IGNORED

C'mon Bris

Bristol Rob

What on earth is this "C'mon Bris" all about? Apart from the title of this thread I'm sure I saw it on a BS billboard a while back.

Do rugby fans actually shout "C'mon Bris"? C'mon is something you might say to encourage your toddler to stop dawdling, not fire up a team of thick necked rugger buggers.

And is there really any need to shorten "Bristol"? Are two syllables too much for the average watcher of rugby?

A very lily-livered, limp-wristed rallying call IMO.

" Bris" was in use the first time my Dad took me to the Memorial. I asked him which player was called Bris, believing it was a nickname for an individual member of the team.

PS. In 1950.

Not that strange, seeing as this is a football forum.

I would wager that the vast majority of Bristolians, if asked, would say "Bris" is an abbreviation of Brislington.

Spot on, I'd never heard Bristol rugby called this until about fifteen years ago.

What's more annoying is hearing some prat sat in front of me in the Williams shouting "come on Bris", while supporting City.

Spot on, I'd never heard Bristol rugby called this until about fifteen years ago.

What's more annoying is hearing some prat sat in front of me in the Williams shouting "come on Bris", while supporting City.

But that 'prat', as you call him, may well be a new City convert following the Bristol Sport development, and we could do with many more from rugby and/or basketball if we are ever to contemplate filling our new 27,000 capacity stadium on a regular basis.

Rugby is just too middle class for my taste. I flicked on to Sky to see the inevitable "Bris" result the other night, and the players that weren't playing were on the pitch all wearing jackets and jeans. Jackets and jeans!! It was like watching a Hank Scorpio convention. 

I know we are all supposed to give our support to Bristol Rugby now SL has brought them into the BS family, but I get the distinct impression that Rugby fans look down their noses at football and it's fans.

SL really needs to bring in women's beach volleyball so that we can analyse that in detail.

Rugby is just too middle class for my taste. I flicked on to Sky to see the inevitable "Bris" result the other night, and the players that weren't playing were on the pitch all wearing jackets and jeans. Jackets and jeans!! It was like watching a Hank Scorpio convention. 

I know we are all supposed to give our support to Bristol Rugby now SL has brought them into the BS family, but I get the distinct impression that Rugby fans look down their noses at football and it's fans.

SL really needs to bring in women's beach volleyball so that we can analyse that in detail.

Always has been the case.

What on earth is this "C'mon Bris" all about? Apart from the title of this thread I'm sure I saw it on a BS billboard a while back.

Do rugby fans actually shout "C'mon Bris"? C'mon is something you might say to encourage your toddler to stop dawdling, not fire up a team of thick necked rugger buggers.

And is there really any need to shorten "Bristol"? Are two syllables too much for the average watcher of rugby?

A very lily-livered, limp-wristed rallying call IMO.

Go to Gloucester and it's "C'mon Glos".

I am guessing "C'mon Wuss" at Worcester ? :shifty:

It's understandable that some people like football, some like rugby, indeed some like both.

I don't believe though that individuals shouting out "C'mon Bris" now and again does anything to inspire the players.

Whereas the whole of A.G. when in unison, singing "Come on you Reds" must have some impact ?

I feel exactly the same way. I didn't really give Bristol a second thought in the past but now, as you say, an affinity is there.

Yep. I would never watch club rugby, but do feel the affinity towards Bristol now, as others have said.

Plus, slowly the slagheads are being marginalised - this has to be a good thing.

But that 'prat', as you call him, may well be a new City convert following the Bristol Sport development, and we could do with many more from rugby and/or basketball if we are ever to contemplate filling our new 27,000 capacity stadium on a regular basis.

That prat had better learn quickly. If I was going to a different sport than I was used to I wouldn't stick my neck out and shout something inappropriate, I'd learn first. By the way, this was well into the second half so you'd think he'd have cottoned on. Don't get all sanctimonious about comments I make on this forum, I'm well aware about how our club needs to attract extra support, I didn't actually slate the man, it was an observation.

Yes, there are some rugby union fans who do not like football.

Yes, the are football fans who do not like rugby union.

But there are a significant number who enjoy both codes. Whether they actually pay to watch both City and Bris is another matter. That will depend on many factors; income, work schedules, family commitments, other hobbies/interests and so on as infinitum.

But I consider that the Rugby club's increased attendance's this season is mainly attributable to City fans who like watching and supporting both football and rugby, BUT who would not go to the Memorial because of the connection with NLBR!

Perhaps Bristol Sport will tell us one day, how many have bought dual season tickets. Success for both/either will encourage more to watch both teams, especially when the capacity is not restricted.

Bristol City first Bristol rugby second Cleve third. Yet due to playing rugby at Cleve and Bristol its strange. I am all three to the bone. Rugby has lost something though and that is what champions are and what that gets you.

Archived