IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sad news about James Taylor completely retiring from cricket due to a heart condition

Saying on 5live this morning he was very lucky it was diagnosed when it was as he could have died while playing. Just goes to show, you can be fit as a fiddle and something like this can get you - bit like Muamba I suppose.

All the best to him.

Horrible news about Taylor, just breaking into the England set up and primed to be around for years, worse still is how the condition means he can't even play recreationally any more, something that may not really kick in for him for a while. Hopefully he finds a new career path soon and lands on both feet.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Somerset might be saved by the weather tomorrow.

Good to see the 'Dark Horses' for the title as the mail called them, Surrey, being as shite as usual.

Saved. Shame we are relying on the weather already this season.

• Admin

Somerset v Cardiff uni now moved to Taunton Vale due to problems with the outfield. 

Looking at pictures tonight we're going to have big problems this season, if anyone remembers the horrible divets we had on the outfield a couple of years ago, it currently looks worse than that. The new drainage is failing and there are bumps all over the place. 

The best part is the groundsman is blaming the weather over the winter!  Now unless 20 miles down the road had conditions different to the rest of us, we had a really mild and dry  winter

Screenshot_20160413-223221.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It's not that I don't mind him signing, it's the clubs obsession with him on social media.

It has become a bit of an obsession, hasn't it?

Unfortunately, however, we both know where the sponsors, ticket (and concessions) money comes from; and this is the one-day game, especially 20/20. 

More publicity (and signing of 'star' players - a certain Jos Buttler used to play for us) means more tickets sold. Somerset/Surrey (20/20) is already sold out, and I believe that the Glos/Somerset game is also.

What do you think are the chances of getting a last minute ticket to the Somerset/Warwickshire County Championship game, and I wonder if they are still accepting sponsors for same?

• Admin

Somerset County Cricket Club is delighted to be able to announce that for the first time in our history Platinum Membership, which allows access to all forms of cricket, has completely sold out.

CEO Guy Lavender said: “This is a remarkable achievement by our sales team and reflects strong demand for cricket in all its formats right across the West Country.

“With Membership now standing at well over 6000, combined with record high levels of NatWest T20 Blast ticket sales, the Club is in good health.

“At a time when some seek to deride the popularity of domestic cricket, it is worth pausing to reflect on the strength of many County brands such as Somerset’s and the Club’s ability to sell Membership in good numbers, achieve full houses and inspire many young people to play and watch cricket.”

Head of Commercial Operations Jez Curwin said: “This is fantastic news for the Club.  Demand has been extremely high and to sell out of Platinum Membership is unprecedented.

“Somerset County Cricket Club has the best supporters in the world and we are extremely grateful to all of our Members and fans for their unwavering backing.  Hopefully their loyalty can be rewarded with some memorable performances this summer.”

• Admin
On 4/26/2016 at 18:01, PHILINFRANCE said:

What do you think are the chances of getting a last minute ticket to the Somerset/Warwickshire County Championship game, and I wonder if they are still accepting sponsors for same?

Will be no problem but if you do want to get one in advance https://ticketing.somersetcountycc.co.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=A9042089-BDD4-41CD-814E-C688BCDD0D75

• Admin

First batch of TV fixtures have just been announced by SKY (Up to end of June)

These are ONLY the games featuring Somerset or Gloucestershire

SOMERSET

Wednesday 1st June SUSSEX Away T20 18:00

Sunday 5th June GLOUCESTERSHIRE Home RL50 10:55

Wednesday 15th June GLAMORGAN Home T20 17:00

Thursday 23rd June MIDDLESEX Away T20 18:00

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Sunday 5th June SOMERSET Away RL50 10:55

Tuesday 14th June HAMPSHIRE Home RL50 13:55

Thursday 16th June ESSEX Away T20 18:00

Saturday 25th June HAMPSHIRE Away T20 13:00

On 4/26/2016 at 18:33, Tomarse said:

It's not that I don't mind him signing, it's the clubs obsession with him on social media.

I am not sure how closely you follow non-Somerset cricket, but since his injury in the World T20 CG has struggled horrifically for runs.

I just hope he does not have to cry off from his Somerset commitments due to injury, especially as so many tickets have already been sold (both at Taunton and away) based on his 'promised' appearance - after all, it wouldn't be the first time would it? 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Sorry Phantom,

I was being sarcastic, simply noting the sell-out crowds for 20/20, ditto Platinum Membership (undoubtedly in order to gain entrance for the 20/20 matches), whilst continuing to attract sparse crowds for the 4 day County Championship matches. 

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Sorry Phantom,

I was being sarcastic, simply noting the sell-out crowds for 20/20, ditto Platinum Membership (undoubtedly in order to gain entrance for the 20/20 matches), whilst continuing to attract sparse crowds for the 4 day County Championship matches. 

@PHILINFRANCE I'll accept the 'Whoosh" on that one :whistle:

• Like 1

On 29/04/2016 at 13:39, PHILINFRANCE said:

Sorry Phantom,

Just a thought, but maybe they could try playing them in the Summer :whistle2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Well done Surrey, that dark horses title is going well. You useless shites.

Bad luck for Surrey to run into Yorkshire with their Test players available. Will be a different team that take the field at Taunton next week. Looking forward to a good day or two at the County Ground and a win for God's County. They do a cracking lunch in Taunton and there's a cider bar as well! Much to be recommended....

• Like 1

On 29/04/2016 at 11:50, phantom said:

First batch of TV fixtures have just been announced by SKY (Up to end of June)

These are ONLY the games featuring Somerset or Gloucestershire

SOMERSET

Wednesday 1st June SUSSEX Away T20 18:00

Sunday 5th June GLOUCESTERSHIRE Home RL50 10:55

Wednesday 15th June GLAMORGAN Home T20 17:00

Thursday 23rd June MIDDLESEX Away T20 18:00

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Sunday 5th June SOMERSET Away RL50 10:55

Tuesday 14th June HAMPSHIRE Home RL50 13:55

Thursday 16th June ESSEX Away T20 18:00

Saturday 25th June HAMPSHIRE Away T20 13:00

Happy the Essex game isn't on tv, got tickets to that one so would be a waste. Expect most of Somerset's appearances on the box to be T20 due to Gayle.

13 hours ago, Calculus said:

Bad luck for Surrey to run into Yorkshire with their Test players available. Will be a different team that take the field at Taunton next week. Looking forward to a good day or two at the County Ground and a win for God's County. They do a cracking lunch in Taunton and there's a cider bar as well! Much to be recommended....

Not too dramatic a change due to the Test match, though - 'only' missing Root and Bairstow.

I think Yorkshire have also been hit by a number of injuries to their bowlers (Bresnan, Fisher and now Willey), although their squad is so strong this will be barely noticed. 

3 hours ago, Super said:

Looking at going down to Taunton next weekend for one of the days never been before is it easy for parking?

Take Toms advice. The train is dead easy and if you don't drive to the station you can have a few pints whilst enjoying the cricket. 

If you go with yer mates it's a great day out.