spudski & KITR, I just need Harry for a full house! ;)

Nobody can defend him. Only time I had to consider whether I wanted to go to home games. Says it all.

Er...we all know that in terms of results we were a mess. 9 times out of 10 when a new manager comes in its because results have been poor. There are still many other things that can be wrong or issues that present particular challenges for a manager when he joins a club. I am merely saying that SC did not join this club when it was dying on its arse, far from it, things were moving in a very positive direction off the pitch, he had little in the way of dead wood to clear and had substantial finances available (at this level) to strengthen the team. Compare that to the dead wood that needed to be cleared after Coppell and Pulis in particular, there is no comparison...

Whatever the great strides being made and inherited by SC behind the scenes the trouble is the club was dying on it's ass in the most important element, staring down the barrel of a 2nd relegation and some on here believed that to be reasonable trade off because we had SOD as our manager, there certainly is a comparison to our results under the 2 you mentioned and let's not forget that the deadwood culling was brought about mainly by relegation and the fallout that that caused under FFP and not some road to Damascus conversion or some grand plan by SOD.

SO'D, for all the bad play and results, gave the club a clear direction and helped us rebuild.

I suppose you give "a clear direction" by showing how not to do it. The direction is 100% in the opposite way. "It's all about the process, not the result," is something I never want to hear at AG again.

I don't buy into this "great coach" myth either. Under O'Driscoll our set pieces (taking and defending) became shambolic, passing was wayward - apart from short taps between defenders, players drifted out of position, we never seemed to know what to do with throw ins, and even the first touch of some regular team members seemed to get worse.

In the end though, I think the relegation was inevitable from the time Johnson was unable to build on the side whose team spirit and momentum carried them so far in their first Championship season. He just wasn't experienced enough or had the contacts at that level and when the going got tough, various players saw the less endearing side of his personality, and man management problems hastened the cracking apart of that hitherto cohesive unit.

Cotterill also has much to prove at Championship level, and it will be fascinating to see if he continues the good principles he has established since he arrived here. We have the best players on the whole in this division, but "fantasy football team" sides can fall about without that squad spirit, high morale and even the certain touch of (qualified) arrogance that I think Steve has brought.

Its true.. Position wise it will always work in the favour of SC.. Its the perfect line for the press to churn out, 'cotterill has taken City from the bottom of league 1 to champions in just over a year' etc etc.. But it was the clearing of the deadwood by others which allowed him to literally hand pick the best league 1 talent last summer which is conveniently over looked by many..

I do like Cotterill but think we have to be carefull in boosting him up too much IMO.. I think next season will be a big test for him, his record isnt brilliant in tne Championship. I work with diehard Forest fan who goes home and away and he has said we should all be a tad 'cautious' next year in the Championship with him at the helm.. We shall see!

What is true is that he took over at a great time in terms of the cycle of contracts, moving on Elliott, Fontaine, Pearson and Carey clearly freed up plenty of funds.

But what is not so obvious is that he acted quickly and decisively when assessing the quality of those at his disposal. Harewood, Shorey and Ryan Taylor were gone in a flash and even last summer he chose to move on Parrish, Moloney and Kelly, all of whom were under contract and had their supporters on here.

Whilst Burt can rightly take credit for his part in our incomings I doubt he is hugely involved in departures.

As for next year I'm more worried by unrealistic expectations than I am by Cotterill himself, walking out against Barnsley I heard supporters ahead of me talking about a play off challenge next season!

John Pelling said we will have a bottom six budget next season and for me avoiding those places, whilst completing the ground development, will be the definition of success.

Ok, I am merely saying otherwise, that whilst things behind the scenes may have improved [i highlight may for reasons which will become apparent later], at our core business we were at the lowest we have been in almost a decade with no signs of that changing. He may have improved some aspects, but he took his eye off the ball of what he is the custodian of, the first team. Not only did he take the eye off the ball, our assets (players) deteriorated under him.

For me this can actually be boiled down relatively simply. Some people were so entrenched by Doncaster's performance here and impressed by SODs interviews that he became someone they would really want to manage the club - a bit like you'll find with Lee Johnson, there's a not insignificant bunch who hope he manages us one day. When we finally got SOD these people felt times were a-changing and he was going to get us playing the style and brand of football we all wanted. Fast forward to November 2013 and it is obvious SOD has to go, which he did. However, the more entrenched, die hard fans of SOD who would seemingly forgive him taking a crap in their kettle, justify their insistance that he's still a good manager and their insistance that he was good for us overall by taking on a statement from SL* and whatever other sources they can find to support their position but most tell-tale; it's always an abstract or an intangible that he improved; never anything identifiable, measurable and tangible.

*Re SL comments or others' it would be naive in the extreme to take these at face value. SL, SC, KB etc are not stupid. Paying lip service and praising efforts and some achievement of a former member of staff is normal and costs nothing; failure to do so can be very costly - you never know where someone may just end up - look at SOD now employed by the FA and in the England youth setup. Publicly calling him incompetent on the way out, even if justified, wouldn't have been very savvy now would it.

Cotterill also has much to prove at Championship level, and it will be fascinating to see if he continues the good principles he has established since he arrived here. We have the best players on the whole in this division, but "fantasy football team" sides can fall about without that squad spirit, high morale and even the certain touch of (qualified) arrogance that I think Steve has brought.

SC did well at Burnley to be fair. A side that he largely built got promoted to the Prem the season after he left.

What I hope we don't see is the negative manager that SC was at Forest and Pompey. This team is bubbling with confidence at the moment and scoring goals and I hope "The New SC" keeps that going in the C'ship and doesn't start worrying about the opposition too much and forgo our attacking impetus like many, if not all, of his predecessors did whilst in the C'ship.

We still need to add 2/3 quality players and I will await the opening day before making any predictions. But at this moment in time I don't see us struggling in that league next season.

People can defend O'Driscoll all they like, but I still vividly remember the sheer lack of effort, desire and passion shown by his team in the last seven or eight games of the Championship relegation season, when us fans were stumping up hard-earned money and investing all our hope in a determined last stand. That, for me, is indefensible and SOD should have been dismissed at the end of that season.

SC did well at Burnley to be fair. A side that he largely built got promoted to the Prem the season after he left.

What I hope we don't see is the negative manager that SC was at Forest and Pompey. This team is bubbling with confidence at the moment and scoring goals and I hope "The New SC" keeps that going in the C'ship and doesn't start worrying about the opposition too much and forgo our attacking impetus like many, if not all, of his predecessors did whilst in the C'ship.

We still need to add 2/3 quality players and I will await the opening day before making any predictions. But at this moment in time I don't see us struggling in that league next season.

Amen to all that, bro.

and neither do any of us, but I think it would incredibly disingenuous not to mention the plight that both clubs were in when he took over, rendering it a non argument.

I share some concerns also.

Like I have mentioned above I think working with Harry Redknapp has really rubbed off on SC and the team he has put together is in that image. Very entertaining indeed, but as the quality of the opposition improves I can honestly see us getting, as well as giving, a few thumpings. Like you (I presume) I don't believe that a more conservative approach would yield a net better position so I would like to see from SC conviction in his approach, although not dogged conviction in the absence of reason or logic.

Archived