IGNORED

Gary Johnson's Player Pledge At Cheltenham

MetzRed

Johnson made the players sign a pledge at Cheltenham to certify that they would give 100% to help keep the team in the league but it seems like the initiative might have backfired a bit. "Some of them signed it and didn't mean it," he says, so we'll have to wait and see whether it works or not. But I always thought that was what made GJ a great manager and a bad one who couldn't turn things around. Through our promotion season and the year we made it to the playoff final against Hull he obviously had the players (not the most talented bunch of lads; there's more talent in the squad this time) playing for each other and the results were amazing. But his rugged all or nothing approach ends up alienating some of the players and then when things go south after a while he starts bickering with them about their commitment. You only have to look at the supposed fallings out he had with McIndoe or with Ishmael Miller at Yeovil.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32433824

Johnson made the players sign a pledge at Cheltenham to certify that they would give 100% to help keep the team in the league but it seems like the initiative might have backfired a bit. "Some of them signed it and didn't mean it," he says, so we'll have to wait and see whether it works or not. But I always thought that was what made GJ a great manager and a bad one who couldn't turn things around. Through our promotion season and the year we made it to the playoff final against Hull he obviously had the players (not the most talented bunch of lads; there's more talent in the squad this time) playing for each other and the results were amazing. But his rugged all or nothing approach ends up alienating some of the players and then when things go south after a while he starts bickering with them about their commitment. You only have to look at the supposed fallings out he had with McIndoe or with Ishmael Miller at Yeovil.

Couldn't of fallen out with McIndoe that badly as he joined us after!! 

Where is Miller these days, used to be a great prospect but attitude clearly ruined him.

Indeed, I mean spirits were incredibly high when he joined and during our 9 consecutive defeats. Turned Yeovil around when he went there as Skiverton was out of his depth. Why let successes cloud a story though?

Are you Robboreds french cousin..?

Indeed, I mean spirits were incredibly high when he joined and during our 9 consecutive defeats. Turned Yeovil around when he went there as Skiverton was out of his depth. Why let successes cloud a story though?

I should have been clearer and said that whilst I do think he can motivate a struggling team at the beginning, one that he has just joined, I don't see as he can rally his own team once it loses momentum and begins to struggle.

I should have been clearer and said that whilst I do think he can motivate a struggling team at the beginning, one that he has just joined, I don't see as he can rally his own team once it loses momentum and begins to struggle.

I take the point but I don't see that really as being tested personally. Management is too short a game.

He fell out with McIndoe at City, not at Yeovil.

And wasn't it because McIndoe went to the papers and stated that in his opinion not enough quality had been brought in, basically we weren't good enough. So was he not proved right? Ok he maybe should not have said it, and he may have had loads of other stuff going on as we now know he wasn't a saint, but that doesn't make him wrong.

I said when he was appointed that he might not be the right man to keep them up but I'd have confidence in him getting them back up again if he stays there.

He always said "If you want to motivate players, get players who can be motivated", and we could qualify that further as players who respond to his particular methods of motivation. If he's got those players then great but I suspect he probably doesn't or they wouldn't be in this mess.

He'll need at least one transfer window to get the players he needs. He had both a transfer and a loan window to work with at City and he made full use of them. Had he taken over in March he'd probably have relegated us.

Really...?

No, now you've gone and given him cause to post again. I'd be amazed if he will have any response which justifies his view, which he so clearly and dearly wants to air: but only upon request.

Johnson fell out with every player that saw through him.

My uncle used to train with some of the old players at Ashton Gate. Brian Drysdale plus others. They used to do circuit training down there and run up and down dolman steps. They did this for many years until GJ's rain when he put a stop to it. My uncle still doesn't know why.

My uncle used to train with some of the old players at Ashton Gate. Brian Drysdale plus others. They used to do circuit training down there and run up and down dolman steps. They did this for many years until GJ's rain when he put a stop to it. My uncle still doesn't know why.

Because it's not the 1970s anymore?

He fell out with McIndoe at City, not at Yeovil.

McIndoe fell out at Yeovil, City and also at Wolves as well - who he also deemed not good enough for him.

Falling out with Mcindoe has more to do with the player being a total tithead than anything to do with the manager.

My dad was working as a builder on a job down at Ashton Gate when they used to do this.

He said he watched Gerry Sweeney tear up and down so impressed at the fitness and pace.

He said for all the good it did them, the following saturday he watched Mick Channon knock the ball past him and leave him for dead on the counter....

Johnson made the players sign a pledge at Cheltenham to certify that they would give 100% to help keep the team in the league but it seems like the initiative might have backfired a bit. "Some of them signed it and didn't mean it," he says, so we'll have to wait and see whether it works or not.

Typical Gary Johnson line. Perhaps he'll have to chuck a few hand grenades. 

Archived