IGNORED

Dziekanowski - City Legend Or Waster ?

Major Isewater

Was that his debut or Cole's in that 3-3 draw opening day against Pompey I think? Was certainly a bit lively in the dolman before kick off I remember!!

Neither was it? Remember Jacki's debut was at home to Southend. Can't remember Cole's but want to say it was a night match at home??

Was that his debut or Cole's in that 3-3 draw opening day against Pompey I think? Was certainly a bit lively in the dolman before kick off I remember!!

No  that 3-3 was the first game of the season the season after Jackie joined.  Cole had played about 12 games the previous season as well (On loan, I think he scored on his Debut as well)

Jacki was a superb footballer, yes he wasn't consistent, but the players worth watching, at the level we've been watching, often aren't - that's why they play for Bristol City

He was worth every penny for me, just because you didn't know what you were getting. I left the Gate moaning about him as often as I left singing his praises, so what? That individual piece of brilliance every other game was just so gobsmackingly different to anything I'd seen before, and he was doing it in a Bristol City shirt. The over the shoulder flick against Ipswich, whilst running down the wing, the late goals against Wolves at The Gate, when we actually beat Wolves. Yes kids, we have beaten Wolves before, and it was Jacki who won it

Anyone who calls Jacki a waster simply doesn't get it - he was a maverick, the same kind of players that people were salivating over on a thread not so long back after the series on ITV3 (or 4, God knows). If you want gray, bland football, I get that, I'm a fan of the 0-0 battle away from home from time to time. Jacki was a shining light, that worked intermittently, in a sea of some of the dullest football I've seen at City in all my years (I missed most of SODs reign), and I thank him for at least giving me the briefest glimpses of hope back then

And those sweatshirts with 'Dziekanowski' rather than 'Solidarity' that were doing the rounds were the best ones ever

Kids - if you've not seen him play, have a look around youtube, there will be plenty to see. Make your own mind up

Jacki - I salute you, thank you

Jacki was a superb footballer, yes he wasn't consistent, but the players worth watching, at the level we've been watching, often aren't - that's why they play for Bristol City

He was worth every penny for me, just because you didn't know what you were getting. I left the Gate moaning about him as often as I left singing his praises, so what? That individual piece of brilliance every other game was just so gobsmackingly different to anything I'd seen before, and he was doing it in a Bristol City shirt. The over the shoulder flick against Ipswich, whilst running down the wing, the late goals against Wolves at The Gate, when we actually beat Wolves. Yes kids, we have beaten Wolves before, and it was Jacki who won it

Anyone who calls Jacki a waster simply doesn't get it - he was a maverick, the same kind of players that people were salivating over on a thread not so long back after the series on ITV3 (or 4, God knows). If you want gray, bland football, I get that, I'm a fan of the 0-0 battle away from home from time to time. Jacki was a shining light, that worked intermittently, in a sea of some of the dullest football I've seen at City in all my years (I missed most of SODs reign), and I thank him for at least giving me the briefest glimpses of hope back then

And those sweatshirts with 'Dziekanowski' rather than 'Solidarity' that were doing the rounds were the best ones ever

Kids - if you've not seen him play, have a look around youtube, there will be plenty to see. Make your own mind up

Jacki - I salute you, thank you

Spot on.  The guy lighten up my footballing world back then,  A moments brilliance unlike anything you had seen from a city player, and I remember them all.  I don't remember brave blocks, booming clearances and endless running around charging things down.... I remember exquisite skill

Jacki lived opposite me in Clifton, and the most entertaining part of his time with City, for me, was seeing what angle his car was parked at in the morning, and how far away from the kerb it was.

Did he like a drink or do Poland just produce particularly careless drivers?

The fact that he gets a thread about him 20 years after he played shows what an impact he made to the club. He might not have been everyone's cup of tea, he might have been inconsistent, he might have drank too much, but every fan young or old has heard of him and that legacy puts him in the legendary status for me.

Cup of tea! cup of tea? It's about the only thing he didn't drink :drunk2:

I'm sorry but i don't buy into the Jacky was a legend theory..

The guy had talent but he did n't give a shot about City . He turned it on when he wanted to and that was n't nearly often enough , mean while the club and his team mates were going downhill fast .

Comparisons have been made with JET. but he gave more than Jacky ever did .

Just had to get it off my chest .

Tbf, I've never herd a bad word said about Jackie's attitude. I saw him play but was too young to know it (having said that, I do remember Martin Scott and Gary Shelton).

Cult hero's come in different forms (Bradley Orr, Andy Llewelyn). Immensely talented footballers are celebrated for a reason. Andy Cole is rejected, though. Probably the most phenomenal striker we have had, after Atyeo.

This has to be the funniest yet. I saw all of Dziekanowski's home games and most of them away and he NEVER came off the pitch like that.

Interestingly he also (rightly) rarely featured under Osman, after Lumsden (who signed him) and Dennis Smith who accommodated him, had both left.

At 31 his next move was to the German second division, surprisingly seeing as he was such a "great player".

How long were you suffering from diminished vision before diminished brain functioning set in?

You are effectively calling me a liar, perhaps the games I saw him as I posted, it was only raining on Jacki. My post is backed up by others, so perhaps you are in this instance, wrong. As an analogy how many league games did the great Geoff Merrick play after leaving BCFC and for who?

How long were you suffering from diminished vision before diminished brain functioning set in?

You are effectively calling me a liar, perhaps the games I saw him as I posted, it was only raining on Jacki. My post is backed up by others, so perhaps you are in this instance, wrong. As an analogy how many league games did the great Geoff Merrick play after leaving BCFC and for who?

Tbf anyone who tries to play professional sport after a night on the sauce is going to be sweating quite a lot! Always liked that story about Gazza getting motm whilst at Everton and he couldn't even remember playing and had to ask Five Bellies how he'd done.

Very talented at football and other macho pastimes.

A joy to watch when he wanted to perform.

Unfortunately, my abiding memory of him (and Andy Cole) was a very wet afternoon at St James Park when those two contributed sweet Fanny Adams to City and we lost 5-0 to a very ordinary Geordie side under the legend ( in his own mind) Keegan.

I remember being at that one (shudder).

I was a kid when he played for City.  For me at 10 or 11 years old he was amazing and back in those pre-internet days I had very little idea what he got up to off of the pitch.  Him and Andy Cole were my heroes and despite all that I learned about them later on I just can't help thinking of them as legends.

So the answer to whether or not Jacki was a legend is complex and depends a lot on how old you were at the time.  The adult part of me says no, the child part of me says YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!

I was a kid when he played for City.  For me at 10 or 11 years old he was amazing and back in those pre-internet days I had very little idea what he got up to off of the pitch.  Him and Andy Cole were my heroes and despite all that I learned about them later on I just can't help thinking of them as legends.

So the answer to whether or not Jacki was a legend is complex and depends a lot on how old you were at the time.  The adult part of me says no, the child part of me says YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!

This

Atyeo is celebrated, and rightly so. But I never saw him play, or any of the 8 - whilst I get what they mean to the club, I can only relate to the players I've seen in the shirt. And Jacki is well up there

One person's waster is another's legend. Football, marvellous, isn't it. Hmmmm.

He most certainly put philandering & hard drinking before turning in consistent performances for us, but what cannot be denied is that the bloke had more talent in his big toe than hundreds of City players we've all seen before, during or after his brief stay in BS3.

Cult hero for me; rightly encapsulated (as mentioned above) in the "Solidarno??" t-shirts produced during his time with us. (was that the BountyHunter boys' work?)

Tbf anyone who tries to play professional sport after a night on the sauce is going to be sweating quite a lot! Always liked that story about Gazza getting motm whilst at Everton and he couldn't even remember playing and had to ask Five Bellies how he'd done.

Pissed up or not, it's hard to believe that a professional footballer, no matter how lazy, would not sweat enough to get his shirt slightly wet on any day other than mid winter in Siberia. I had some of my best games after a night on the pjss. People wouldn't come near me as the smell of spew on my shirt and shyte in me pants would put them off, I did have a problem dribbling though.

Archived