IGNORED

Its Obscene And I Would Rather Get Relegated

BS3_RED

it's called a reality check TRL, sadly this is not the championship that we fell out of 2 seasons ago, it is awash with clubs still flush with not only parachute payments but also meaty transfer fees for players that they have sold on after their fall from grace, I suspect the reality actually is circumstances change and ours did in May.

that maybe the case, and quite obvious judging by transfer fees over the past 2 years in the championship.  My issue is yet again SL trying to get fans to buy into his vision and yet again doing a 180 on it.  It is the one constant in his leadership of this club.

Than spend this sort of money any player let alone one who has only had one good season. Even with Gayle I was wondering what the hell what going on and would not have been able to see it as good business.

We are a small club and if we are to live within our means in this division and that means we become a yo yo club between the Championship and League 1 then so be it.  Now I would say the same if SL decided that he wanted to blow a chunk of his cash and but several quality players and go for it but this is not even that by the looks of it. This is a case of spending this sort of cash just to tread water This is desperation and as fans we have to be careful.  Remember Luton, Pompey etc who spent beyond their CLUBS means and what has happened to them.

I know SL is loaded and if he wants to throw his money around then thats his call but the club BCFC have to be protected from this going wrong.

I know many of you will abuse me for this post but this is just wrong. If we had spent 9m on say 4/6 players from L1 and had built a whole squad I could have said fair enough but 9m on one player when we are still so bare........ Its wrong 

If the thought of spending that  much appalls you so much and If you dont want your season tickets anymore I know someone who'll take them off your hands.

Relegation would be acceptable to you? I have nothing to say.

It looks like you've been reading your gaschat forum for too long!

Than spend this sort of money any player let alone one who has only had one good season. Even with Gayle I was wondering what the hell what going on and would not have been able to see it as good business.

We are a small club and if we are to live within our means in this division and that means we become a yo yo club between the Championship and League 1 then so be it.  Now I would say the same if SL decided that he wanted to blow a chunk of his cash and but several quality players and go for it but this is not even that by the looks of it. This is a case of spending this sort of cash just to tread water This is desperation and as fans we have to be careful.  Remember Luton, Pompey etc who spent beyond their CLUBS means and what has happened to them.

I know SL is loaded and if he wants to throw his money around then thats his call but the club BCFC have to be protected from this going wrong.

I know many of you will abuse me for this post but this is just wrong. If we had spent 9m on say 4/6 players from L1 and had built a whole squad I could have said fair enough but 9m on one player when we are still so bare........ Its wrong

Well said mate. God alone knows how this fits in with the strategy announced last year. This potentially changes this football club, and not for the better if you ask me. If people want us to progress by throwing huge amounts of money at unexceptional players then that's up to them, but frankly I'd rather watch a team that develops a long term strategy and builds on its youth programme. Does that make me 'small minded'? If I'm honest, I rather hope it does.

This is madness.

Complete madness.

Could well bite us on the bum good and proper.

However, where I depart is looking at this as if we are acting like a normal club, where this creates unsustainable debts that in a dash for the premiership puts the whole club at risk. 

It very clearly does not. His track record so far is if this goes pear shaped, it will be SL carries the can medium term, not the club. That is the one big saving grace. I am sure he has considered that.

Seems to rip up the financial strategy adopted to date, but he is betting his money, not the future of the club. In that I trust him entirely.

So, I hope he is good!

The player is 24 so is an exact fit for the strategy. The cost is high but I suspect the club are on the verge of some windfall money

To say you would rather be relegated is more than a bit rich. Who is going to fill 27000 seats in league 1? No one saying they would rather be relegated I'll bet. 40 m on stadium and money to make a challenge what do people want. More failure? I guess so

I do put my hard earned into the club by buying three season tickets and a fortune following this club all over the country while most of you lot were sat on you sofa last week while I was at Wednesday.

I asked if you were at Luton because you are billing yourself as a super fan, that deserves more credit on a forum for being lucky enough to attend matches.

I just fancied a dick waving contest that was all....

And for the record.... it doesn't matter if you attend 0, 1 or 50 games it doesn't make you a better fan... it makes you a luckier fan.

Anyone who states that they are a Bristol City fan regardless of how many games they attend... is a BCFC fan... Simples.

I must say I agree with you and your sentiment. The line that you have to spend big to get good players is complete and utter shite. When Leeds signed McCormack and Blackburn signed Rhodes I was shocked and appalled that championship football should be like that. Now it is us I am equally shocked and appalled. We spend the last two years telling everyone that we're not going to overspend anymore and the budget is under control. We were seemingly idolising the successes of teams like Stoke and Swansea. Now we're part of the problem. Ticket prices too high, expensive food in the ground, high priced merchandise etc etc is all fueled by clubs being willing to part with this kind of cash. 

I asked if you were at Luton because you are billing yourself as a super fan, that deserves more credit on a forum for being lucky enough to attend matches.

And for the record.... it doesn't matter if you attend 0, 1 or 50 games it doesn't make you a better fan... it makes you a luckier fan.

Anyone who states that they are a Bristol City fan regardless of how many games they attend... is a BCFC fan... Simples.

Fine words there sir... and from a Tetbury man to.

Astounding!! ;)

I was responding to whoever it was that asked if I put my hard earned cash into the club. Now I might not do in shares but I still spend a lot of money watching the team I love and that was the point I was making and not that i am a supper fan cos I am not, never have been and never will be.

I wouldn't say straight out I would rather we were relegated, but I hope that SL has taken a long, hard look at this and can justify it to himself.

I'm a little disappointed that we appear to have decided to chase the dream by throwing money at it and still say that the crash will come sooner or later. I just hope we are prepared for when that does happen. SL himself just being there ensures we are no doubt better placed to survive it than most.

Can't erase the mental picture of the OP hunched over his keyboard with full kit on, muttering swearwords. Let the big boys run the club, concentrate on justifying those 3 season tickets to yourself, and remember that the only influence you have on BCFC are your posts on here.?

Can't erase the mental picture of the OP hunched over his keyboard with full kit on, muttering swearwords. Let the big boys run the club, concentrate on justifying those 3 season tickets to yourself, and remember that the only influence you have on BCFC are your posts on here.

I have not bought a full kit in over 25 years

Just one point YS, we've been in the same hands for the last 15 years. In that time we were 40M in debt with a 18M wage bill in this league.

Not saying that situation will arise again but we have been financially very poor in some respects... He wouldnt let the club fall out of business, of course not but in stature terms we did spiral downwards for 5 seasons.

True, and I openly criticised SL for not showing the ruthlessness in football that he does in business, it won't be popular but I think he showed too much loyalty to a manager he should of got rid of a season or 2 before he did, instead he gave the guy more and more money, through transfer fees, stupid contracts & wages, when we had what seemed to be a non existent scouting network and a manager who'd past his sell by date (despite doing very well) and couldn't recognise a good striker if one hit him in the face.

I've voiced my concerns that I hope he's more ruthless going forward & if things are going south, he acts quickly instead of throwing more money at a lost cause. SL is willing to trust SC with a large transfer kitty, I'm sure he's done his homework and will not risk a) our championship future or b) the clubs long term finances.

that maybe the case, and quite obvious judging by transfer fees over the past 2 years in the championship.  My issue is yet again SL trying to get fans to buy into his vision and yet again doing a 180 on it.  It is the one constant in his leadership of this club.

The vision was a league 1 vision TRL and now it's not because league 1 has been done.

True, and I openly criticised SL for not showing the ruthlessness in football that he does in business, it won't be popular but I think he showed too much loyalty to a manager he should of got rid of a season or 2 before he did, instead he gave the guy more and more money, through transfer fees, stupid contracts & wages, when we had what seemed to be a non existent scouting network and a manager who'd past his sell by date (despite doing very well) and couldn't recognise a good striker if one hit him in the face.

I've voiced my concerns that I hope he's more ruthless going forward & if things are going south, he acts quickly instead of throwing more money at a lost cause. SL is willing to trust SC with a large transfer kitty, I'm sure he's done his homework and will not risk a) our championship future or b) the clubs long term finances.

And to add, I do think that it's a lot of money but as I said in a previous post, who are we to doubt such a successful and prudent business man.

I hate modern football and the ridiculous amounts of money involved but I will be damned if I'm going to worry about it with SL in charge, now if I were a Cardiff fan then, well I'd be bricking it.

Archived