IGNORED

Best Goal Ever?

AshtonGreat

in a league with 3 good teams

The goal was good, not great.

Goals like that are done in lower league games every week, but seeing as 99% of games aren't on TV or recorded then they aren't broadcasted to everyone and won't be seen other than the people playing and small few who watch those teams. plus you could have 2 identical goals, but if one was by messi and the other was by Matt Tubbs, the media and rest of the world would **** them selves silly over messi, and Tubbs would get a day in the spotlight

ive said this many times but if teams in the Spanish and English leagues played each other in where they finished ( top v top, 2nd v2nd and so on) more Spanish teams would win they got more quality running right through they're league!!

ive said this many times but if teams in the Spanish and English leagues played each other in where they finished ( top v top, 2nd v2nd and so on) more Spanish teams would win they got more quality running right through they're league!!

whether that happens or not is irrelevant as what you have quoted has nothing to do with how the leagues compare, the point I'm making is if a low league player scored an identical goal as messi did, the media and rest of the wouldnt jerk them selves off over it for days

whether that happens or not is irrelevant as what you have quoted has nothing to do with how the leagues compare, the point I'm making is if a low league player scored an identical goal as messi did, the media and rest of the wouldnt jerk them selves off over it for days

The non league is hardly watched around the world.

I've always loved that goal as well (even though I wasn't even born when it was scored). The build up seems so casual yet incisive at the same time, and then there's that moment when Pele seemingly passes to nobody before Alberto suddenly appears on the screen.

Absolutely, does Pele even look? I think you always remember your first World Cup and this was mine really, I don't have any memories of the 66 world cup, I am not sure why because I can remember City games from 66/67... My main memory of Pele is that he ran games whilst barely breaking into a run.

I know it's a different game but I think sports fans can see similarities between that goal and this try by the Barbarians against the All Blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

From the Phil Bennetts trickery through to the pass to Edwards who appears from nowhere it is a piece of improvised genius in a game that is normally all about set pieces. 

thats messi does it against the worlds best defenders not Gary Kenneth!

thats messi does it against the worlds best defenders not Gary Kenneth!

So what? Fair assumption that people are playing against others of a similar ability to themselves, so it is just as difficult for them to do it as for messi, and no doubt that if messi scored a goal like that when playing Gary Kenneth you would trot out with "well he can only beat what's in front of him"

If a player puts a shot into the very top corner of the goal, the goalkeeper isn't going to save it whether it's a non league one or manuel neuer. The goal sizes are the same so it is just as much as an achievement

but occasionally videos of such goals get out, they have a few hours of glory and then are forgotten about, if it was messi or,ronaldo it would be talked about for days

They are the most high profiled players in the world.

And each only takes a second to score.

Unless your name is Steve Neville, and you're about to score the goal that takes Bristol City to Wembley  for the first time in their history......

......then it takes bastard ages.

Maybe because they are by a distance the two best players in the world? Really not sure what you point is with this.

its the point you missed since I started commenting on here, amazing quality goals happen every single week, but if it isn't done by messi, ronaldo etc it gets ignored, and no the goal in this thread was not the best one ever

For this I immediately thought of that Roberto Carlos corner flag shot - unbelievable, and Seedorf's long range blockbuster, as they've already been mentioned, I can submit:

Mendieta at 1min 29.

And what about this for a hit:

I have this vague memory of Norman Hunter scoring one like Mendieta at Ashton Gate back in the old 1st Division - he was tying his shoe laces on the corner of the penalty area when we had a corner, no-one was marking him, he stood up, the corner was dinked to him and he smacked it into the top corner with his left foot.

I spent an hour last night looking into which games he scored in for us ( I had thought it was in a 3-1 win over WBA, but he didn't score in the Boxing Day '77 game ) without success, so am now worrying it's my age and I imagined the whole thing.

Any other fellow dinosaurs remember this ?

its the point you missed since I started commenting on here, amazing quality goals happen every single week, but if it isn't done by messi, ronaldo etc it gets ignored, and no the goal in this thread was not the best one ever

I never said it was the best ever. But goals like that are not scored in the non league every week.

I never said it was the best ever. But goals like that are not scored in the non league every week.

the OP asked if it was, I said it wasn't

I have seen many goals like that in non league, going occasionally to one game a week and far from a regular, so it's a safe guess to think out off all the thousands of non league teams, someone, somewhere will score a goal like that most weeks if not all

I have this vague memory of Norman Hunter scoring one like Mendieta at Ashton Gate back in the old 1st Division - he was tying his shoe laces on the corner of the penalty area when we had a corner, no-one was marking him, he stood up, the corner was dinked to him and he smacked it into the top corner with his left foot.

I spent an hour last night looking into which games he scored in for us ( I had thought it was in a 3-1 win over WBA, but he didn't score in the Boxing Day '77 game ) without success, so am now worrying it's my age and I imagined the whole thing.

My guess would be home to Leeds the year after the fog abandoned one.

I have this vague memory of Norman Hunter scoring one like Mendieta at Ashton Gate back in the old 1st Division - he was tying his shoe laces on the corner of the penalty area when we had a corner, no-one was marking him, he stood up, the corner was dinked to him and he smacked it into the top corner with his left foot.

The beauty of that Hunter goal was it was against Leeds!

Absolutely, does Pele even look? I think you always remember your first World Cup and this was mine really, I don't have any memories of the 66 world cup, I am not sure why because I can remember City games from 66/67... My main memory of Pele is that he ran games whilst barely breaking into a run.

I know it's a different game but I think sports fans can see similarities between that goal and this try by the Barbarians against the All Blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwCbG4I0QyA

From the Phil Bennetts trickery through to the pass to Edwards who appears from nowhere it is a piece of improvised genius in a game that is normally all about set pieces. 

A wonderful try, but he only got 4 points for it!

And what about all those high tackles?

Anyone find me the Ivan Sproule goal away at Leicester in a 3-1 win for City roughly 09/10? It was similar to that Messi goal.

Funnily enough that night we scored 3 crackers, Ivan, Skuse and Sno on the counter attack were all excellent goals.

I've been trying to find the goal online for a while but no luck, all 3 would be a bonus

Archived