IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

:thumbsup: Fair enough Phil.

It shouldn't have been that close, but a win's a win. Dead chuffed.

When I said last night that I thought Somerset could win, I had heard from somebody at the ground that the pitch was not the usual 'road' and was turning like they had all hoped when they signed Rehman.

Perhaps Tomarse, who I suspect was in Taunton, could confirm later.

Anyway, a welcome and long awaited win if something of an anticlimax after already getting the 7 points necessary.

• Like 1

May as well just sign Cooper on for next year as a spinner.... ;) but yeah next seasons overseas player should be high quality to keep fans interested after the last couple of poor seasons and the whole Gayle situation, as I've said before I'd love to see us sign De Kock somehow on a season deal, good player across all 3 formats. Tom has said a left armer, definitely could be worth Somerset 'having a chat' with Shantry as he's only just down the road really.

May as well just sign Cooper on for next year as a spinner.... ;) but yeah next seasons overseas player should be high quality to keep fans interested after the last couple of poor seasons and the whole Gayle situation, as I've said before I'd love to see us sign De Kock somehow on a season deal, good player across all 3 formats. Tom has said a left armer, definitely could be worth Somerset 'having a chat' with Shantry as he's only just down the road really.

I thought that he decided finally to stay at Palace!

Yeah Somerset confirming on their facebook page that Rogers is due to bat at 3. Rogers is an excellent overseas signing, however I don't really get the Davies one, unless they've seen something in his batting which means he's under performing, he's barely played FC cricket but averages 6 and can't see any big ish scores in his recent innings. If he's a great glovesman why not just stick with Bates? Got to think he will be #2 whether we bring in someone else as #1 or Barrow is given a go (hopefully not).

Yeah Somerset confirming on their facebook page that Rogers is due to bat at 3. Rogers is an excellent overseas signing, however I don't really get the Davies one, unless they've seen something in his batting which means he's under performing, he's barely played FC cricket but averages 6 and can't see any big ish scores in his recent innings. If he's a great glovesman why not just stick with Bates? Got to think he will be #2 whether we bring in someone else as #1 or Barrow is given a go (hopefully not).

I read somewhere that Davies' second-class average is in the early twenties, which is maybe more of an indication than the handful of FC games he's played but we'll see. I can't imagine that he'd leave Kent to come here if he hadn't been given some assurances regarding playing. Given that Billings is a part of England's T20 and ODI teams means that he'd get more cricket there than he would here if we brought in another WK.

• Admin

Whispers that the reason the RL50 draw has not been announced is that early rounds next season will be regionalised - which will also mean hopefully some decent away trips (always liked Worcs away)

Fixtures expected to be announced end of next week - can book that summer holiday then :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Thoughts on the banning of the toss?

Good idea on balance, I think. It will stop counties taking a chance and fiddling wickets to their own advantage. The downside might be that we get more flat tracks designed not to do too much for 4 days and a lot of draws as a result. Worth a go for a year maybe....

Edited by Calculus

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Thoughts on the banning of the toss?

Not convinced myself, though I'm glad they're doing something to try and breathe a bit of life back into the county 4 day game. You'll just end up with either flat, lifeless wickets or wearing ones that favour the team bowling last. It won't help create international-class players and won't help make results. I think it'd go down like a lead balloon, but perhaps limiting the overs in the 4 day game might help create results and excitement- perhaps 90 overs per innings? It'd undoubtedly be a nail in the coffin of the longer format, but that's dying all by itself at the minute anyway, so what do we have to lose? 

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

Good idea on balance, I think. It will stop counties taking a chance and fiddling wickets to their own advantage. The downside might be that we get more flat tracks designed not to do too much for 4 days and a lot of draws as a result. Worth a go for a year maybe....

56 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Not convinced myself, though I'm glad they're doing something to try and breathe a bit of life back into the county 4 day game. You'll just end up with either flat, lifeless wickets or wearing ones that favour the team bowling last. It won't help create international-class players and won't help make results. I think it'd go down like a lead balloon, but perhaps limiting the overs in the 4 day game might help create results and excitement- perhaps 90 overs per innings? It'd undoubtedly be a nail in the coffin of the longer format, but that's dying all by itself at the minute anyway, so what do we have to lose? 

As you both allude to, something needs to change. I guess anything is worth a go before we end up with 6 or 8 regional teams rather than the current county system, which is the only way I can see it going, unfortunately

42 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I'm not sure about it at all, but at least they're doing it over both divisions and haven't just lumbered the second division teams with it.

Yeah, seemed an odd initial statement that they would try it in Div 2, presumably Div 1 teams don't need to doctor their pitch to suit their needs....!?

• Admin

2016 fixtures released this morning - that's summer 2016 sorted out 

Somerset fixtures http://www.somersetcountycc.co.uk/fixtures-results/first-xi/  note the home matches have incorrect start times - should read 10:30 / 17:30

Gloucester fixtures http://www.gloscricket.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Gloucestershire-Cricket-2016-Fixtures.pdf

• Admin
42 minutes ago, Super said:

Anyone know who the somerset overseas players are next season?

20 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

As far as I know only Chris Rogers has been announced. Heard nothing on overseas players for T20. 

Yeah - he's the only overseas signing so far. Only other players coming in next season Ryan Davies and Roelof van der Merwe

Whispers another Aussie has been in talks for the T20

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, phantom said:

Yeah - he's the only overseas signing so far. Only other players coming in next season Ryan Davies and Roelof van der Merwe

Whispers another Aussie has been in talks for the T20

Interesting. As brilliant as Gayle was on and off the field I can't help but think we'd benefit from bringing in someone who'd be available for the vast majority of the matches, if not all of them.

1 minute ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Interesting. As brilliant as Gayle was on and off the field I can't help but think we'd benefit from bringing in someone who'd be available for the vast majority of the matches, if not all of them.

Warner would be good.