IGNORED

Pre-Season Portugal Tour

Redman91bcfc

You cared sufficiently to read the thread and comment, despite the thread title leaving no doubt as to what was being discussed.

In over 45 years of supporting City I've never ever been to a pre-season friendly at AG. They have never interested me largely because there's bugger all on the game and players play accordingly. The last thing any player wants is an injury just as the season is about to get underway.

In over 45 years of supporting City I've never ever been to a pre-season friendly at AG. They have never interested me largely because there's bugger all on the game and players play accordingly. The last thing any player wants is an injury just as the season is about to get underway.

Then thats your choice obviously.

A lot of us like to go and get a little preview of new players that have come in, visit local non league and lower ranked teams to swell their coffers as well....nothing wrong with that either is there ?

To be fair, the link is between a small section of fans the clubs have no link. Whatever the manager thinks is the best preparation for our season is fine with me

I always get the impression the club are reluctant to recognise the link because of the supporter groups involved. There's no denying a friendly against a decent Dutch outfit would be a good test, surely it's no coincidence the link has effectively been ignored for about 6 pre-seasons under 5 managers.

Feel sorry for those who paid for the trip, hopefully City are working to get us a good replacement to make up for the cancellation.

Sounds like it was City who cancelled it. Hope they announce today why.

(Based on Villa are playing at that ground against another team now).

• Admin

This reply is probably near enough the situation

I think that what may be being missed here is that re another thread friendlies appear to have become a commercial exercise! Imo we were binned by villa because they had a better offer! In the same way as imo we binned wsm because we had a better offer from Bath City, and wsm binned Clevedon in favour of newport! It seems to be the way that things work nowadays!

Not sure how that means that City were the ones who cancelled - it would look exactly the same as this if VIlla dumped us (weston-esque), if they are the ones who hold the booking for the venue

I always get the impression the club are reluctant to recognise the link because of the supporter groups involved. There's no denying a friendly against a decent Dutch outfit would be a good test, surely it's no coincidence the link has effectively been ignored for about 6 pre-seasons under 5 managers.

if it was Ajax, feyenoord or PSV then that is one of the decent teams. With respect to Willem a lower-mid table/more recently a yo yo club between the Eredivise and Eerste Divisie is probably below what City will want. Also the fact we are in Portugal for the pre season training, not Holland, for whatever reason and Villa were due be there too is probably why we didn't give Willem a call and say "get your asses out to Portugal so we can play you in a meaningless game because a couple of our fans want it"

• Admin

if it was Ajax, feyenoord or PSV then that is one of the decent teams. With respect to Willem a lower-mid table/more recently a yo yo club between the Eredivise and Eerste Divisie is probably below what City will want. Also the fact we are in Portugal for the pre season training, not Holland, for whatever reason and Villa were due be there too is probably why we didn't give Willem a call and say "get your asses out to Portugal so we can play you in a meaningless game because a couple of our fans want it"

Why go to Portugal at all now?

We're playing a lower league side out there, but in the same post say a mid table team from the Dutch top division are not good enough opposition, think you need to rethink your justification.

At the end of the day we've just been promoted out of the third tier of English football, let's not get ahead of who we are in footballing terms

Why go to Portugal at all now?

We're playing a lower league side out there, but in the same post say a mid table team from the Dutch top division are not good enough opposition, think you need to rethink your justification.

At the end of the day we've just been promoted out of the third tier of English football, let's not get ahead of who we are in footballing terms

because clearly a training camp of some such would have been organised out there, it's foolish to think we have gone out there just to have a friendly against Villa

Then thats your choice obviously.

A lot of us like to go and get a little preview of new players that have come in, visit local non league and lower ranked teams to swell their coffers as well....nothing wrong with that either is there ?

RR hasn't suggested there is anything wrong with it - understand they are necessary but not my cup of tea was the jist if I remember; I feel the exact same way. RR hasn't knocked anyone for enjoying them so not sure why you feel the need to ask the question...

Hmm, I see your point but it's something different to playing WSM/Cheltenham/Yeovil and probably a better standard.

I'm always confused why the club don't use the link - scouting notes can be exchanged, coaching methods, youngsters sent over to the respective countries to improve - seems to only be benefits.

That's how I see it. Not sure why we would pull out though unless our pre season plans have suddenly changed?

If it was Villa who pulled out it would be unlikely that they would arrange another game against lesser opposition.

That's how I see it. Not sure why we would pull out though unless our pre season plans have suddenly changed?

If it was Villa who pulled out it would be unlikely that they would arrange another game against lesser opposition.

Lesser opposition? A team that finished 4th in the league and was in the Champions League a few seasons back?

Dont think it matters but Willem II did get a win and draws against these decent teams this season. the reason city dont want to play a team like Willem II is there are people at the club against a section of fans having any influence, be they a handful or what is hundreds including sponsors and members of the lansdown club who were on one of the last trips to tilburg.

Dont think it matters but Willem II did get a win and draws against these decent teams this season. the reason city dont want to play a team like Willem II is there are people at the club against a section of fans having any influence, be they a handful or what is hundreds including sponsors and members of the lansdown club who were on one of the last trips to tilburg.

Ho hum..........

• Admin

Who said its been cancelled?

I believe the reference was to the Villa game, which Vilal themselves announced as being cancelled yesterday morning, but as yet still no mention on any BCFC site.

A large number of supporters booked to fly over to Portugal for when the side were due to play the Villa game - after details of time / place etc were advertised by our club.

Indeed the reason could be that there is another fixture being lined up, but to have no reference to anything going on is not great from our club

I believe the reference was to the Villa game, which Vilal themselves announced as being cancelled yesterday morning, but as yet still no mention on any BCFC site.

A large number of supporters booked to fly over to Portugal for when the side were due to play the Villa game - after details of time / place etc were advertised by our club.

Indeed the reason could be that there is another fixture being lined up, but to have no reference to anything going on is not great from our club

I've emailed David Lloyd.

He said: The tour will go ahead, and we will be able to clarify exact fixture details in the next day or two.

Archived