IGNORED

Best Goal Ever?

AshtonGreat

Best goal ever? Football has been played for well over 100 years, but how many people on the forum can remember goals from 20, 30, 40 years ago? As for goals scored before 1950, it's probably nobody.

Now that's just silly. If no one remembers goals from before 1950, what's the point even mentioning them?

As for some of the great goals mentioned here: they were indeed great but more often than not, they were one-offs. With Messi, he does it week in, week out, so you know he meant to do it rather than just hit it and got lucky

Correct.

Wrong. Is it better than Giggs' - probably not. Is it miles better- definitely not.

Correct.

Above subject to most people's opinion.

I just think for skill and speed it is better. All about opinions mate.

I just think for skill and speed it is better. All about opinions mate.

Agreed. It is. But is your Liverpool (and therefore anti United) bias clouding your judgement?

I'm a closet Arsenal fan and I'd love to say that Messi's was better, but I just can't do it.

Anyhooooo.... I think that are hundreds of better goals, many highlighted above and do you know what... I'm struggling to see past Maynard vs QPR!

For me, being but a young fella at the time, this is, and always will be, the best goal ever, on the worlds biggest stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5HbmeNKino

I've always loved that goal as well (even though I wasn't even born when it was scored). The build up seems so casual yet incisive at the same time, and then there's that moment when Pele seemingly passes to nobody before Alberto suddenly appears on the screen.

Agreed. It is. But is your Liverpool (and therefore anti United) bias clouding your judgement?

I'm a closet Arsenal fan and I'd love to say that Messi's was better, but I just can't do it.

Anyhooooo.... I think that are hundreds of better goals, many highlighted above and do you know what... I'm struggling to see past Maynard vs QPR!

No I don't think so giggs was certainly a fantastic player and it was a great goal.

Now that's just silly. If no one remembers goals from before 1950, what's the point even mentioning them?

As for some of the great goals mentioned here: they were indeed great but more often than not, they were one-offs. With Messi, he does it week in, week out, so you know he meant to do it rather than just hit it and got lucky

in a league with 3 good teams

The goal was good, not great.

Goals like that are done in lower league games every week, but seeing as 99% of games aren't on TV or recorded then they aren't broadcasted to everyone and won't be seen other than the people playing and small few who watch those teams. plus you could have 2 identical goals, but if one was by messi and the other was by Matt Tubbs, the media and rest of the world would **** them selves silly over messi, and Tubbs would get a day in the spotlight

Goals like that are done in lower league games every week, but seeing as 99% of games aren't on TV or recorded then they aren't broadcasted to everyone and won't be seen other than the people playing and small few who watch those teams. plus you could have 2 identical goals, but if one was by messi and the other was by Matt Tubbs, the media and rest of the world would **** them selves silly over messi, and Tubbs would get a day in the spotlight

Wow. Remind me how many English teams made the last 8 of European competitions?

Best ever for drama.

Best for skill, Maradona's 2nd v us, Barnes in the Maracana and Gazza v Scotland For us. Van Basten v Russia, Bergkamp at Leicester, Matt Le Tissier v Newcastle, Di Canio scissor kick, George Weah for Leeds and Sir Colin Daniel!

Also remember crackers from Kinkladze and some African who played for Coventry City in the 90's (Zimbabwean?). Ndlovu?

Yeah Messi only does it in a league with three good teams. Except he doesn't - he also does it against the likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Brazil... I could go on. And your post ignored what I already argued: most players can score a few good goals in their career. Messi has done it dozens of times and at the highest level

Archived