IGNORED

Dziekanowski - City Legend Or Waster ?

Major Isewater

Seriously, and I mean seriously he was very overrated. He scored just 7 times in his City career and Osman summed up Jackie perfectly when he said about why he'd left him out "a few tricks and 30 yard shot ain't enough"

He played 62 times for Poland,so the one thing he 'wasn't' was overrated.

He just lacked desire at times in the English 2nd Division.

Jackie is a city legend as far as Im concerned. He's up there with my all time favourite city players. I was only 17/18 when he played for us but he was so so different on and off the pitch to the players I'd been use to watching that it felt like we really did have our own super star. I don't remember the bad just moments of genius. Now sadly I'm much older and despite his magic would probably get frustrated that he's not scoring 20 goals and tracking back. Growing up sucks.

I tweeted Andy Cole about Jackie as he more than contributed to the goals Cole got and subsequently his move to Newcastle, he replied with 'He was some player', not my words, the words of one of the prems top ever goal scorers

Hmmm...

...Andy Coles opinion...

...or Robboreds....

...(scratches chin)...

I may be mistaken but, I remember many times when Jacki would come off the pitch with his shirt soaking with sweat. I well remember him making runs into space and his teammates not having the ability to see or find him with the ball, because Osman had filled the team with workers and runners. I often saw him frustrated at his teammates inability or intended snub and Osman was all too keen to get him off, it's easy to isolate a player and make him look off the pace with team selection and tactics.

Many things happen behind the scenes and I believe Osman was trying to build a team for the future which did not include what he saw as the maverick type of player, or anyone on a par with himself as a senior pro at the club, so we saw the departure of Cole, Atteveld, Jacki, Gavin, Aizlewood, and Shelton who were all replaced by workmanlike players. Coincidentally we also saw the departure of about 5,000 on the gate as well.

Jacki was a fantastic player in my opinion, who I feel very lucky to have witnessed wearing a city shirt.

The same goes for JET.

"Legend" might be stretching it but I have fond memories of Jacki, even if those memories might have become rose-tinted by time. He was similar to JET in that in that opinion was (and still is) divided - one of the those players you could believe could do something special, even though in reality it was only fleeting. I am glad I saw him in a City shirt.

You should have went to Twerton when we lost 4-0, he did even less.

Aside from about four home games and Leicester away in the cup, a total waste of time.

Convinced many of those who bang on about him being a legend never actually saw him play...

that his pretty much how i remember him too. there were odd occasions you thought he was amazing,but most of the time you were praying he would do something with it not happening for a whole match

I suppose he fooled the international manager sixty odd times, as well as the Celtic manager. I don't for one minute suppose the opposition gave him special attention because of his reputation, or stopped the supply to him, or what I mention in my previous post did actually happen?

Not a legend, as he was not with us long enough and he was involved in a team in transition where he didn't seem to be wanted by the management, for whatever reason. He was shipped out and we were relegated with the workmanlike players the following season, I think.

But there again it's all a matter of opinion, I never saw many away games with him playing but, I probably saw all of the home games, including friendlies. The debate about football will always be divided.

Difficult to think that a player who played under 50 games can be a legend.

But anyone who saw what Jacki did to teams like Portsmouth and Cardiff at home and Leicester away must have thought, as I did (and still do) that this is one of the best players ever to have worn a city shirt.

It was a pleasure Jacki an thanks for the memories.

I'm sorry but i don't buy into the Jacky was a legend theory..

The guy had talent but he did n't give a shot about City . He turned it on when he wanted to and that was n't nearly often enough , mean while the club and his team mates were going downhill fast .

Comparisons have been made with JET. but he gave more than Jacky ever did .

Just had to get it off my chest .

He left the club in 1993, if you're still creating threads about him 22 years later, compared to football's relatively short history, I'd say that at least makes his time here legendary purely by definition.

I may be mistaken but, I remember many times when Jacki would come off the pitch with his shirt soaking with sweat. I well remember him making runs into space and his teammates not having the ability to see or find him with the ball, because Osman had filled the team with workers and runners. I often saw him frustrated at his teammates inability or intended snub and Osman was all too keen to get him off, it's easy to isolate a player and make him look off the pace with team selection and tactics.

Many things happen behind the scenes and I believe Osman was trying to build a team for the future which did not include what he saw as the maverick type of player, or anyone on a par with himself as a senior pro at the club, so we saw the departure of Cole, Atteveld, Jacki, Gavin, Aizlewood, and Shelton who were all replaced by workmanlike players. Coincidentally we also saw the departure of about 5,000 on the gate as well.

Jacki was a fantastic player in my opinion, who I feel very lucky to have witnessed wearing a city shirt.

The same goes for JET.

He left the club in 1993, if you're still creating threads about him 22 years later, compared to football's relatively short history, I'd say that at least makes his time here legendary purely by definition.

No it just seems that people go on about what a great player he was after all these years but i was hoping to capture the reasons why .

I saw him play plenty of times but was more  often frustrated by what he did n't do rather than the occasional flashes of brilliance he showed us.

I believe he sold us and himself short and wasted his talent.

We have evidently been so starved of this skillful type of player at the City  that a bit part player has achieved this level of cult status.

I tweeted Andy Cole about Jackie as he more than contributed to the goals Cole got and subsequently his move to Newcastle, he replied with 'He was some player', not my words, the words of one of the prems top ever goal scorers

...how very perceptive of AC ..'some player' really? - indeed a fascinating and informative insight, can't beat a bit of inside info eh?

Hope you thanked Andy for his thoughtful and lengthy critique.

And in Scotland.

Well he scored four goals in a European Cup Winners Cup tie against Partizan Belgrade when he was at Celtic....

He played in a World Cup Finals tournament for Poland

I think he was light years ahead of most of our players in the way he thought and the runs he made which they weren't good enough to spot.

He was not a waster, he could destroy teams on his own (Portsmouth, Ipswich at home, Leicester away) and it was a privilege to watch him play

...how very perceptive of AC ..'some player' really? - indeed a fascinating and informative insight, can't beat a bit of inside info eh?

Hope you thanked Andy for his thoughtful and lengthy critique.[/quote

Difficult to give an in depth, lengthy reply to a tweet with the 140 character limit?

Not sure what else AC could say

I may be mistaken but, I remember many times when Jacki would come off the pitch with his shirt soaking with sweat. I well remember him making runs into space and his teammates not having the ability to see or find him with the ball, because Osman had filled the team with workers and runners.

This has to be the funniest yet. I saw all of Dziekanowski's home games and most of them away and he NEVER came off the pitch like that.

Interestingly he also (rightly) rarely featured under Osman, after Lumsden (who signed him) and Dennis Smith who accommodated him, had both left.

At 31 his next move was to the German second division, surprisingly seeing as he was such a "great player".

No it just seems that people go on about what a great player he was after all these years but i was hoping to capture the reasons why .

I saw him play plenty of times but was more  often frustrated by what he did n't do rather than the occasional flashes of brilliance he showed us.

I believe he sold us and himself short and wasted his talent.

We have evidently been so starved of this skillful type of player at the City  that a bit part player has achieved this level of cult status.

JET?

Hope you thanked Andy for his thoughtful and lengthy critique.

Chill yer boots, it was on Twitter so there is a limit to what he could actually have said! I just added a comment to a thread about Jackie, Andy Cole could have said he was sh*t or not replied at all, the fact that he did reply, and in a positive light, would suggest to me that he rated the guy, and probably appreciates what playing with Jackie did to assist his move to Newcastle. I think the saying goes if you haven't got anything nice to say don't say it at all

Jacki was the only bright light in what was otherwise a very dark time at City. Jacki was the reason that my limited money at that time still went to the club and not on other things. Ability like that does not come around often and when it does enjoy it.

Archived