IGNORED

Ex Alcoholic Sag In Trouble With The Rozzers And Gone Down!

SuperFly2002

It seems to me that you are in recovery and as long as you avoid that first alcoholic drink you'll continue to be in recovery. You know by now that any alcoholic drink will send you straight back to where you once were.

I rest my case.

No I simply don't want to drink. I cook roast beef with 2 glasses of red wine in it, I don't go rushing back to polish off the bottle. I spent years drinking to kill depression, but it kills your insides. I have no interest in drinking but if I wanted to, I could have one and not have another. I don't need to drink to have a good time and I didn't drink because I enjoyed it, I drank because I was addicted and I've seem the images of the damage to my body it's done, so why would I want to do that to my body. I now have a family and kids, much more important things to live for then drink. Drinking doesn't interest me, I'm happy being clear minded every day. I don't avoid drink, I spend a lot of time around people who drink and there's always drink in the house, but it doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Ex-alcoholics don't exist. Once a alcohol dependant person you'll always be alcohol dependant. The proper term is "recovering alcoholic". It applies to those who have stopped using alcohol.

I take your point, but if ex-alcoholics don't exist, how can someone be described as a "recovering alcoholic", when they'll never recover?

Maybe "coping alcoholic" would be more logical?

i agree with you 100%.

as a recovering alcoholic, i had many attempts at giving up and cutting down to a sensible limit, all with the same end product,always led to being out of control.

the only way is total abstinence for me and have done so since millenium night,knowing full well that i probably would be back to square 1 if i so much as tried to have a sociable pint.

a certain Alan robinson at the robert smith unit in clifton kept me on the rails for the first 6 months

Well done mate. I have a friend who has done a similar thing, and I know how hard it was for her, particularly in the early days. Like yourself, she would not risk the temptation of having just one drink "to be sociable".  She has recently been asked to do some voluntary work with alcoholics, and is hoping that she will be able to help others get their lives back on track.

I take your point, but if ex-alcoholics don't exist, how can someone be described as a "recovering alcoholic", when they'll never recover?

I am a recovering alcoholic of nearly twenty years now, I still regard myself as an alcoholic even though I no longer drink.

there is no cure for this illness, just abstinence.

Abstinent alcoholics refer to themselves as "recovering". The first time I heard that was at an AA meeting early in my career.

A "coping" alcoholic could give the impression that they are it hard to stay abstinent. Very often that's way off the mark.

I am a recovering alcoholic of nearly twenty years now, I still regard myself as an alcoholic even though I no longer drink.

there is no cure for this illness, just abstinence.

Obviously your personal experiences with booze and subsequent recovery have taught you that. Maybe you've seen others lapse after a period of abstinence and that has completely convinced you of how life long the illness is.

Well done mate. I have a friend who has done a similar thing, and I know how hard it was for her, particularly in the early days. Like yourself, she would not risk the temptation of having just one drink "to be sociable".  She has recently been asked to do some voluntary work with alcoholics, and is hoping that she will be able to help others get their lives back on track.

i have often wondered if i could do this but dont think i would cope too well with those that listened but didnt give it a fair crack.

i know i pissed off just about everybody i knew with false promises etc,only to go straight back on it when it felt  right.

takes a long time to earn respect back and i take my hat off to anybody else  like your friend,cottsciderarmy and westhillred for sticking to it. yes it is hard at first but soon becomes apparent you are better off without it just like everyone was telling you in the first place when you didnt want to listen

I try not to get annoyed on here but this has really wound me up. Have you even read the article? He's scum. End of. Deserves absolutely no sympathy of any kind.

The Swindon and Gas jokes were a bit of fun. Lighten up for **** sake

You decide he is scum, you say it's all a joke, and I should lighten up.

You make my point rather well.

Jeez fella, you're po faced. It was a bit of a pisstake of a rather unsavoury character being ex sag and from Swindon.

I know you have form for masturbating over Rovers, but wind your neck in.

From what I have I have gleaned about Chris Zebroski, he's a an unpleasant type, regardless of alcohol consumption.

Don't presume to judge me...you have never met me.

You presume a lot, however all your posts are vindictive,so you have form, if you can't take don't give it. There you go with your comments about me and rovers, what a childish comment, I am City through and through, but even that you have to question, can't stand folk who pull that one, very poor.

You decide he is scum, you say it's all a joke, and I should lighten up.

You make my point rather well.

Do you feel sorry for Ched Evans then? He was drunk when he raped that girl. The fact Zebroski was drunk at the time should not give cause for sympathy for his disgraceful actions which have landed him 4 years.

Do you feel sorry for Ched Evans then? He was drunk when he raped that girl. The fact Zebroski was drunk at the time should not give cause for sympathy for his disgraceful actions which have landed him 4 years.

Being drunk and commiting any crime especially rape is no defence, but what gets me is that any such crime on here always has to have a connection with either gas swindle or whatever 'six fingered inbred' supporters that seem to fill this forums contentzzzzzzzzz.

Being drunk and commiting any crime especially rape is no defence, but what gets me is that any such crime on here always has to have a connection with either gas swindle or whatever 'six fingered inbred' supporters that seem to fill this forums contentzzzzzzzzz.

If you find it tedious then that's fair enough and your opinion, but like I said before I think you should lighten up a bit. At the end of the day we're rivals, and rivals take the piss out of eachother. None of us genuinely think he's scum just because he's from Swindon and has played for the Gas. I've made that judgement based on the crimes he's committed. What really annoyed me was how you said we should sympathise with him. Based on what? The fact he claims to be an alcoholic? Whether he is or not that's no excuse for what he's done.

If you find it tedious then that's fair enough and your opinion, but like I said before I think you should lighten up a bit. At the end of the day we're rivals, and rivals take the piss out of eachother. None of us genuinely think he's scum just because he's from Swindon and has played for the Gas. I've made that judgement based on the crimes he's committed. What really annoyed me was how you said we should sympathise with him. Based on what? The fact he claims to be an alcoholic? Whether he is or not that's no excuse for what he's done.

And his bloody judgements about people he doesn't know from Adam. This is a poxy football forum, for some irreverent pisstaking, not The Times letters page. I don't know how he can go to the match if he is so precious.

I have friends who are alcoholics, but not reprehensible ***** like Zebroski

I think this thread should be locked. Probably more so than any I've ever read.

Telling an ex alcoholic that you can never been an ex alcoholic is a little close to the bone for my liking. No matter how much you rate yourself as an expert.

Fordy and I mean this with respect but you simply don't understand what alcohol dependency ( alcoholism in your language) is all about.

You either have to experience it or spend years working with people who have it to grasp the concept of it. I fall into the later catagory. I haven't worked in this area for over 5 years but have not/will not ever forget what I learnt in 26 years as an addiction counsellor. It's an illness that I care much about.

Archived