IGNORED

England Women

reddogkev

For me, the bottom line is that it was well worth staying up late for. Rough this morning though. :(

If you will share a bed with the hedgehog then expect to feel rough in the morning!

Well done the women.

Nice to beat Germany.

Nice to be wearing red as they did it.

Nice to do it on a penalty.

First time they have beaten them after 21 attempts.

Meant something to them tonight, and battled for everything.

3rd place.

Having watched a decent amount of women's football live, I actually think some of the skill levels - first touch, accuracy of pass etc - are pretty comparable to some of the men's professional game. It's really not bad at all.

The thing that has always struck me about women's football, however, is the poor decision making and game management. I'm talking things like pass and shot selection, central midfielders not realising their full-backs are the easy out-ball, players using the percentage ball at the wrong times etc.

All of the above is probably less obvious watching on TV, but it's still pretty evident. Is this because of bad coaching? Girls/women not watching enough live football to pick this stuff up? I'm not sure.

As for a men's versus women's game - it'd simply be no contest because of the physical aspect of the game.

You are spot on.

Technical the women can have the same skill levels as the men. But it is the physicality they cant compete with and the game play and reading the game they are light years away. I have been involved in boys and girls football and you do do see a big difference in which the girls and boys play.

I watched a couple of Bristol Academy games last season. Chelsea and Barcelona at AG. Both very enjoyable especially given the ticket prices. They might be struggling this season, but women's football in general is definitely worth supporting.

Having watched a decent amount of women's football live, I actually think some of the skill levels - first touch, accuracy of pass etc - are pretty comparable to some of the men's professional game. It's really not bad at all.

The thing that has always struck me about women's football, however, is the poor decision making and game management. I'm talking things like pass and shot selection, central midfielders not realising their full-backs are the easy out-ball, players using the percentage ball at the wrong times etc.

All of the above is probably less obvious watching on TV, but it's still pretty evident. Is this because of bad coaching? Girls/women not watching enough live football to pick this stuff up? I'm not sure.

As for a men's versus women's game - it'd simply be no contest because of the physical aspect of the game.

A decent summary based on experience with one thing missing - the standard of Goalkeeping in Women's football is generally shocking. Yes there are SOME very good saves made, such as Bardsley's last night, but overall the keepers are light years behind their male counterparts.

As for the comparison somebody made to League 1 I saw nothing last night to suggest they are remotely near that level yet. Really pleased that England got a great result but the game itself was dire for the most part. In terms of entertainment it was like watching a Sean O'Driscoll team - pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, HOOF.

Pride, passion, belief and a team 'will to win' .... all that was missing from the Under 21 wimps.

Won ugly..... but a win nevertheless.

All too often missing from their male counterparts.

USA 5- JAPAN 2.

An entertaining game and the women showed skill and sportsmanship. There were a couple of players on the losing team that pulled faces and waved arms, but nowhere near the extent of our English TV football at any level.

I do believe that a mans team would beat a woman's at professional level. Size, strength and physical contact would come into it. The USA/JAPAN match was a pleasure to watch. Skill, speed, fitness and I enjoyed a game without the dirty play, ankle taps, trips and elbows. The hat trick girl showed great finishing skill and the USA keeper was positive in every move she made. Well done girls, both teams deserve our praise.

Archived