IGNORED

Pure Greed From Gray?

Tomo

Don't believe me then, it's no skin off my nose!!

But players don't just have themselves to think of!!

It happens, players have a life outside of football.

I've known players & coaches for that matter who never even knew where Bristol was on a map & even been asked "isn't that a pain in the arse to have to cross that bridge every time you want to come to England"?

And this gentleman was in his late 50's!!

People are ignorant, you only have to look at Gayle, who didn't even come to Bristol!!

And yes, he's probably been to Bristol before but he'd have no interest in living here because of ignorance as much as anything else!!

Of course Gayle has been to Bristol.....he's mates with someone on here's sisters sons uncle step mothers granddaughter.....or something like that. If only he'd been taken to BS3 and not The Waterfront!!!!!

Some of you on here really need to get out more. The belittling of little old Burnley is quite frankly absurd. Burnley have been in the Premier League twice in the last few years and have a history of winning the top division, albeit a long time ago. What history does Bristol City have? I'm struggling to think of anything apart from the Johnstone Paints/Autoglass thingy and you've just come up from the 3rd tier. Burnley can pay decent wages (NOT huge wages) because they've been successful. Since when is that a crime? We don't have any super rich backers.

As for Burnley being a dump. How many have actually been to the town apart from the football? The town is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain, within 10 minutes of the town centre. And, anyway, who really thinks players actually live near to the club they play for these days. Manchester, where most for the players live, is only 40 minutes away and I'm sure is a more attractive proposition than Bristol.

Gray has been interviewed on local radio and says he was very close to signing for Bristol City until Burnley came in. Apparently, according to him, the wages offered were not a lot different, but he thought he had a better chance of the Premier League and career progression with Burnley and he knows our Director of Football, Frank McParland, who used to be at Brentford.

Putting aside blatant bias (which of course is par for the course for all football fans), the fact remains that, at the moment, on paper Burnley stand a better chance of getting back to the Premier League than Bristol City. Whether that turns out to be the case of course, only time will tell.

Of course Gayle has been to Bristol.....he's mates with someone on here's sisters sons uncle step mothers granddaughter.....or something like that. If only he'd been taken to BS3 and not The Waterfront!!!!!

Ha ha Yeah of course. With all the Gray stuff had forgotten about JJT being mates with Gayle.

Some of you on here really need to get out more. The belittling of little old Burnley is quite frankly absurd. Burnley have been in the Premier League twice in the last few years and have a history of winning the top division, albeit a long time ago. What history does Bristol City have? I'm struggling to think of anything apart from the Johnstone Paints/Autoglass thingy and you've just come up from the 3rd tier. Burnley can pay decent wages (NOT huge wages) because they've been successful. Since when is that a crime? We don't have any super rich backers.

As for Burnley being a dump. How many have actually been to the town apart from the football? The town is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain, within 10 minutes of the town centre. And, anyway, who really thinks players actually live near to the club they play for these days. Manchester, where most for the players live, is only 40 minutes away and I'm sure is a more attractive proposition than Bristol.

Gray has been interviewed on local radio and says he was very close to signing for Bristol City until Burnley came in. Apparently, according to him, the wages offered were not a lot different, but he thought he had a better chance of the Premier League and career progression with Burnley and he knows our Director of Football, Frank McParland, who used to be at Brentford.

Putting aside blatant bias (which of course is par for the course for all football fans), the fact remains that, at the moment, on paper Burnley stand a better chance of getting back to the Premier League than Bristol City. Whether that turns out to be the case of course, only time will tell.

If you think Manchester is a more attractive proposition to Bristol, you've obviously never been to Bristol

Don't disagree with most of this. Only thing I'd question is whether Bristol or Manchester is a more attractive place to live as I think that it is purely down to personal preference and family situation. In this case it would seem that living north was certainly not an issue for Gray.

I was going to say the same thing. Manchester is nice but Bristol is definitely on a parr, especially if you are a young lad who likes music.

I wouldn't even say Manchester was particularly nice. There's a lot going on, which I suppose will probably appeal to a young man. But in terms of its attractiveness as a city, Bristol is miles better

Agree with a lot of this, Manchester v Bristol we could row about until the cows come home, both have nice areas both have bad, but overall both nice places

The belittling of Burnley though from many on here had been shameful, naive and pathetic though

Personally don't blame him for joining Burnley and I do wonder with his City past and how he was treated by City fans what Dyche had to say about City to Gray....a lot of factors come into play with transfers

More than just money

I wouldn't even say Manchester was particularly nice. There's a lot going on, which I suppose will probably appeal to a young man. But in terms of its attractiveness as a city, Bristol is miles better

And yet how many of the City squad actually live in Bristol, barely any of them

I was going to say the same thing. Manchester is nice but Bristol is definitely on a parr, especially if you are a young lad who likes music.

Bristol got one the best music scenes going imo plenty people I know enjoy coming here for nights out.

As for the nicest place to live how can you beat Bristol and the gurt West Country plenty of nice places in the surrounding area if you know the places but most don't who not lived or known people who have.

On the transfer as has been said I reckon before Burnley came along he'd been playing for us but they are the more attractive club at this time with us only just coming back up them having been in the premiership recently, I don't think it's all about money but that does help when you're trying to attract players of a decent quality when not looking like a good team to further your career.

Hopefully we can get a top quality team together as I reckon SL has his sights set on getting us in the top flight it's just being able to convince these players to join us and show our serious intent on getting to the premiership.

Where do they live then?

historically most players end up in the villages/towns surrounding the training ground, Portishead seems to be commonly preferred town theses days, it's not been uncommon for players to commute from Midlands and going back few years a group who travelled daily from Swindon

historically most players end up in the villages/towns surrounding the training ground, Portishead seems to be commonly preferred town theses days, it's not been uncommon for players to commute from Midlands and going back few years a group who travelled daily from Swindon

Swindon? Swindon??!!!

If the c***s in the media took as little interest in our potential transfer targets as they do when we play a match we might actually sign one of these players without another club muscling in with loadsamoney wages offers.

It's like they think.....Quick Bristol City are trying to buy players. We don't want them to mount a challenge as it won't be good for TV ratings, so lets all talk about how surprised we all are about such a big bid from Bristol and make a big joke of it so that other clubs can scupper the deal and we can keep them out of the limelight and carry on talking about Leeds, Boro, Derby, Nottingham Forest and all of the other more 'fashionable' clubs.

Burnely, Derby, QPR, Hull and a couple other teams are under huge pressure and expectation to get promoted either because they have just been relegated or because they have stacked squads with ridiculous wages.

If Gayle or Gray had come in we would have been in this bracket and anything other than playoffs would have been a failure.

It all depends on the aim for the season. Honestly I think anyone with a cheque book can select a 9mill striker as a signing as it is really the easy way out and so I don't believe this is the philosophy a club who has just gone back up should adopt.

With a total of 10million I believe you could buy 4 to 5 players who can help us become an established championship club and make a strong challenge for the prem in 5 years.

I would have welcomed Gray but I hope this is a blessing in disguise and will make us focus and be realistic with our goals and targets.

In any case Gray is a talent but he is not worth 9mill as I believe Codger will get 18 goals and he was well under that value. I think Gray looked at Danny Ings and thought Burney was the best way to go for his progression and rightly so, Burney have earned it and we have to earn the respect of players by doing things our own way and being successful at it.

Also Gray is Burnley's record signing but the deal/contract is for only 3 years which is odd and suggests to me that this was more at the players request and the non negotiable part - it might have been the reason why he didn't sing with us if we wanted it to be a five year term.

I mean who signs a player for a record fee for only a 3 years contract term these days?

Basically after two seasons if it all goes pear shaped he could hold them at ransom, either give him an improved bumper contract or watch him go.

Archived