IGNORED

Kodjia

Langford Red

Kodjia looked bright and keen for an hour feeding on scraps of service. He had a shot from distance over the bar (not shown on TV).Wednesday did a great job keeping the supply from Freeman to a minimum . Give the bloke time to settle in.

The difference being unlike the pundits is I live in France and actually watch a lot of French football including unfortunately a fair amount of ligue 2 and the standard is generally shit, I can't think of too many ligue 2 players who have made a huge impact in the English game, so would interested to know of whom you are talking, the last sentence is the only sentence that is anywhere near accurate.

Wasn't Giroud once player of the season in Ligue 2? Seems like he went on to adapt well to the English game.

Kodjia looked bright and keen for an hour feeding on scraps of service. He had a shot from distance over the bar (not shown on TV).Wednesday did a great job keeping the supply from Freeman to a minimum . Give the bloke time to settle in.

I don't think it is though. I have heard many pundits saying French football is the most similar to the English game in physicality and high temp. Thats why so many come over here and look the part. To be such a success in ligue 2 is very promising. Look at him physically and it is not like a little guy coming over here who might get bullied. Big guy who looks quick. Get the team playing well and fitness levels up and he could well be a great signing.

Trust me. Es is right.

Generalisations are, by extension, lacking in accuracy, but Ligue 2 is similar to our Divisions 1 and 2.

That is not to say there are not some good teams in Ligue 2 and, without doubt, there are certainly some excellent players: it is just that the overall standard is pretty mediocre.

Wasn't Giroud once player of the season in Ligue 2? Seems like he went on to adapt well to the English game.

Giroud then spent 2 seasons in ligue 1 with Montpelier including a championship season where he scored a lot of goals which is why Arsenal signed him, to be entirely accurate, before moving to Arsenal from Montpelier who were ligue 1 champions.

Fourth best??? In the world???

Spain, Germany, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Holland...

I'd be surprised if the championship was in the top 10

It's not the fourth best obviously.  It's probably the fourth richest though.  I suspect the change from Ligue 2 to the Championship is less quality and more cultural in terms of the kind of football being played.

Both spot on and The Bard is right, Rupert Murdoch's parachute payments make it over valued.

Some people are being very contradictory on here; on the one hand "it is a big gamble" taking a player from Ligue 2 to the dizzy heights of the championship and on the other hand "he was running quicker than we could think". You can't have it both ways - give the guy time.

p.s moaners - we live on a wet little island - nothing special - get over it.

Yoan Gouffran, Olivier Giroud, Diafra Sakho and Jonathan Kodjia have all won Ligue 2 player of the year and made a switch to English football. Not a bad list excluding Kodjia(he's only played one match so not a success...yet). Doesnt mean he'll be good but there is a chance he could be fantastic. Too soon to tell.

Maynard scored what 7 goals in his first season with us? Weve not been known for introducing foreign players well into out team for years if you discount players from similar cultures (Ireland and Australia) Ivan maybe our last decent one???

My slight concern is up front tbh! Wilbs until last season was never really a goalscorer esp at higher level and is knocking on and all the others are untried at this level! Hope one of them clicks and bangs 40 goals though!!!

Yoan Gouffran, Olivier Giroud, Diafra Sakho and Jonathan Kodjia have all won Ligue 2 player of the year and made a switch to English football. Not a bad list excluding Kodjia(he's only played one match so not a success...yet). Doesnt mean he'll be good but there is a chance he could be fantastic. Too soon to tell.

After winning his ligue 2 player of the year Gouffran played 5 seasons in ligue 1 with Bordeaux,  Olivier Giroud also as I have already pointed out played 2 seasons in ligue 1 including a championship winners medal with Montpelier before transferring to Arsenal, Sakho indeed did play all of his career in ligue 1, Gouffran and Giroud cannot be considered ligue 2 players when they came to the UK.

if you read what I said in my original post I believe that he will be ok, but believe me the step up directly from ligue 2 is very big and it will take time and I reiterate the French ligues are pussy compared to the English leagues, the physios in France are the least employed people on the staff on match days, FFS even Joe 'porcelain' Cole managed 32 games in a season at Lille.

Agree with EMB, although I've only seen one live L2 games, I've seen 10 seasons of Toulouse and Montpellier and quite frankly sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same sport as the English game. Very different, few tackles, lots of passing it around the back and midfield, very few risks.

Having said that, many decent French players have come good in England, including a big chunk of the 98 World Cup winning squad..

Let's start judging him properly in a few months, then he'll still have a season or two of improving to do.

Agree with EMB, although I've only seen one live L2 games, I've seen 10 seasons of Toulouse and Montpellier and quite frankly sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same sport as the English game. Very different, few tackles, lots of passing it around the back and midfield, very few risks.

Having said that, many decent French players have come good in England, including a big chunk of the 98 World Cup winning squad..

Let's start judging him properly in a few months, then he'll still have a season or two of improving to do.

Very true Ralph, however very few will have made the transition from French ligue 2 to English prem or championship, the most talented ligue 2 players are snapped up by ligue 1 clubs who cash in at the earliest opportunity, ala Giroud and Koscielny.

My neighbour used to give me free tickets to watch OC Vannes in ligue 2 and I felt duty bound to use them, god it was depressing the standard was so poor I would say that any gas team in the past 20 years could even beat them 99 times out of 100 and at one stage they were close to promotion to ligue 1, luckily the pay off was free tickets for Rennes and Lorient both ligue 1 sides with quality players, quality facilities and quality academies.

There is no doubt there are a lot of untapped talent up for grabs in French football, but the physical side of the French game is not the best grounding, Kodjia if he plays against Luton will have a rude awakening to the English game, but I think he will be fine and an asset once he settles and understands the English game better.

The first game I saw over here was 2002 Rennes v Nice an end of season game Petr Cech was in goal for Rennes, the Rennes physio leant against the dugout smoking for the whole ******* game.

Andy Delort was nominated two years ago....

Maynard scored what 7 goals in his first season with us? Weve not been known for introducing foreign players well into out team for years if you discount players from similar cultures (Ireland and Australia) Ivan maybe our last decent one???

My slight concern is up front tbh! Wilbs until last season was never really a goalscorer esp at higher level and is knocking on and all the others are untried at this level! Hope one of them clicks and bangs 40 goals though!!!

I assume you mean Ivan Testematanu and not Mr Sproule from NI?

What do you mean by 'we're not known for introducing foreign players into our team for years'?

I'd say Albert Adomah, Shaun Goater, Greg Goodridge, Soren Andersen, Adriano Basso, Vilmos Seebok, Evander Sno did quite well relatively recently?!

What do you mean by 'we're not known for introducing foreign players into our team for years'?

I'd say Albert Adomah, Shaun Goater, Greg Goodridge, Soren Andersen, Adriano Basso, Vilmos Seebok, Evander Sno did quite well relatively recently?!

Goodridge, Andersen, Seebok and Sno were all incredibly inconsistent IMO.

Very true Ralph, however very few will have made the transition from French ligue 2 to English prem or championship, the most talented ligue 2 players are snapped up by ligue 1 clubs who cash in at the earliest opportunity, ala Giroud and Koscielny.

My neighbour used to give me free tickets to watch OC Vannes in ligue 2 and I felt duty bound to use them, god it was depressing the standard was so poor I would say that any gas team in the past 20 years could even beat them 99 times out of 100 and at one stage they were close to promotion to ligue 1, luckily the pay off was free tickets for Rennes and Lorient both ligue 1 sides with quality players, quality facilities and quality academies.

There is no doubt there are a lot of untapped talent up for grabs in French football, but the physical side of the French game is not the best grounding, Kodjia if he plays against Luton will have a rude awakening to the English game, but I think he will be fine and an asset once he settles and understands the English game better.

The first game I saw over here was 2002 Rennes v Nice an end of season game Petr Cech was in goal for Rennes, the Rennes physio leant against the dugout smoking for the whole ******* game.

Haha! Sounds about right for France.

Strangely enough had he stayed he would have played L1 yesterday, beating my old team, Toulouse.

A few French football journos at the time suggested he would have done well in L1 this season either with Angers or a bigger club.

To me, he looks to have the right attributes, it's just can he settle in England and want to adapt to the English style. I'm gonna say yes........but until next Saturday I'd have never seen him in the flesh!

Goodridge, Andersen, Seebok and Sno were all incredibly inconsistent IMO.

Yep but the guy was saying we are not known to introduce foreign players into our team, regardless of performances we did introduce those. It wasn't a comment about 'good' foreign players just 'foreign' players.

I know I said I thought the ones I listed did ok but really I was just giving examples of foreign players we've had as I didn't understand why he'd said we don't get foreign players in....

Haha! Sounds about right for France.

Strangely enough had he stayed he would have played L1 yesterday, beating my old team, Toulouse.

A few French football journos at the time suggested he would have done well in L1 this season either with Angers or a bigger club.

To me, he looks to have the right attributes, it's just can he settle in England and want to adapt to the English style. I'm gonna say yes........but until next Saturday I'd have never seen him in the flesh!

Angers started well with a 2-0 win at Montpelier, I said a couple of weeks ago the timing of the signing of Kodjia was impeccable, not long after he signed for us Villa signed Jordan Ayew from Lorient for 12mil euros and Kodjia is just the sort of signing that they would have made to replace Ayew.

Angers started well with a 2-0 win at Montpelier, I said a couple of weeks ago the timing of the signing of Kodjia was impeccable, not long after he signed for us Villa signed Jordan Ayew from Lorient for 12mil euros and Kodjia is just the sort of signing that they would have made to replace Ayew.

Oh yeah, I mixed up my teams there, Toulouse won 2-1 , as you say, it was Montpellier who lost to Angers.

I think Montpellier will struggle this season, shame, I preferred watching them to Toulouse, better football and easy to get to on the tram system. Plus, it was an old fashioned ground except for a huge terrace that towered above the stand on one side, made for the 98 World Cup, they only opened it for big games but you could sit there for 15 euros.....top flight football for a little over a tenner!

Relatively recently?! Most of these go back to my childhood and I'm 30 next year! Will give you Basso and Sno but given AA was born in London I don't think he really counts as a foreign player who has been integrated into the team from another culture....although they are a strange breed in that London...

Yep but the guy was saying we are not known to introduce foreign players into our team, regardless of performances we did introduce those. It wasn't a comment about 'good' foreign players just 'foreign' players.

I know I said I thought the ones I listed did ok but really I was just giving examples of foreign players we've had as I didn't understand why he'd said we don't get foreign players in....

i meant we don't integrate them in to our team well and those that do i.e goater we got from Rotherham! Basso being a rare exception! Wether that because we don't make them feel at home or perhaps they are just not cut out for English football who knows!!

Almost all foreign imports find the English difficult when they first arrive. For example Drogba was crap in his first season at Chelski and look what a striker he turned out to be.

No doubt opposition defenders will "welcome" Kodjia to the league with a heartily challenge or three and I'm not expecting much from him until he's adapted to the physicality of the Championship. As EMB pointed out there's a huge difference between the French leagues and our English ones but other French players have been huge successes over here. I'm optimistic Kodjia will turn out to be quite a find.

He was pretty much what I expected really. A lot of foreign players struggle in a new league and with him only recently joining he has not had the time to adapt to our style o play.

It can take foreign players a years or so to adjust and in some cases they may never hence the risk with signing them.

Only time will tell.

Archived