IGNORED

Scouting Set Up

Drew Peacock

Do we have a European Scout or do we rely on free lancers?

I was fascinated by the book "The nowhere men" and the insight it gave on scouting, identification of players and so on.  Interestingly Keith Burt seems very highly regarded in that world and we were about to appoint somebody else shortly before he came available.

What we do now seems light years away from how player recruitment was done by us before and it would be interesting to know whether we have an overseas set up.

Keith Burts appointment was the more significant than any other appointment. The bloke is very experienced and knows how the world of British football works better than most. He has many national and European contacts and having heard him speak its makes you realise just how long overdue his appointment was.

Why it took so long for City to appoint a director of football at City will remain a mystery.

The best appointment City have made in decades - certainly in my years of following City.

• Admin

I think posts should be linited with auto cut off after about 100 words. That post by u Spud is just insane. I did not even start to read it and i am sure i speak for many. Not your fault just saying. Nuts.

Very informative, but agree it must be daunting reading off of a phone screen

I think posts should be linited with auto cut off after about 100 words. That post by u Spud is just insane. I did not even start to read it and i am sure i speak for many. Not your fault just saying. Nuts.

Much easier reading on my netbook whilst working....I only use a phone for phoning and texts....for the reason you state...I get frustrated reading on a phone screen.

And tbh... I think that's a problem in modern society....people just want 'soundbites'....and because of this, people lose 'the whole story'. It is often noted in posts, not just on here, but on other media forms as well, that some don't understand, because they have just get their info from 'soundbites'.

It's sad tbh.

The club may not necessarily have any 'salaried' scouts in place. It wouldn't be uncommon for them to have someone doing the job of a scout as and when required, i.e the odd report on a player, or more commonly upcoming opposition.

In the case of Kadjia, it could be someone Burt/SC has contact with on the continent, a tip-off from someone elsewhere in football or even, if somewhat unlikely at that price, an agent pushing for a transfer.

Spudski - George Orwell wrote very well (and concisely) about effective writing in 1946, somewhat before the introduction of Twitter or even OTIB. http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/george-orwells-5-rules-for-effective-writing/

The club may not necessarily have any 'salaried' scouts in place. It wouldn't be uncommon for them to have someone doing the job of a scout as and when required, i.e the odd report on a player, or more commonly upcoming opposition.

In the case of Kadjia, it could be someone Burt/SC has contact with on the continent, a tip-off from someone elsewhere in football or even, if somewhat unlikely at that price, an agent pushing for a transfer.

Spudski - George Orwell wrote very well (and concisely) about effective writing in 1946, somewhat before the introduction of Twitter or even OTIB. http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/george-orwells-5-rules-for-effective-writing/

Indeed he did....interestingly the 'soundbites' taken for that link come from this... http://www.orwell.ru/library/essays/politics/english/e_polit

;)

You think that was a good set up?

It was a disgraceful state of affairs.

Had the club had professional football people in influential positions it would never been allowed to happen.

Thankfully the club has seen the error of its ways.

Much easier reading on my netbook whilst working....I only use a phone for phoning and texts....for the reason you state...I get frustrated reading on a phone screen.

And tbh... I think that's a problem in modern society....people just want 'soundbites'....and because of this, people lose 'the whole story'. It is often noted in posts, not just on here, but on other media forms as well, that some don't understand, because they have just get their info from 'soundbites'.

It's sad tbh.

Good informative and full of substance original post. Sound bites are fine but this type of post is why I use the forums. To improve my knowledge about things that interest me.

It's never the initial long post that bothers me but rather the quoting of the entire post to add a reply. Itd be great if there was a character limit for quoting posts.

It was a disgraceful state of affairs.

Had the club had professional football people in influential positions it would never been allowed to happen.

Thankfully the club has seen the error of its ways.

Jon Lansdown?

And tbh... I think that's a problem in modern society....people just want 'soundbites'....and because of this, people lose 'the whole story'. It is often noted in posts, not just on here, but on other media forms as well, that some don't understand, because they have just get their info from 'soundbites'.

It's sad tbh.

I empathise with the soundbite comment i really do. damned if you do or don't i suppose. And as Fogg says below I am not exactly in a position to 'preach' am I... busted !!  :shutup:

Like your match threads then!

Shall I do a poll to see if people want them shortened Foggs? Genuine question my friend.

I empathise with the soundbite comment i really do. damned if you do or don't i suppose. And as Fogg says below I am not exactly in a position to 'preach' am I... busted !!  :shutup:

Shall I do a poll to see if people want them shortened Foggs? Genuine question my friend.

I shouldn't worry about it fella....you can't please everyone.

Some like well thought out posts....some like soundbites....and some like to just piss about, making puns....each to their own.

The one thing that irks me the most, and with respect, as I like your posts, but it's people complaining about other peoples posts or the person themselves...unless it's justified. If they have nothing to add to a debate, then why feel the need to say something? Just ignore or don't read seems the sensible answer.

Archived