IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Maybe it was ball hit helmet, that’s 5 runs isn’t it? 
I have seen all ran fives without overthrows, when fielders would have been better off letting it go for 4.

I didn’t really understand our Glos friend but there, I am getting on.......though nowhere near as much as he’s getting on ?

Hit helmet is a good suggestion.

Re. ‘Our Glos. friend’, maybe I am wrong, but I thought he was joking about you saying you remember Grace, i.e. WG.

Incidentally, COVE got Patel first ball this morning - 51/4.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Re. ‘Our Glos. friend’, maybe I am wrong, but I thought he was joking about you saying you remember Grace, i.e. WG.

Great start, although it’s a game we are expected to win you’ve still got to produce the goods.

Should wrap up the win today

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

No, I was just saying that I wouldn't have thought (or been surprised if) it was one of the biggest outfields (having been there a couple of times), no mention of age .:laugh:

44 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

No, I was just saying that I wouldn't have thought (or been surprised if) it was one of the biggest outfields (having been there a couple of times), no mention of age .:laugh:

Another 5 just scored, definitely overthrows this time.

i haven’t been there for decades but I do remember someone saying it recently, according to Wiki it’s one of the biggest amongst the county grounds but not as big as some test grounds.

Everywhere looks big when you’re from Taunton 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I do remember Grace

Really, you surprise me, I wouldn't have thought so, still... 

Here is the reason I suspected you of sarcasm ?.

I have asked our friends on Grockles for any info concerning yesterdays two 'fives', and should hope to respond to @ralphindevonlater this afternoon. 

Meanwhile, COVE strikes again, and 6 down now - Leics lead by 79.

Actually, it is now 7 down and COVE has a Michelle.

Oh, and AGod has kindly replied.

'Overthrows in both cases. One was a ricochet off the stumps.'

Lastly, Pinky and Perky (anybody remember them?) have just given a resumé of COVE's five wickets.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Currently watching the Hants/Glos live straem - Glos need another 5 runs to avoid the follow on with 1 wicket left....

3 now, a bit tense isn't it? How are Glos going to get a decent spinner into this squad? This game shows how much we are missing one.

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, Would you believe it?

Asked to follow on or not?

I don't know the rule, they are exactly 150 behind, did it need to be 149? Ah I see we are following on so I guess that answers my question. 

Edited by Port Said Red

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know the rule, they are exactly 150 behind, did it need to be 149? 

Yes, hence the reason they are following on.

As a Somerset supporter, I shall be very disappointed if this doesn't end in a draw - neither of the two teams secured maximum bonus points and, imo, a draw is the only way we might finish top of our group and one of the two top teams.

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

Yes, hence the reason they are following on.

As a Somerset supporter, I shall be very disappointed if this doesn't end in a draw - neither of the two teams secured maximum bonus points and, imo, a draw is the only way we might finish top of our group and one of the two top teams.

I did wonder whether Hampshire were tempted to start with the spinners straight away. Watching the stream the ball has started to go through the top of the pitch, some balls have hardly bounced at all and the ball has gone sideways for the spinners.

42 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Fingers crossed (for both of us) you can see this session out without losing a wicket and eke out a lead by tea tomorrow.

First job done. As I have said in previous posts, the snails pace at which Hampshire scored was always going to make the draw the most likely result, but that was before the pitch started to break up.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

First job done. As I have said in previous posts, the snails pace at which Hampshire scored was always going to make the draw the most likely result, but that was before the pitch started to break up.

I would have agreed with you had you scored just the one more run needed to avoid the follow on.

Now I shall be looking on anxiously tomorrow.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, it is looking rather unlikely now - 9 wickets down and leading by just 11 runs with 23 overs still to bowl (less two for the innings change).

Oh for that one run yesterday evening.

Oh ye of little faith. :) Magnificent rearguard action, especially grom Shaw and Goodman.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh ye of little faith. :) Magnificent rearguard action, especially grom Shaw and Goodman.

I was watching the live stream from just before the fall of the 7th wicket - then three went down for no runs and I thought it was all over.

Credit due to both Shaw and Goodman, however, the latter playing in only his second match and, to be fair, rarely looking in any danger, although he took 40 balls I think it was before he got off the mark.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was watching the live stream from just before the fall of the 7th wicket - then three went down for no runs and I thought it was all over.

Credit due to both Shaw and Goodman, however, the latter playing in only his second match and, to be fair, rarely looking in any danger, although he took 40 balls I think it was before he got off the mark.  

A whole innings without Abbas getting a wicket, that's some achievement. :)

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Haseeb Hameed finding some form at Notts two tons in the game 

That's fantastic to see, IMO. I was out in India and watched his England debut in Mumbai. He has everything, got a half-century with a broken hand and lost his way. Happy to see he's on his way back. England need him if he's anywhere near where he was in 2016. 

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Grit and determination..............bit like the city have shown lately !

Shaw chanelling his inner Boycott, and Dom Goodman looks like a bit of a find. We definitely lack a decent spinner. Shame Dawson couldn't get Bess. 

• Like 2

If Hameed is allowed to just concentrate on batting without having to worry about trying to be more aggressive to stop people complaining that he scores too slowly then he should start to score a lot of runs again. That's where it went wrong for him at Lancs, they tried to turn him into something that he isn't and he lost all confidence and eventually his contract.

It also helps that he's no longer being managed by Paul Allott, a man whose approach to man-management and motivation makes Joey Barton look like a model of compassion.

• Like 1