IGNORED

England Women

reddogkev

Yeah I'm all for backing women's football but the England women's team would be battered by any Football League side. It's not their fault of course, but that is the fact.

Even one of the recently-joined teams that seems to think that blue and white quarters is a good look for a kit?

Top women's teams have better first touch and ball retention than teams at the level of Mangotsfield. Been watching both for years.

They would still get smashed, physically they could not compete, I would expect Yate Town to beat the ladies England team by 10 goals, for one the keepers are shite so would not save any half decent effort.

As said above, it's a different game.

They would still get smashed, physically they could not compete, I would expect Yate Town to beat the ladies England team by 10 goals, for one the keepers are shite so would not save any half decent effort.

Maybe, but at some level the physicality element would no longer be effective. If they played a Sunday pub side they wouldn't get a touch of the ball. Likewise if City's under 14's played a physical Sunday side the kids would probably win.

Thing is nobody really knows at what level there would be the crossover.

Surprised Sky haven't got something sorted.

As said above, it's a different game.

Anyone watching the Germany - US game?

It's L1 level at least, if not higher. Some lovely touches.

With respect....I now understand why we very rarely agree on subjects regarding football... I honestly can't believe you actually think that....Astonished.

Were you drinking at the time?

Having watched a decent amount of women's football live, I actually think some of the skill levels - first touch, accuracy of pass etc - are pretty comparable to some of the men's professional game. It's really not bad at all.

The thing that has always struck me about women's football, however, is the poor decision making and game management. I'm talking things like pass and shot selection, central midfielders not realising their full-backs are the easy out-ball, players using the percentage ball at the wrong times etc.

All of the above is probably less obvious watching on TV, but it's still pretty evident. Is this because of bad coaching? Girls/women not watching enough live football to pick this stuff up? I'm not sure.

As for a men's versus women's game - it'd simply be no contest because of the physical aspect of the game.

Even one of the recently-joined teams that seems to think that blue and white quarters is a good look for a kit?

Give them a chance to get used to League football first. New teams like the 15ers will take time to get used to the pace and physical aspect of the game.

Would anyone complain about a team made up of 11 Lionel Messi's. Not the most physical player but the world's best.

Very very unlikely but plenty of women out there of his size and physicality. At some stage in the future the 11 best women players in the world will be pretty good.

So you reckon if the USA or Germany women's team played against a mid table League One side, they would be a match for them?

Or are you just saying their technical skills are on the same level?

Whichever it is, I would wholeheartedly disagree, but the latter is far less ludicrous.

No. Men will always have a strength advantage over women and therefore beat them.

In that particular match - between the world's top two ranked women's teams - I saw a level of organisation and on-the-ball skills that was not dissimilar to some of the sides we've seen at AG last season.

From first watching women's games a decade ago, I'd say it's clear the coaching and understanding of the game has come on leaps and bounds.

With respect....I now understand why we very rarely agree on subjects regarding football... I honestly can't believe you actually think that....Astonished.

Were you drinking at the time?

See above.

Obviously I'm not saying they'd beat a men's team. I'm saying watch the passing, dead ball kicks, marking and you have to say you've seen worse in L1.

Funnily enough that game deteriorated somewhat as time went on, so perhaps stamina is an issue, but it was still an enjoyable contest for a neutral to watch. More enjoyable than some of the snoozefests in the men's cup last year.

The British men's heavyweight boxer would beat a women's heavyweight.

A British male 1500 metre runner would beat his female counterpart.

The England men's rugby team would beat the women's.

Andy Murray would smash Laura Robson.

Steve Backley threw the javelin further than Fatima Whitbread.

Steve Redgrave can row his boat quicker than any female rower.

Bradley Wiggins can ride a bike round a track faster than Laura Trott.

Etc, etc, etc.

Men's football and women's football are not comparable. Just like all sports. The men would win by a long margin.

So how about BLBR v England Lioness's, Harry ?

P.s I once got beaten by a girl but I was a high court judge at the time.

We'll know that the women's game has finally made it when pubs have extensions so we can watch them. Will there be any if they reach the final?

We're getting there; tonight's semi final is on BBC 1, not one of the lesser channels.

After men's football I do find it difficult to watch ladies/women's football. I've tried but I just can't get into it. It doesn't seem physically challenging enough for me, like they are always holding back.

The ladies have done a great job and I'm proud of them from an English point of view but that's it. Not for me.

After men's football I do find it difficult to watch ladies/women's football. I've tried but I just can't get into it. It doesn't seem physically challenging enough for me, like they are always holding back.

The ladies have done a great job and I'm proud of them from an English point of view but that's it. Not for me.

No gingers, Em?

Does it really matter if women's football is nowhere near as good as men's? Just enjoy it for what it is.

Most games I've seen in this tournament (in the knock-out stages at least) have been entertaining with a very decent level of skill. That'll do for me.

C'mon the Lionesses!

Does it really matter if women's football is nowhere near as good as men's? Just enjoy it for what it is.

Most games I've seen in this tournament (in the knock-out stages at least) have been entertaining with a very decent level of skill. That'll do for me.

C'mon the Lionesses!

Good point. Championship football is nowhere near as good as the European League. Does that mean we shouldn't watch and enjoy it?

Of course women's football isn't the same as men's. physically we aren't as strong nor are we encouraged to play it in schools. Ok it was a long time ago since my schooldays but I was allowed to play football in PE lessons once a year at the end of the winter term, as a treat. The boys were allowed for that one lesson to play hockey for that same reason. Infact it wasn't until long after I left school and saw men's hockey that I realised it was a sport men were 'allowed' to play.

I think women's football is very big in the US, much more so than the men's.

Have to say I have really enjoyed watching it.

Agree the power and pace is not there, but equally seen more good old fashioned tackles than I see in a full premiership season! Like comparing men amd womens tennis, just different.

Will catch the score in the morning and wish them every success. On paper they are now fourth best, but I do not think anyone could question their pride in wearing the three lions, and desire to win.

...and babysham, surely?

Of course women's football isn't the same as men's. physically we aren't as strong nor are we encouraged to play it in schools. Ok it was a long time ago since my schooldays but I was allowed to play football in PE lessons once a year at the end of the winter term, as a treat. The boys were allowed for that one lesson to play hockey for that same reason. Infact it wasn't until long after I left school and saw men's hockey that I realised it was a sport men were 'allowed' to play.

I think women's football is very big in the US, much more so than the men's.

Bit different these days, M. Both my girls play football at school and enjoy it. In fact they are probably bigger fans than I was at their age.

We see more women on the terraces and that will be a trend that I can only imagine continuing - which is a good thing IMO. Improves the atmosphere and the visuals!

Archived