IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Somerset CCC twitter suggesting that there is some debate as to whether Somerset will be allowed to declare at 400 to deny Sussex further bonus points.

The thought of declaring just to deprive the opposition of the opportunity to get more bonus points makes me a bit uncomfortable. It doesn't seem right.

I actually don't see anything wrong with that?

Maybe I'm being OTT. I'd say that it would be an unsporting thing to do with absolutely no chance in hell of a result, but we'll see.

They obviously didn't want to make a game of it today which they are obviously entitled too. So if we can cut down the bonus points they get them fair enough I reckon.

They obviously didn't want to make a game of it today which they are obviously entitled too. So if we can cut down the bonus points they get them fair enough I reckon.

Probably the majority would agree with you. In fairness there's a strong argument that the batting side should be allowed to declare whenever they like. 

Radio commentators suggesting that Somerset will not declare on 400 as they could be charged with bringing the game into disrepute which could result in a points deduction.

Probably the majority would agree with you. In fairness there's a strong argument that the batting side should be allowed to declare whenever they like. 

Radio commentators suggesting that Somerset will not declare on 400 as they could be charged with bringing the game into disrepute which could result in a points deduction.

They are saying they need permission from the ECB? Ridiculous. surely a batting team can declare when they want.

They are saying they need permission from the ECB? Ridiculous. surely a batting team can declare when they want.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger, Super! :P

I suppose the solution is to bat out the remaining overs without losing any wickets! Maximum bonus points out of two days' play having lost the toss is a damn good result for Somerset anyway.

• Like 1

I agree. The rules are the same for all so why bring ambiguity into it by having such a silly rule. This is professional sport. The tactics of depriving another of bonus points seems perfectly fair to me. 

Worcs got a tiny chance here?

Relegation deserved, I don't know how many times we scored between 130 & 170 this year, but it ain't good enough

Got some great young players coming through, no doubt they will all be at Lancs, Surrey etc in the next 2 to 3 years whilst we're stuck as a yo yo team. At least we get to beat Glos twice again next year.....

Didn't realise Micheal Yardy was retiring, a damn fine county player. Probably should have played more ODIs too 

he wrote a blog on the BBC website about how he'd battled with depression for most of his career. I think that was a major factor in his relatively low number of international caps 

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/33652295

Somerset CCC twitter suggesting that there is some debate as to whether Somerset will be allowed to declare at 400 to deny Sussex further bonus points.

The thought of declaring just to deprive the opposition of the opportunity to get more bonus points makes me a bit uncomfortable. It doesn't seem right.

a) I thought that was standard practice.

b) I don't see anything wrong with it.