IGNORED

Glastonbury

internetjef

That's the sort of experience I am aiming for this year, a few bands, the rest made up as I go along, not so much about the well known 'names' but more about the unknown and other stuff, dancing till dawn and watching the sun come up quietly (was knackered by 3am last year so didn't quite make a sunrise). Yes I'm probably to old to dance till dawn but what the hell!

The mud as I said was hard going, severely cut down the ability to just lie on the grass and chill. Very tiring but also fun in a way, think I might have been slightly disappointed if I didn't have the mud experience. I had my wellies which I lived in for the whole festival so I was ok there, surprising how many people weren't prepared at all, flip flops etc. I was more worried about falling over and bring absolutely covered, and for those not there I'm not talking a slight bit of mud on your clothes, you might as well have jumped into a bog!

As for long drops etc, you just get used to them. Pick and choose and try to use any that have just been cleaned. Everyone is in the same boat. I like my home comforts, but if I can adapt (you don't really have the choice) then anyone can.

They all blur into one for me! I really can't think what year it was, can't remember for the life of me who was on. All I remember is sitting up in the flag field on either Wednesday or Thursday and feeling the first drops of rain, then it whazzing it down, everything getting muddy, me drinking lots of delicious, warming booze. Then the weather was decent the rest of the weekend. Could have been 2011, or maybe 2009? What year did Michael Jackson die while the festival was on?

Michael Jackson died 2009, I remember as it was just after my Dad died. Back to Glasto, I really, really regret not going earlier...but life, kids, work etc got in the way. I'm a very later starter, last year bring my first.

They all blur into one for me! I really can't think what year it was, can't remember for the life of me who was on. All I remember is sitting up in the flag field on either Wednesday or Thursday and feeling the first drops of rain, then it whazzing it down, everything getting muddy, me drinking lots of delicious, warming booze. Then the weather was decent the rest of the weekend. Could have been 2011, or maybe 2009? What year did Michael Jackson die while the festival was on?

2011 was a the last really wet one.

97/98 saw flooding, but for me the worst was 2005 when it literally rained every moment from midday Friday to Monday morning. Half the site was an inaccessible quagmire and - yes - whatever Mr "I stay in my nice warm farmhouse and drive around the site in a landrover" Eavis says, it did make it very miserable.

I do agree with Tom that the media coverage does play up the mud issue though. I've been to 15 festivals and never seen people deliberately sliding in the mud, yet those are the pictures that get shown every year.

2011 was a the last really wet one.

97/98 saw flooding, but for me the worst was 2005 when it literally rained every moment from midday Friday to Monday morning. Half the site was an inaccessible quagmire and - yes - whatever Mr "I stay in my nice warm farmhouse and drive around the site in a landrover" Eavis says, it did make it very miserable.

I do agree with Tom that the media coverage does play up the mud issue though. I've been to 15 festivals and never seen people deliberately sliding in the mud, yet those are the pictures that get shown every year.

That's because young people today are wimps. The pictures are from the 70's and early 80's.

I haven't been since 1987, all too commercial for my tastes these days.

New Order headlined that year with a laser show (which was very cutting edge in 1987). I got forced at knifepoint, in my tent, to buy cannabis, but the knifeman did give me a very good deal.

I got a ticket and a lift by volunteering to work on the Playbus, painting faces. This job lasted about an hour as I ingested too many magic mushies and told the kids they could only be a tiger or Dracula, before running off giggling, never to return. 

Or perhaps more sensible now. And alert to the unpleasant biological agents lurking in mud in a field that usually hosts cows.

Cows? I didn't see any cows :(

Purple hippos, yes, and big orange dinosaurs... But no cows :(

10406543_10152405412939361_3646744395370220686_n.jpg

Duncan Abbott

To all of you that are going to Glastonbury this year.... This is James Hetfield of Metalica - who are headlining! Feel free to show your appreciation of this ******!

They headlined last year and this was all in the press. I totally agree that it was completely inappropriate to have a avowed trophy hunter leading a headline band given the supposed values of the festival. But as I didn't I last year I guess that's not really for me to determine

They headlined last year and this was all in the press. I totally agree that it was completely inappropriate to have a avowed trophy hunter leading a headline band given the supposed values of the festival. But as I didn't I last year I guess that's not really for me to determine

Yep sort of undermines the all the greenpeace shit really and proves that it's commercial whatever Eavis might say.

Yep sort of undermines the all the greenpeace shit really and proves that it's commercial whatever Eavis might say.

Oooh, we are a cynic! It is most definitely more commercial than it used to be- partly because of the size of the thing and partly because some people are making a hell of a lot of money every year. But in defence of Eavis, they still donate all the profits to charity and those profits are significant. Things like Metallica playing are an inevitable side effect, but one that could have been avoided with a bit of forethought

Oooh, we are a cynic! It is most definitely more commercial than it used to be- partly because of the size of the thing and partly because some people are making a hell of a lot of money every year. But in defence of Eavis, they still donate all the profits to charity and those profits are significant. Things like Metallica playing are an inevitable side effect, but one that could have been avoided with a bit of forethought

or with publicly displaying the claimed social awareness and growing a set and banning them from playing.

PS:- Cynic? probably, but seeing another noble beast with another **** wit fat arsed American stood over it as if he has achieved something special in life revolts me.

or with publicly displaying the claimed social awareness and growing a set and banning them from playing.

PS:- Cynic? probably, but seeing another noble beast with another **** wit fat arsed American stood over it as if he has achieved something special in life revolts me.

They should never have been booked in the first place- Hetfield's gun-love is well known

I was referring to your cynicism as Eavis' motives. I quite agree on trophy hunters and their apparent disregard for the lives of the animals they hunt

No foo fighters then, not the biggest surprise but not sure who'll they'll find to fill it with a weeks notice..

My bets are on Blur. Disappointed that Foo fighters pulled out but I suppose they wouldn't want to do a headline set that didn't do them justice. A shoo-in for next year though!

My bets are on Blur. Disappointed that Foo fighters pulled out but I suppose they wouldn't want to do a headline set that didn't do them justice. A shoo-in for next year though!

I think Dave Grohl has to have surgery doesn't he? With only a week till the festival starts, I imagine it'll be someone already playing promoted to the top of the bill. All the big acts that are about will be tied into contracts with other festivals or have other commitments. Saw the Foos a couple of weeks back, they're not my favourite band in the world, but they are so, so, so good live

I think Dave Grohl has to have surgery doesn't he? With only a week till the festival starts, I imagine it'll be someone already playing promoted to the top of the bill. All the big acts that are about will be tied into contracts with other festivals or have other commitments. Saw the Foos a couple of weeks back, they're not my favourite band in the world, but they are so, so, so good live

They should promote the Chems to Friday night, they'd totally smash it.

They should promote the Chems to Friday night, they'd totally smash it.

That would be a great call, though I reckon Florence + The Machine are more likely replacements with someone coming in underneath them. Which obviously would be no where near as good

Apparently AC/DC and The Strokes are kicking about with no other UK festival commitments, as well as the aforementioned Miss Swift...

Archived