IGNORED

Thank You Sean O'd

22A

I can't think of much to thank him for.  Mind you I expect it was Keith Burt who signed those players or at least that was the logic used by some when Cotterill started making good signings.  

SOD was pretty much an all-round disaster.  

I can't think of much to thank him for.  Mind you I expect it was Keith Burt who signed those players or at least that was the logic used by some when Cotterill started making good signings.  

SOD was pretty much an all-round disaster.

True but , and give me a little leeway here , if he hadn't had been sooooo bad then this season wouldn't have been soooo good  :blink:  ;)

What's far, far, far more telling is he took that lot on our longest ever losing run.

Just goes to show what a terrible manager he is.

What is also telling is how so many people was taken in by his pseudo intellect and tactics.

So the players signed this season were burts doing but last season was sods doing?

Sorry not thanking him for anything sod was the worst thing to happen to this club he was an awful manager with no bottle and every player under him regressed

All the stats back that up despite people trying to rewrite history

If there was a list of bad managers at this club sod would be too followed by pulis in a distant second and Osman in 3rd

To what extent SO'D has contributed to our success this year is a very interesting point, and you can't dismiss the notion out of hand that we owe him some gratitude. It strikes me that:

• After McInnes we needed an overhaul: O'Driscoll did that.
  • We needed to clear out a lot of deadwood and sign some good players: if O'Driscoll had not signed Fielding, Flint, Williams and Pack, would we be where we are today?
  • We were always going to go through a bad patch as the team was rebased: all clubs in the position we were in do that.  It happened after Tinnion, when Johnson had to lead us through a very grim period before we turned the corner, and you can look at a club like Southampton which had to 'take its medicine' in League One before being able to progress.
  • O'Driscoll got the whole club thinking differently and, I think, actually thinking more positively as whole.  Yes, he appears to have been a poor man-manager; yes, he couldn't handle the media without making a fool of himself; yes, his team was far from attractive to watch; but I believe that if he had stayed things would have improved, even if we would not have got anywhere near where we are now.  Don't get me wrong, I think he had to go when he did, but I certainly don't think that we would have been relegated if he'd stayed, and I think we would have still made some progress in the second half of last season.

To sum up, O'Driscoll was not a good fit for the club and could not have lasted, but I don't think we would have won the Division this season without what happened during his tenure, so I think we should thank him for that.

To what extent SO'D has contributed to our success this year is a very interesting point, and you can't dismiss the notion out of hand that we owe him some gratitude. It strikes me that:

• After McInnes we needed an overhaul: O'Driscoll did that.
  • We needed to clear out a lot of deadwood and sign some good players: if O'Driscoll had not signed Fielding, Flint, Williams and Pack, would we be where we are today?
  • We were always going to go through a bad patch as the team was rebased: all clubs in the position we were in do that.  It happened after Tinnion, when Johnson had to lead us through a very grim period before we turned the corner, and you can look at a club like Southampton which had to 'take its medicine' in League One before being able to progress.
  • O'Driscoll got the whole club thinking differently and, I think, actually thinking more positively as whole.  Yes, he appears to have been a poor man-manager; yes, he couldn't handle the media without making a fool of himself; yes, his team was far from attractive to watch; but I believe that if he had stayed things would have improved, even if we would not have got anywhere near where we are now.  Don't get me wrong, I think he had to go when he did, but I certainly don't think that we would have been relegated if he'd stayed, and I think we would have still made some progress in the second half of last season.

To sum up, O'Driscoll was not a good fit for the club and could not have lasted, but I don't think we would have won the Division this season without what happened during his tenure, so I think we should thank him for that.

You make some very good points...however I'd like to make a point if I may, regarding your last sentence.

In short...I think SoD was the perfect fit for our Club at the time, as Like you allude, he got the Club working and thinking differently. What he put in place has enabled us to move forward under another manager. He even alluded to that fact, that the next manager will benefit.

I didn't like it when he left, but in hindsight, it was probably the best move.

No one expected us to have the season we've had, lets all be honest on that.

But SC and KB have added to the quality that SoD brought in and carried on his philosophy.

On paper we needed to take that one step back to take two forward.

I really believe our Club can make that jump from 'sleeping giant' now...because it's owner woke up and realised things had to change.

SoD made those changes as requested by SL and the board. SC and KB have taken it a step in the right direction.

Long may it continue.

It would be interesting to see how Cotts would have coped if he'd taken over when So'D did, I doubt if he'd have had any success for the first year either, he certainly took over at the right time and was able to build further on the foundations already laid down. I wonder if he'd have been given any longer than So'D was to turn the team around given that many supporters didn't support his appointment initially? The way things happened has worked out well for the club and I think both managers deserve some credit. The main reason we were in a mess in the first place was the succession of poor appointments following Johnson's departure and the ongoing problems we had with the stadium project. The squad So'D inherited was a complete mess, how many of those players are playing at Championship level or better now, only about four I can think of (Heaton, Gherkin, Skuse, Albert)?

Archived