IGNORED

Being At The Game Where City Were Promoted

North London Red

So two of our last three promotions were mathematically confirmed without City playing (in 98 it was due to Grimsby dropping points the day before we went to Burnley, and in 90 it was due to Notts County dropping points, if memory serves).

Actually seeing City promoted at the final whistle of one our own games is relatively rare: it has only happened 4 times in 50 years - Rotherham at home in 2007, Chester away in 1984, Portsmouth at home in 1976, and the final day win against Oldham at Ashton Gate in 1965. Anyone on here make it to all four?

What was your favourite of these? What memories of the day(s) do you have?

Here's hoping tomorrow night in Bradford joins that list.

Was a 12 year old at the Portsmouth game in 76 which ended 64 years outside of the top flight. Cannot believe it is now 35 years since we were last there. It wasn't a great game,Clive Whitehead scored after 4 minutes and the rest of the game was a blur. Thousands lined the pitch and prayed for the final whistle. When it came my Dad and myself ran onto the pitch and I took a piece of the pitch which I still have in a school book. I wrote a record of it for English the next day !! On the following Saturday we played Notts County at home and had a chance to win the league. We lost 2-1 and handed the league to Sunderland. Even at the tender age of 12 it was clear the City lads had been celebrating a little too much. Great days !!!

I was at the Pompey game, brilliant.

Chester was the best day out ever.

Rotherham was there, and even at the Reading Vs |Notts Co game in 1990 but missed County's equaliser..

I'm keener to be at the Championship winning game, that'll be a first 

So two of our last three promotions were mathematically confirmed without City playing (in 98 it was due to Grimsby dropping points the day before we went to Burnley, and in 90 it was due to Notts County dropping points, if memory serves).

Actually seeing City promoted at the final whistle of one our own games is relatively rare: it has only happened 4 times in 50 years - Rotherham at home in 2007, Chester away in 1984, Portsmouth at home in 1976, and the final day win against Oldham at Ashton Gate in 1965. Anyone on here make it to all four?

Yes, I was at all four. Only sorry I can't be at Valley Parade tonight in case it goes for us. But as long as we confirm promotion that's good enough for me.

The other thing to take into account is, was the game last chance saloon?

For instance, if we win tonight, it won't be as major a celebration as it might as we know we've still got a few games to seal it and probably got enough points anyway.

Chester was unforgettably brilliant as it was our last game of the season and

we needed a point,. Never forget that day.

I think this seasons moment will be when/if we win the title, hopefully on a day we are actually playing.

I was at the Pompey and Rotherham games and clearly remember Whitehead and Nobles goals. I honestly don't remember the Cheter or Oldham games but its probable that I was there.

I think you'd remember the Chester game if you were there.

There wasn't that many of us, maybe about a thousand, and it really marked the end of what was an horrendous few years of record breaking relegations and going bust.

We were back!

Three for me. Oldham, Portsmouth and Rotherham. Remember nothing about the Oldham game other than at the final wistle my Uncle Tony took me onto the pitch (my Dad said no no no) and with a pair of scissors snipped some grass from the pitch. I stil have mine which have been in an old style photo album for 50 years!

Three for me. Oldham, Portsmouth and Rotherham. Remember nothing about the Oldham game other than at the final wistle my Uncle Tony took me onto the pitch (my Dad said no no no) and with a pair of scissors snipped some grass from the pitch. I stil have mine which have been in an old style photo album for 50 years!

You smuggled scissors into a football ground? How very dare you! I hope that you didnt run with them - you could have taken someone's eye out.

I was at all four but I won't be there tonight. Nevertheless, I hope that we seal it tonight and that everyone who is going travels safely and enjoys a memorable occasion.

You smuggled scissors into a football ground? How very dare you! I hope that you didnt run with them - you could have taken someone's eye out.

I was at all four but I won't be there tonight. Nevertheless, I hope that we seal it tonight and that everyone who is going travels safely and enjoys a memorable occasion.

It was my Uncle Tone - honest guv!

Was at Rotherham game. Fair play to the Millers fans who remained behind to take part in the celebrations. I could've gone to the Pompey game having seen several games that season, but my mates had an important match that night playing for Bridge Farm Utd under 13s and persuaded me to watch that instead. I think it finished 2-2 and when I got home heard the last few mins of the Pompey game on Radio Bristol having heard at the Bridge Farm game that City had taken an early lead from someone at the ground tuned into a portable radio, I think it was the Bridge Farm centre-half.

Still find it bizarre that I chose to watch Bridge Farm Utd Under 13s!!!

Thought has just struck me that perhaps I should've watched Bridge Farm Under 45s instead on the day City lost to Hull at Wembley.

I started following City properly around 2002, so just the one promotion day for me, and what a day it was! The roar of relief and elation around AG when Noble's half volley hit the back of the net to put us 1-0 up is something that will stay with me forever. It had been a long 8 years!

Remember the Portsmouth game very well, ripped the ass out of my trousers getting over the railings at the final whistle.

Up the boozer after bearing both cheeks, what a night.

Thanks, a 39 year old mystery finally solved. I recall seeing a full moon that night but when I checked the astrological charts was astonished to see that there wasn't a full moon until 2 weeks later. I even asked Patrick Moore and even he had no credible answer to this strange phenomenon. What a relief, just a shame that doyen of The Sky at Night went to his grave without knowing the answer.

3 out of 4, missed the 1965 game as I was only 5.

The Chester game stands out, hundreds of fans next to the 8 foot chicken wire fence undoing the fastenings, out of sight of the coppers surrounding the pitch.

It was quite a sight when the fence went just before the final whistle. :)

Rotherham game I won't ever forget.  I had undergone heart surgery 2 weeks before the game, and had to ask my surgeon if it was OK to go. At first he said no, but then relented and said as long as I stayed in my seat for 90 mins and didn't stand, clap, jump or otherwise move about it would be OK.

I ended up sitting on my hands so I didn't accidentally do any of the above. Everyone around me must have thought I was a right miserable sod!

Portsmouth - sat in the Dolman as Whitehead struck home the winner - Magic

Chester  - we are on the way back it was a long season

Rotherham - always confident we would win

Tonight - i'm just leaving Bristol with my 3 kids COYR   confident

Thanks, a 39 year old mystery finally solved. I recall seeing a full moon that night but when I checked the astrological charts was astonished to see that there wasn't a full moon until 2 weeks later. I even asked Patrick Moore and even he had no credible answer to this strange phenomenon. What a relief, just a shame that doyen of The Sky at Night went to his grave without knowing the answer.

Like it. Strange you should humour on that topic as my passion other than football is astro photography.

Oldham I was not alive, Portsmouth pre-dated my 1st trip to AG, and didn't go to Chester, so only have the happy memories of Rotherham.  Cracking day out.

Been there for each of them.

The game against Oldham was the most memorable and emotional.I was just a nipper.

Went with me dad, uncle and brother. I didn't think we'd do it - but the others did.

Hey ho! Atyeo!

Seeing Big John Atyeo with tears of joy made me appreciate just how much Bristol City meant to him.

The Portsmouth was the most special and important. I was 100% sure we'd do it. It was closer than I thought it would be.

Then in the final game of the season Notts County decided to crash our party and beat us.

Took my boys to the Chester and Rotherham games.

Archived