IGNORED

Who Has The Football Leagues Worst Ground ?

Major Isewater

TBH most grounds were shocking, by modern standards, in the 70s and earlier.

The old Wembley that folk on here often look back on with fondness had bogs that were like something from a Calcutta slum and extremely dangerous crushes to enter and exit.

Worst league ground currently in use: Kenilworth Rd.

The Mem's not far behind.

Kenilworth Road was fun, seats that could kneecap you if you turned slightly......very very tight there. Springfield Park was atrocious, made better by the stewards warning us not to buy a burger from the catering van as they'd been in the local news for food poisoning :D 

Although it's new(Ish) I found the Ricoh uninspiring and soulless, the 3-1 win however saved it imo...

Newport County,Somerton Park I think,now that was a dump.

That was the ground that come into mind as soon as I saw this thread, and yes I've been to almost all of the other grounds mentioned.

Ladies toilets? Yes go through a gap under the stand, climb over some beer crates that seem to have been there for at least 20 years, covered in thick dusty cobwebs, all in total darkness. Ah football grounds of the '80's.

They may well have been shiteholes, but I much prefer the old style grounds to the new stadiums of today.

Anyway, if you thought the likes of Saltergate and St James Park were bad, you really should pop down the conference and visit places like Alfreton, Braintree and Welling!

Another new one I ticked off last season was Stenhousemuir, which is a bit weird as it only has two sides. Anyone else who has a weird obsession for shitehole stadiums really does need to go north of the border!

They may well have been shiteholes, but I much prefer the old style grounds to the new stadiums of today.

Anyway, if you thought the likes of Saltergate and St James Park were bad, you really should pop down the conference and visit places like Alfreton, Braintree and Welling!

Another new one I ticked off last season was Stenhousemuir, which is a bit weird as it only has two sides. Anyone else who has a weird obsession for shitehole stadiums really does need to go north of the border!

Or cross the Gloucester Road, in my case ;)

Thanks for the offer, but we'll leave that to your lot, Miah

Purely for the "We don't give a flying **** about your comfort" by the Club, it has to be Swindle Town. Awful burgers situated right next to a cesspit of a stinking toilet with no running water for handwashing. Awful club, people and ground.

Surely the County Ground deserves a mention, no toilets in an open end for 2,000 people says It all really.

I haven't been there for a while, but they did have toilets in the open end then, but it was like walking down into a cesspit.  If it's been closed now, that's got to be the best thing that has been done to that ground!

Another new one I ticked off last season was Stenhousemuir, which is a bit weird as it only has two sides. Anyone else who has a weird obsession for shitehole stadiums really does need to go north of the border!

I know you are one of the few sensible Gas on here but I think you've got your Gas forum head on (the deluded one)!!

Are you saying it is that much of a culture shock to be playing at the Azteca Whorefield one week and then having to endure Alfreton the next (who incidentally, for such a small club, are punching far higher in the stadium stakes than you lot are).

I'm taking my family camping sometime - do you think your lot would let me borrow their tent?!!

TBH most grounds were shocking, by modern standards, in the 70s and earlier.

The old Wembley that folk on here often look back on with fondness had bogs that were like something from a Calcutta slum and extremely dangerous crushes to enter and exit.

Worst league ground currently in use: Kenilworth Rd.

The Mem's not far behind.

A lot of people seem to miss the old Wembley - probably those who never actually went there. They forget that the terraces were built for standing which meant that, in a lot places, legroom was tight for anyone over 4 feet tall. If you happened to sit anywhere near one of the enormous pillars supporting the roof, the view was awful. Even the famous twin towers looked pretty awful in real life. The new Wembley is much better apart from one major flaw. It's at Wembley!

As has already been mentioned, Northampton's ground is terrible: middle of nowhere and tiny stands that look like shoe boxes. Colchester's old ground at Layer Road was also pretty bad. I always enjoyed trips to Oxford's Manor Ground even though it was a dump.

The Minimal Patch is also terrible. I've only been there once to watch the rugby when my kids got free tickets through school and I wasn't expecting the Nou Camp but I was taken back with how bad it was - especially the tent-like contraption behind the goal we sat in that felt like it would collapse at any moment.

Some of the other grounds mentioned on here like the Vetch were tatty but great fun.

Two of the stands are relatively modern though?

Cambridge's ground is a proper dump.

Just the one? - two terraces behind each goal (one uncovered and one irregular in shape) and the corrugated iron cowshed on the other flank - covering only about 60% of the side! 

The one modern stand runs the length of one touchline and is around 2k seats.

I really like it as a ground but can see it as an affectionate dump

Any of the many sh-it new plastic bowls, they are all the same and all utter w@nk.

Give me an old ground with terraces and a bit of character every day of the week.  :yes:

Yes lots of new grounds are very uninspiring.

The location of grounds also makes a difference. Some of my favourite away trips (e.g. QPR, Brentford) involve ramshackle grounds but plenty of pubs etc nearby (and usually at those particular grounds to drown the sorrows after a defeat!)

I haven't been there for a while, but they did have toilets in the open end then, but it was like walking down into a cesspit. If it's been closed now, that's got to be the best thing that has been done to that ground!

I didn't go last season but I was in the away end at Swindon in 2013. I remember those toilets. Just a long dark alley underneath the stand, unlit, with one solitary sink that didn't work. If it was a zoo the RSPCA would be all over it!

Just the one? - two terraces behind each goal (one uncovered and one irregular in shape) and the corrugated iron cowshed on the other flank - covering only about 60% of the side!

The one modern stand runs the length of one touchline and is around 2k seats.

I really like it as a ground but can see it as an affectionate dump

I remember when we went there in 2000 in the Auto Windscreens shield area final the home terrace behind the goal had recently opened.

The Den,Cold Blow Lane,those two names say it all really.

Have to agree with you. In the early 1970's, my wife's parents lived in SE London, about 6 miles from Cold Blow Lane and about 3 miles from The Valley.

Before we were married my wife and I were staying with her parents and she wanted me to take her to a 'proper' football match (she used to occasionally watch me play local football).

Charlton were playing away, but Millwall were at home to Luton Town who I think were leading the League, or were very close to it. A few days earlier, BCFC had just beaten Luton at AG. Despite trying to dissuade her she said she'd like me to take her to watch the Millwall match.

Fortunately, I was able to get (seat) tickets in the Home Stand (I was trying to impress, you understand). The football was good, but  my wife found the trouble on the terraces very threatening.

This was the last time she asked me to take her to a match.

Again fortunately, my son and daughter were keener to go and I'm pleased to say they are still true Reds

Worst three probably have to be Cambridge, Oxford's old Manor ground and the Memorial stadium (Even Twerton was better than the Mem because at least it had atmosphere)

So I guess that must make it official that Rovers have the worst ground in the football league.

In fairness, I've never been to Newport..!

I know you are one of the few sensible Gas on here but I think you've got your Gas forum head on (the deluded one)!!

Are you saying it is that much of a culture shock to be playing at the Azteca Whorefield one week and then having to endure Alfreton the next (who incidentally, for such a small club, are punching far higher in the stadium stakes than you lot are).

I'm taking my family camping sometime - do you think your lot would let me borrow their tent?!!

You've obviously never been to Alfreton!

As has already been mentioned, Northampton's ground is terrible: middle of nowhere and tiny stands that look like shoe boxes. Colchester's old ground at Layer Road was also pretty bad. I always enjoyed trips to Oxford's Manor Ground even though it was a dump.

The Minimal Patch is also terrible. I've only been there once to watch the rugby when my kids got free tickets through school and I wasn't expecting the Nou Camp but I was taken back with how bad it was - especially the tent-like contraption behind the goal we sat in that felt like it would collapse at any moment.

Some of the other grounds mentioned on here like the Vetch were tatty but great fun.

Not as bad as Northampton`s old ground. Went in 1989, and their stand seemed to be held up by scaffolding if my memory is correct?

St.James' Park, Exeter City.

I can see why most others think it's a s***hole, but as my nearest ground I do think it has an old school charm

Love St James' Park. But at least they can sort out a train station for fans. Take note Ashton Holt! I can remember being on the train from Exeter Central out to Exmouth about 10 years ago when Exeter played Man U in the FA Cup. Crazy!

Archived