IGNORED

Squad For Next Season?

otib118

I'd like us to bring in a GK, RWB, CM, 2xST

Gk's - Fielding, Bentley (though I doubt we'll get him)

RWB - Little, Kane/Tavernier (would prefer Kane as he's younger and could be used in CM if needed)

LWB - Bryan, Cunningham

CB - Ayling, Flint, Williams, Osborne

CM - Pack, Smith, Freeman, Ojo (Loan) Wagstaff

ST - Agard, Done, Le Fondre, Smith, Wilbraham - to be used more like Wade towards the end of the season for experience if we need to hold a lead

IMO that would be quite a balanced squad with keeping most of our squad and adding a few new fresh faces

I think we'll be adding a few more than that.

I personally don't think Cunningham is good enough at Championship level.

Not sure about Waggy either.

Hopefully we can get El Abd off somewhere...he takes up a big chunk of wages.

I think Cunningham can cope, he'll only be cover for Bryan/Williams so he'll only play about 15 games so maybe just hold him as I'm sure he's OOC after this next season?

As for Waggy, I can't see anyone wanting to buy him and I'm sure he's OOC as well next season so maybe keep him like Cunningham?

RWB - Little, Kane/Tavernier (would prefer Kane as he's younger and could be used in CM if needed)

LWB - Bryan, Cunningham

ST - Agard, Done, Le Fondre, Smith, Wilbraham - to be used more like Wade towards the end of the season for experience if we need to hold a lead

IMO that would be quite a balanced squad with keeping most of our squad and adding a few new fresh faces

Couldn't agree less sorry!!

Assuming you're sticking with the 3 centre half system (as you want to bring in a wing back) 4 centre halfs won't be enough, 5 strikers is 1 too many, Waggy is not a CM and a 20 man squad is too light. Not sure where Burns and El Abd are, gone presumably?? Other than that, it's fine!!

Just my opinion of course.

I think Cunningham can cope, he'll only be cover for Bryan/Williams so he'll only play about 15 games so maybe just hold him as I'm sure he's OOC after this next season?

As for Waggy, I can't see anyone wanting to buy him and I'm sure he's OOC as well next season so maybe keep him like Cunningham?

We are obviously going to bring some permanent signings in, but I expect us to use the loan system wisely again as well.

I can see Reid, Burns, El Abd, Osborne, Waggy and Cunningham all being loaned out at some point, and their positions being filled by loan and permanent signings.

Plus strengthening in the positions you've already mentioned.

Couldn't agree less sorry!!

Assuming you're sticking with the 3 centre half system (as you want to bring in a wing back) 4 centre halfs won't be enough, 5 strikers is 1 too many, Waggy is not a CM and a 20 man squad is too light. Not sure where Burns and El Abd are, gone presumably?? Other than that, it's fine!!

Just my opinion of course.

Try and get rid of El-Abd anyway possible, send Reid and Burns out on loan to league 1 until Christmas and see how they do

As for the 4 CB's not being enough there's always the loan window to get cover also Cunningham can 'do a job' there

I agree that Waggstaff isn't good enough but can't really see him being moved on

I've listed Wilbraham in the 5 strikers but I can't see him playing much apart from maybe against the top teams off the bench, other than that he will just be and experienced head around training and in th dressing room

As you say it's all about opinions

As for the 4 CB's not being enough there's always the loan window to get cover also Cunningham can 'do a job' there

If we want to be competitive and strive for top 10, we need to get out of this "do a job" mindset. Players need to be competing for first team places, not just filling holes! Luckily I don't think the club recruit like this anymore.

Try and get rid of El-Abd anyway possible, send Reid and Burns out on loan to league 1 until Christmas and see how they do

I agree that Waggstaff isn't good enough but can't really see him being moved on

I've listed Wilbraham in the 5 strikers but I can't see him playing much apart from maybe against the top teams off the bench, other than that he will just be and experienced head around training and in th dressing room

As you say it's all about opinions

GC would be ok as a stand in for a game or 2, but I'd rather have someone pushing Williams for his place.

IMO a proper left sided CB is a must.

cunningham is good enough for the championship, he proved that in our relegation season, one of the small numbers who did well, up until his nasty injury,

if bryan is our of the side cunningham is more then compatant to cover

LWB - Bryan, Cunningham

That would be 3, not 2 strikers to be signed.

I agree with Glynriley that it doesn't look particularly balanced at all.

cunningham is good enough for the championship, he proved that in our relegation season, one of the small numbers who did well, up until his nasty injury,

if bryan is our of the side cunningham is more then compatant to cover

I've never rated Cunningham...and as someone else has suggested, we need players competing for positions.

Greg isn't going to improve imho...he is at his level now. We need players who will be improving from this level.

Just my opinion...but I've seen nothing in him from the last two seasons to suggest otherwise.

Hope he proves me wrong.

Who does Cotts' see as definite Championship starters?

My guess:

GK Fielding

RB/WB (Little)

LB/WB Bryan (Cunningham)

CB's Flint, Ayling (Williams, Osborne, El Abd)

MF Smith, Freeman (Pack, Wagstaff, Reid)

ST (Agard, Wilbraham, Burns)

So 6 definites, lots who could fill in, including several who may even fight off competition and end up as regulars.

But we should still be looking for 5 potential Championship starters, RB, CB, MF, 2 strikers - plus, with some certain departures permanently or on loan ( e.g. El Abd, Reid) a couple more signings to give the squad acceptable depth, including a GK.

My guess:

GK Fielding

RB/WB (Little)

LB/WB Bryan (Cunningham)

So 6 definites, lots who could fill in, including several who may even fight off competition and end up as regulars.

But we should still be looking for 5 potential Championship starters, RB, CB, MF, 2 strikers - plus, with some certain departures permanently or on loan ( e.g. El Abd, Reid) a couple more signings to give the squad acceptable depth, including a GK.

I would agree with all of that, possibly put Pack in as a starter though.  I think it shows how much we have to do to challenge at the top; it can be done, but the more I think about it the more it looks like a two season job at best (although I thought that last time we went up...........) 

My guess:

GK Fielding

RB/WB (Little)

LB/WB Bryan (Cunningham)

I could possibly see Agard as a definite starter and for him to do well in the championship as this year he'll have a full preseason with the lads this time as didn't he come in around mid-late August and he had been playing well last few Games and chip in with some decent goals against Walsall Chesterfield and Swindon even though the not the standard were playing against next year but with the correct striker parter imo he will do well

I could possibly see Agard as a definite starter and for him to do well in the championship as this year he'll have a full preseason with the lads this time as didn't he come in around mid-late August and he had been playing well last few Games and chip in with some decent goals against Walsall Chesterfield and Swindon even though the not the standard were playing against next year but with the correct striker parter imo he will do well

I see what you're saying.. just.. but please use punctuation!!

If we want to be competitive and strive for top 10, we need to get out of this "do a job" mindset. Players need to be competing for first team places, not just filling holes! Luckily I don't think the club recruit like this anymore.

100% agree !!

I've been saying for a few seasons now that we should recruit quality players and maintain a small squad. We did it last year and although we were lucky with injuries and suspensions, I think we should look to do it again this year.

100% agree !!

I've been saying for a few seasons now that we should recruit quality players and maintain a small squad. We did it last year and although we were lucky with injuries and suspensions, I think we should look to do it again this year.

The whole "do a job" mindset is where things started to go wrong for GJ, McInness etc.. Too many players for the squad, not the team.

You don't see Williams as a starter in the championship... One of the most consistent players since he's been a city player.

No, not a definite starter. He's a reasonable player but his positioning and distribution are still often lacking and he'll be punished far more often in the Championship.

I expect to see his position strengthened and then we'll see how he gets on with the competition.

I wouldn't agree he's been one of the most consistent players - the 6 I've put forward as 'definites' have been more so for a start.

Distribution I could kind of agree sometimes he has poor games with his passing but they are very few and far between.

Positioning I don't think he gets caught out of position at all I think that is one of his strong points.

I would expect city to bring in a centre half who can play left sided yes, but he's only 21/22. Going to struggle to get someone that young to compete for his place IMO.

No, not a definite starter. He's a reasonable player but his positioning and distribution are still often lacking and he'll be punished far more often in the Championship.

I expect to see his position strengthened and then we'll see how he gets on with the competition.

I wouldn't agree he's been one of the most consistent players - the 6 I've put forward as 'definites' have been more so for a start.

In that chat that MRR had with SC he said that the small squad was a gamble that paid off through the team spirit generated. I think he would like to keep the squad as small as possible again. Clearly there will be some recruitment but I would be surprised to see players coming off the bench with numbers 25-45 on their backs

Have to say I think Del Boy has improved a lot, and is a very solid Championship player. But hey, football and opinions and all that

Archived