IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

50 minutes ago, TomF said:

Stonking win for Glos. surely one for the record books re first innings deficit. Let’s hope Glos/Som can finish 1/2 and progress to Div 1 

Division 1?

I thought we got promoted to division one last season? I’ve obviously missed a reshuffle along the way. What league are we?

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Oh it’s all confusing but we’re in groups at mo. Whoever finishes 1st and 2nd in each group goes into L1 and plays everyone in the group except the team from the same group. Whoever finishes top in that second group wins the CC. Div 2 and 3 are for those who finish 3/4 and 5/6 respectively

I have a feeling they might stick with this format going forward, quite a few of the counties have come out in favour of it. Gives every team a chance of winning the title at the start of the season and allows them to blood youngsters without the stress of promotion and relegation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomF said:

I agree and I like the format. It gives everyone a chance and we don’t just play the same 6-8 teams every year.  Great to see sides like Durham bouncing  back after the ECB screwed them over 

And, of course, had they not been forced to play on in what was almost darkness against Essex back in April, losing four late first innings wickets in as many overs in the process, they would probably have won and screwed Essex to boot.

32 minutes ago, TomF said:

The fact Harmer is taking 10 wickets in a match in April but nobody questions Essex’s pitches was enough for me to hope they end up in D3 

But Middlesex haven't yet had to play at Essex this season: ergo, I imagine our friend Gus is not too concerned and, thus, no complaint has been raised.

Just read that Conway played for Taunton Deane in 2010 as overseas pro so knows Leach already and he played for the Somerset 2nd XI on a few occasions. Then played for a few more years at various English clubs as overseas pro

On 02/05/2021 at 22:11, Northern Red said:

I have a feeling they might stick with this format going forward, quite a few of the counties have come out in favour of it. Gives every team a chance of winning the title at the start of the season and allows them to blood youngsters without the stress of promotion and relegation.

I'm also in favour of the new format, not just for those reasons you mention, but I really like the regularity of games every week. I'm sure the players are the same. Playing County Cricket in blocks like this without the distraction of white-ball cricket promotes focus and allows players to hone their craft. It can only be a good thing, especially for England. 

• Like 1

It appears that the Sky coverage of the Glos game is being taken from Middlesex's web stream, therefore it's not going to be as slick as it would be if Sky were broadcasting it themselves.

Similar in a way to the football they show on the red button - better than nothing but not absolutely ideal.

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It appears that the Sky coverage of the Glos game is being taken from Middlesex's web stream, therefore it's not going to be as slick as it would be if Sky were broadcasting it themselves.

Similar in a way to the football they show on the red button - better than nothing but not absolutely ideal.

And some dodgy early decisions against us to boot. I'm convinced had this not been on Sky, we'd have got at least two decisions. Makes the lack of a replay a bit ironic, really. 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

1 hour ago, tin said:

And some dodgy early decisions against us to boot. I'm convinced had this not been on Sky, we'd have got at least two decisions. Makes the lack of a replay a bit ironic, really. 

Still better coverage than we get from the County Ground though, more camera angle and you can see the ball after it has passed the bat. :)