IGNORED

Calais

SARJ

But who is exactly is rounding them up? They are in France, so what do you do - send in the SAS?  

Andd I cannot imagine them just lining up to be put on planes home - and in many cases (Syrians, Afghans, Somalis) you can't fly them there if they did.

I'm afraid I find that solution a nice idea but rather simplistic.

Our border control has been moved to France for this purpose. We are funding this anyway, if it needs a Military Police presence then that is what we should do.

This is about border control, something quite important RR. As shitty as it may sound but, it will take a bit more than the stiff upper lip, I say old chap, would you kindly go back to where one comes from attitude.

If you are having to round them up on military aircraft carriers, herding them like cattle because that is the cheapest way then, sorry, that's life. The cost of living in this country is horrendously expensive as it is, education is expensive, housing is expensive, our national health is expensive to run. You have to say NO sometimes, and I know that sounds shitty but it's the truth. It's not about being little Englanders or any other crap that gets categorised when this discussion happens, if you let half of these people in I can guarantee next year you'll be looking at double this amount. 

My post suggested nothing of the sort, it was a likely scenario nothing more nothing less and asking you the same question that you asked Screech.

My understanding is if they are true asylum seekers they should declare this at the first border that they cross, surely those who have failed to do that have already weakened their case of being a true asylum seeker and look increasingly more like economic migrants.

Your point about the Nigerian and tuition fees is very telling and is a failing of the human rights act, that gravy train lawyers exploit for very rich pickings. The French would normally do as Screech says and round them and return them from whence they came, with no access to human rights parasite lawyers, but of course when they did that with the Roma's, they were roundly vilified in the UK even from the tories.

PS:- Just to be clear I am not suggesting that they should be rounded up.

My suggestion would have been instead of allowing Blunkett to convince the French to close down Sangatte 13 years ago and just let them loose, UK and France should have jointly invested and staffed a fully functioning Sangatte where the migrants were properly processed and dealt with quickly, without the UK human rights lawyers licking their lips and enhancing their retirement funds.

Don't disagree with all of that, and apologies if I got the wrong inference from your earlier reply to me.

I made quite a long post and it was mainly about how we can immediately stave off another week of Operation Stack and chaos in the Kent countryside. It's a quick fix, not a long-term solution. As your post suggests, long-term solutions aren't easy and they require inter-EU dialogue.

Don't disagree with all of that, and apologies if I got the wrong inference from your earlier reply to me.

I made quite a long post and it was mainly about how we can immediately stave off another week of Operation Stack and chaos in the Kent countryside. It's a quick fix, not a long-term solution. As your post suggests, long-term solutions aren't easy and they require inter-EU dialogue.

of course, we could always ask the tories that instead of their bedroom tax, everybody with a spare bedroom be made to take an asylum seeker/migrant, that might shut the liberals up who expect the UK to take everybody and anybody.

One thing is for sure don't let anyone loose until we know as much about their antecedents as is possible, there has been far too much of that going on.

Whilst I can see where you are coming from RR, where would you put this additional 44% once processed? There's a serious shortage of housing in the UK as it is with increasing number of the existing population (of varying backgrounds) unable to rent/buy privately & stuck on waiting lists for council assistance that may never come, if they even qualify in the first place.

If I didn't share I would struggle myself & I don't qualify for any assistance in benefits.

We're talking about 2,200 people - assuming that they are accepted at the average level of asylum requests. 

Clearly, we can't continue to accept any old Tome, Dick or Abdul who turns up at the tunnel entrance in the future - but for now, I think we just need to get the process of getting things moving, getting freight moving, properly securing the border - and starting serious EU-wide talks about long-term strategy to manage this. 

Think one of the problems is British as a country beefed up its security when tunnel was built and getting anywhere near it in this country is near on impossible.

Meanwhile the French thought we've no problems here let's show off our very poor security perimeters for all terrorism etc. is britains side not ours.

Now move forward 20 years and all terrorist problems seem to be in France and there open plan security isn't looking so good.

Someone needs to go along and put up some good fences and make sure they start well away from the track not on top.

This is only a short term fix but would put people off trying to jump the fences and may well decrease the numbers.

• Admin

We're talking about 2,200 people - assuming that they are accepted at the average level of asylum requests. 

Clearly, we can't continue to accept any old Tome, Dick or Abdul who turns up at the tunnel entrance in the future - but for now, I think we just need to get the process of getting things moving, getting freight moving, properly securing the border - and starting serious EU-wide talks about long-term strategy to manage this. 

It may only be 2,200 people but if there's nowhere to put them, there's nowhere to put them. Do we let them in to live rough on the streets? Or are we holding back some as yet unutilised accommodation just in case despite having a housing problem for the existing population. It's almost the same logic as Cotts justifying selling Cunningham because we haven't got enough players anyway, we might as well let one more go.

Nice to see Harriet Harmoron focussing on the real issue - the term "swarm".

Let 2000 in and that's another 6000 allowed in due to the wonderful human rights act and the "right to family life".

It's a huge assumption that because someone can speak English and has an eany sort of qualification that they can manage to gain employment.

Can't help but think that some of the figures quoted here are somewhat underestimating the size of the problem. Kent C.C.are saying that they already have 500 unaccompanied minors under their care for all of whom they are legally obliged to find foster care and a social worker. They are at breaking point with many more to come.

Still no doubt the good old EU fantasists (''Imagine there's no countries, it's easy if you try'') will come up with a solution, well when all 28 participants can agree on something.

Open borders, does anyone think that the Italians for instance would allow them all to pass through their country if they knew the safety valve had been closed in the North and they would have to remain on Italian soil?

That's the point though, we're hardly 'letting them in'

It's like a tap where the washer has gone, a trickle is suddenly becoming a steady stream

As for the soft touch, we're ****** on that one - our reputation precedes us on that point

I'm guessing that is why Britain received 5% of the immigrants in the EU, whereas France (a similar sized country) receives 10% and Germany gets 30%?

I'm guessing that is why Britain received 5% of the immigrants in the EU, whereas France (a similar sized country) receives 10% and Germany gets 30%?

Thank you. I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove with this replying to my post though?

Under UN Refugee Convention these are not genuine asylum seekers.

They are not claiming asylum from France, they are in no fear of persecution in France so they are passing through genuine 3rd countries and not claiming asylum.

Britain has a basis therefore of immediately refusing to process their claims and returning them.

This is what we do in Australia. Refuse to process their claim and tow them back to Indonesia and set fire to their boats.

You simply need to stand firm. It's the only language they understand.

Well if the UK is such a "soft touch" and a massive magnet as you claim then why do vastly more choose Germany, France or even Sweden?

I didn't say we were 'a massive magnet'?

I think we are a soft touch to people who come here to claim everything they can, and not be prepared to integrate, work and learn the language. Your figures that suggest more end up in Germany, France etc is neither here nor there as I'm not overly interested in what happens there, I'll worry about my own country first

I didn't say we were 'a massive magnet'?

I think we are a soft touch to people who come here to claim everything they can, and not be prepared to integrate, work and learn the language. Your figures that suggest more end up in Germany, France etc is neither here nor there as I'm not overly interested in what happens there, I'll worry about my own country first

A vast majority of immigrants in this country are skilled, willing to integrate in society etc.  It is only a very small minority that take the piss and are able to exploit our welfare system.  The problem is that all the negative cases end up in the media which gives people a false perspective of what is actually going on.

A vast majority of immigrants in this country are skilled, willing to integrate in society etc.  It is only a very small minority that take the piss and are able to exploit our welfare system.  The problem is that all the negative cases end up in the media which gives people a false perspective of what is actually going on.

That's a valid point, and one that shouldn't be forgotten - well said

You have hit the nail on the head and unfortunately the small minority, who should have lost the right to stay in the UK are then given tickets to board the gravy train of the legal profession who are using the human rights act as a cash cow and not what it is intended for to allow these people to stay in the UK, whatever they have done.

A vast majority of immigrants in this country are skilled, willing to integrate in society etc. It is only a very small minority that take the piss and are able to exploit our welfare system. The problem is that all the negative cases end up in the media which gives people a false perspective of what is actually going on.

Exactly. The average immigrant to the UK pays more in taxes and claims less in welfare than the average British born citizen.

Surely you don't believe those statistics. Nothing the EU produces can be believed, it is all done with the long-term aim in mind of producing ever closer union eventually leading to a European super state. Plenty of quotes to support this going way back to the founding fathers and the early days of the European Coal and Steel Community. They will lie, bend the rules, do whatever it takes to fulfill that aim.

Archived