IGNORED

The County Cricket Thread

Coppello

9 wickets down now, with another 8 to play - less the 2 overs for the change of innings, so potentially another 6 overs if they get this last wicket tonight.

I think I would prefer to bat in tomorrow's sunshine than tonight's gloom, so a few gentle overs might be a good idea.

Since starting my post I see that COVE has taken me a bit too literally - 12 off the over, although Hampshire have now declared on 211 for 9 so there will, indeed, be 6 overs to face.

I thought new rules said you weren't allowed to declare in such circumstances, although perhaps that only applies to prevent opponents getting bonus points and Somerset have their 3 bowling points already.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

• Admin

Essex 36 overs, Somerset 6 overs, Gloucestershire 7 overs, Glamorgan 2 overs - all ended up none down at the close.

Worcestershire didn't lose a wicket in their last 15 overs, Notts 22 overs.

Seems like the ball plays ok and can be seen under lights.

It was interesting because the sides batting first were obviously desperate to get a few overs in at the opposition under lights. 

There were a couple of sides declaring at nine down which I'm pretty sure they would not have done if it was 5.30pm on the first day rather than 8.30 pm and, according to The Times report, Middx were cavalierly chucking wkts away because they wanted a bowl before the evening ended.

Only one of nine teams batted out 96 overs, whereas on a normal red ball first day in late June, I reckon you'd expect more than half the sides batting first still to be there at stumps.

The pink ball certainly did plenty of damage when it was new between 2 and 3pm. Yet as the stats above suggest, even when it was new the pink ball did far less under the lights, when clearly most captains were expecting it to do more.

The sides declaring and throwing wkts away in order to have a bowl last night would probably have been better advised to try and keep batting and would have got more out of bowling with a new pink ball at 2pm this afternoon. That's how it looks on one day's evidence, at least. We shall see if the pattern persists over the next three days (assuming the weather permits). 

31 minutes ago, phantom said:

Essex 36 overs, Somerset 6 overs, Gloucestershire 7 overs, Glamorgan 2 overs - all ended up none down at the close.

Worcestershire didn't lose a wicket in their last 15 overs, Notts 22 overs.

Seems like the ball plays ok and can be seen under lights.

It was interesting because the sides batting first were obviously desperate to get a few overs in at the opposition under lights. 

There were a couple of sides declaring at nine down which I'm pretty sure they would not have done if it was 5.30pm on the first day rather than 8.30 pm and, according to The Times report, Middx were cavalierly chucking wkts away because they wanted a bowl before the evening ended.

Only one of nine teams batted out 96 overs, whereas on a normal red ball first day in late June, I reckon you'd expect more than half the sides batting first still to be there at stumps.

The pink ball certainly did plenty of damage when it was new between 2 and 3pm. Yet as the stats above suggest, even when it was new the pink ball did far less under the lights, when clearly most captains were expecting it to do more.

The sides declaring and throwing wkts away in order to have a bowl last night would probably have been better advised to try and keep batting and would have got more out of bowling with a new pink ball at 2pm this afternoon. That's how it looks on one day's evidence, at least. We shall see if the pattern persists over the next three days (assuming the weather permits). 

It will be interesting to see what benefit it will have for the counties financially...

• Admin
47 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

It will be interesting to see what benefit it will have for the counties financially...

I did read this morning that the sole purpose of it all was to give the England players experience of the conditions - if there was any other benefit it would be a bonus

Most counties were letting people in for free for the last session and none have reported an increase in the crowd that was already inside the ground

It was a mixed bag looking at the pictures of the crowds last night. Essex and Yorkshire both looked like they had healthy crowds in but some of the others looked no busier than usual and I saw a tweet from one of the commentators at the Glamorgan game that suggested fewer people were in the ground in the evening than had been there in the afternoon.

The one complaint that I did see several times was from older folk who rely on public transport to get to and from the grounds, which can be a problem later in the evening.

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

I did read this morning that the sole purpose of it all was to give the England players experience of the conditions - if there was any other benefit it would be a bonus

Most counties were letting people in for free for the last session and none have reported an increase in the crowd that was already inside the ground

I see, that would make sense...

• Admin
18 hours ago, Super said:

Too early to say it might be one too many seasons for Tres?

17 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Perhaps not one too many, but this surely has to be his last.

I just hope he doesn't suffer relegation in his last season....

Still can't believe Somerset blocked him playing in the T20 - his style would be perfect for that

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Still can't believe Somerset blocked him playing in the T20 - his style would be perfect for that

His batting style, certainly, but perhaps a weakness in the field?

A possible solution would be to bat first and then have him leave the field due to 'injury', resulting in a young and sprightly twelfth man taking his place - but surely no team, even England, would contemplate such an unscrupulous tactic :whistle:

20 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A possible solution would be to bat first and then have him leave the field due to 'injury', resulting in a young and sprightly twelfth man taking his place - but surely no team, even England, would contemplate such an unscrupulous tactic :whistle:

Would such a (Gary) Pratt thing to do :fear:

• Admin
47 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Disagree he is a great slips fielder and would be ok in the shorter format

38 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

If it's that dodgy under lights we should have declared 

Difficult to do so before Hampshire have got their full (3) bowling points - which they now have.

I suspect they are waiting to see if play resumes tonight, in which case a declaration,  or a quick thrash tomorrow - unfortunately, I think even a single batting point is now unlikely.