IGNORED

Glastonbury

internetjef

I'm going, not fussed about the main acts this year at all. Rudimental and the Chemical Brothers will be my top picks.

Went last year for the first time and was totally overwhelmed by it all. There was loads of bands we wanted to see and were very tightly timetabled. This year there are less I want to see so hopefully will do more exploring and stumbling across the unexpected. The mud was so hard to walk round in last year, it's sort of fun but exhausting at the same time, so didn't see as much of the overall place as we wanted. Looking forward to being a bit more relaxed about seeing the bands but taking in a bit more of the after bands nightlife too this year.

Any recommendations???

Evercreech Junction was nearer.

Still in walking range of Castle Cary mind :)

As a local yokel to that areal, I reckon thee bis wrang there, me zunnn.

I live the other side of a hill from Pilton. I decided in January that I wouldn't go this year, and as it's a bloody nuisance for us locals - and we don't even get free tickets despite being in the same bloody parish - I have arranged to be out the country that weekend.

To anyone going for the first time, a word of advice: the festival you ought to be catching takes place away from the main stages. That's just a load of students watching bands in big fields - with the sound disappearing into the ether.

The madness is elsewhere.

Oh and take a battery operated phone charger too.

As a local yokel to that areal, I reckon thee bis wrang there, me zunnn.

I live the other side of a hill from Pilton. I decided in January that I wouldn't go this year, and as it's a bloody nuisance for us locals - and we don't even get free tickets despite being in the same bloody parish - I have arranged to be out the country that weekend.

To anyone going for the first time, a word of advice: the festival you ought to be catching takes place away from the main stages. That's just a load of students watching bands in big fields - with the sound disappearing into the ether.

The madness is elsewhere.

Oh and take a battery operated phone charger too.

I didn't say it was a short walk ;)

Seriously, I've done it.

I didn't say it was a short walk ;)

Seriously, I've done it.

Yep, you can walk from Cass'l Cary.

I reckon the old Shep'n station would be nearer than Ev'creech Junction though. That was only a mile or so outside Ansford. Maybe nearer to Worthy Farm as the crow flies.

I last went to the Festival in 2005. Had such a horrible time in a leaking tent that I have quailed at the thought of returning.

I'm going, not fussed about the main acts this year at all. Rudimental and the Chemical Brothers will be my top picks.

Went last year for the first time and was totally overwhelmed by it all. There was loads of bands we wanted to see and were very tightly timetabled. This year there are less I want to see so hopefully will do more exploring and stumbling across the unexpected. The mud was so hard to walk round in last year, it's sort of fun but exhausting at the same time, so didn't see as much of the overall place as we wanted. Looking forward to being a bit more relaxed about seeing the bands but taking in a bit more of the after bands nightlife too this year.

Any recommendations???

My recommendation is to not listen to too many recommendations. Go spend some time away from the main stage, see all the stuff that happens away from the music. I'm not going this year (nipper on the way, probably be a few years now before we go again: bloody kids!) but if I was there I think Sharon Van Etten, Songhoy Blues, Father John Misty, The Chems and George Clinton would be high up the list of acts to see. The Foo Fighters are always great live, but I saw them a couple of weeks ago (pre-leg break!)

My recommendation is to not listen to too many recommendations. Go spend some time away from the main stage, see all the stuff that happens away from the music. I'm not going this year (nipper on the way, probably be a few years now before we go again: bloody kids!) but if I was there I think Sharon Van Etten, Songhoy Blues, Father John Misty, The Chems and George Clinton would be high up the list of acts to see. The Foo Fighters are always great live, but I saw them a couple of weeks ago (pre-leg break!)

Including this one?

Because you only believe what the media portray it to be... It's nothing of the sort but hey don't let everyone know that. The play on the mud/rain is particularly hilarious every year.

Yeah, I've been to six and only one has been really muddy. Another one (2010 maybe?) it pissed it down on Wednesday night and got a bit grim, but warmed up sufficiently that by Friday the ground was bone dry. The stereotypical concept of Glastonbury is so far from what it's actually like it's not true

Yeah, I've been to six and only one has been really muddy. Another one (2010 maybe?) it pissed it down on Wednesday night and got a bit grim, but warmed up sufficiently that by Friday the ground was bone dry. The stereotypical concept of Glastonbury is so far from what it's actually like it's not true

2010 was the absolute scorcher, maybe too hot, but god the press would never ever comment on that one as it didn't rain!

2011 was wet Wednesday morning, litterally as people came through the gates but by Friday it was pretty much all dry. Last year the wood chippings really did dry stuff up in hours in places.

Any recommendations???

Chemical Brothers in 2011 remains one of my all time favorate gigs. Even the youtube video can't really portray the lightshow/feeling of being there. Topped off by then going and watching Orbital do a set on Arcadia. Eventually ended up on the stone circle at 4am watching sunrise. One of the best Saturdays at Glasto ever.

2010 was the absolute scorcher, maybe too hot, but god the press would never ever comment on that one as it didn't rain!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDTgGEEn-XE

2011 was wet Wednesday morning, litterally as people came through the gates but by Friday it was pretty much all dry. Last year the wood chippings really did dry stuff up in hours in places.

They all blur into one for me! I really can't think what year it was, can't remember for the life of me who was on. All I remember is sitting up in the flag field on either Wednesday or Thursday and feeling the first drops of rain, then it whazzing it down, everything getting muddy, me drinking lots of delicious, warming booze. Then the weather was decent the rest of the weekend. Could have been 2011, or maybe 2009? What year did Michael Jackson die while the festival was on?

Archived