IGNORED

Sean Dyche

glastonred

As others have mentioned, he came back too early from injury to play. He was rushed back to compensate for the loss of the influential Shaun Taylor, he had filled a similar role for Chesterfield in their magnificent cup run. He was never fully fit for City and his below par performances reflected that.

The fact he was managerial material is reflected in the fact he was made our club captain. He is a better cook than SC however, coz Andre Gray felt compelled to sign for him after he had cooked a meal for the striker.

I will agree with that some what.  He was outstanding in a Chesterfield side that was unlucky not to get to a cup final as 'third Div side' ?    I recall him having a few nightmares as a central defender with us and  I reckon it was against Wolves at home he was taken off near half time when they were running riot and we got thumped 1.5 ?  Perhaps someone might correct me if I am wrong.  

When he was taken off there were huge 'ironic' cheers from the crowd and i recall feeling sorry for the guy who when in effect he was in a totally inept team ? 

A year or so back i was working in the north of England and was put up in a reasonable hotel outside Blackburn.  Dyche was staying in same hotel and in bar.  I chatted with him for 5 mins, not wanting to be a pain in his butt, but he was a absoulte  gent and quite chuffed me being from Bristol and I remembered him !  I think he had just taken over at Burnley at that time.   I never told him i recalled he was , shall we say, not too good !

( I also read somewhere, in press he had 5 years with us ?  Thats not right is it ! Year at most ?)

Remember 1st game of the season v oxford 98/99 score was 2-2, i think he was at fault for both goals playing them onside and seemed to blame the rest of the team.

Met him once in the players bar and he came across very well, had lots of time to speak to the fans.

Exactly the game I associate with dyche, and buster who had been treating him for the last 6 months came out to defend him. Soren Anderson got 2 for us, but I much preferred akinbiyi.

Exactly the game I associate with dyche, and buster who had been treating him for the last 6 months came out to defend him. Soren Anderson got 2 for us, but I much preferred akinbiyi.

I remember the game as well. What such in my memory was he was at fault for the 2 goals but seemed to blame everyone else.

I do also remember watching that game and thinking this it going to be a tough season and it was. We couldn't defend for toffee. Not having seen any games this season but were there many of you fearing a similar season this year after out leaky start?

Oxford went down with us didn't they that year?

ame="Leveller" post="2347205" timestamp="1440796856"]

Burnley a small club?? FA cup winners, 3 times finalists, 8 times semi finalists, 53 years in the top division of England? Quarter finalists in the European Cup in 1961...won division 1 in 1960.

I'd love for us to be that small!!

Historically they aren't that small but the town of Burnley is quite small in terms of population compared to the rest of the league

For those too young to remember, Shaun Taylor, who Dyche replaced for about 5 months, was the best centre back I've seen play for City. Certainly up there with Norman Hunter. Even the most awkward hard fought header would always find a red shirt and was more prolific in front of goal than Hunter.

Another good season for Flint could see him up there with those two, especially if he gets into double figures goals wise.

Dickie Rooks !

My dad says he was so awful he didn't even realise he'd broken his own leg at one point

I was going to say something related; i don't really remember him playing for us but do remember his name on the team sheet.

I suppose that sort of says it all.

I am sure he must have had a few decent games and that he worked hard.

I don't understand why Jack Connor and Dickie Rooks are mentioned in this thread.

Dyche had a very poor time at City.

Rooks did OK but was in the twilight of his career and AD could not afford better.

Jack Connor was a very good centre half over 8/9 seasons. Bit prone to spectacular own goals but definitely one of our better defenders over the last sixty odd years.

I understand but the original poster called Burnley a small club rather than a small place.

OK, a small town club. The point is, a great history (from an era when Lancashire mill towns were the heart of English football) is not relevant today. Today, a small town club with modest crowds is a small club again. As are we - Bristol is a large city but BCFC is a small club.

If I recall, his defining moment was the opening game if the 98/99 season when he two attempts to clear the ball in our penalty area; the first went straight up in the air and the second he attempted to head it away but it went the opposite way and out for a corner to Oxford.

Cue hoots of derision from City fans and a half time substitution.

He could also be remembered for causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to the away dressing room after City scored two late, late goals to beat Millwall on a Friday night in the 00/01 season.

As others have said, he was very popular and a very good player for every club bar City. Injury did for him unfortunately.

Clearly he's a very good manager too. Although I always thought he took Burnley up on a tiny squad, but I note that they have 42 professionals on their books, so maybe not.

He did and picked the ball out of the net, tucked it under his arm and ran with it to the centre spot, head held high. Like I said Dyche is a top bloke.

No ones doubting he's a top bloke though are they ?

The post above said he was crap and your reply was that he wasn't crap...that's your opinion.

In my opinion, I think he was worse than crap. He was absolutely shocking. Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, the boo's got to him and he became a complete liability to have on the pitch.

Archived