IGNORED

Liam Moore and Nathan Baker: The answers to our defensive crisis

tomhbcfc

Greetings all!

I have just written a piece on how I believe that our two new defensive recruits are going to be the solutions to our defensive issues, which have seen us concede 2 goals or more on each of our home games so far. Please read and give me your opinions on the topics I bring up, and specifically where you think Baker and Moore will fit into the side. I have put my predicted line up at the bottom of the piece.

NOTE: I am just entering year 11 and writing this blog for fun (albeit one day I'd love to work in the sports journalism industry), so any feedback on the writing style is also appreciated. Link here: https://bristolcitytom.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/liam-moore-and-nathan-baker-the-answers-to-our-defensive-struggles/

Thanks,

Tom

Think you're spot on. I for one hope it can maybe push Ayling up next to Smith at times but it's an unknown as to whether he would adapt to it. In theory he would as he's very comfortable on the ball but think he's basically been a RB for most of his career. I could definitely see him in the RWB slot. He lacks the pace but I'm sure Moore is quite quick and could cover him of need be. 

Baker should walk straight into the side as well. I imagine he was the type of player we were looking to buy. 24 and lots of high level experience. So getting him on loan for the season is a big coup for me. If he plays well and we do as well it could open up options in the transfer market for us as these type of players can see what we are about. 

Think the biggest thing is it gives us cover for everyone at the back. It also gives us an option in midfield to move Ayling up if need be. With Reid and Burns playing well, we have plenty of options at the moment. Only thing more we could as for is a proven midfielder and striker. Midfield being most important IMO as Kodjia could easily prove to be one of the best championship strikers whereas I'm not sure we have a second lad that can prove to be a good championship midfielder. So a few questions but I'm alright with giving our lads a shot at proving themselves for the time being. 

Well written (however I didn't check for spelling mistakes ;)) piece there young man, couldn't agree more with your observations/suggestions (bit like stating the obvious to me).

PS Much better job than I could do, and I am about 200 years older than you

Well I do have spell check on when writing so there wont be any... I hope ;)

Greetings all!

I have just written a piece on how I believe that our two new defensive recruits are going to be the solutions to our defensive issues, which have seen us concede 2 goals or more on each of our home games so far. Please read and give me your opinions on the topics I bring up, and specifically where you think Baker and Moore will fit into the side. I have put my predicted line up at the bottom of the piece.

NOTE: I am just entering year 11 and writing this blog for fun (albeit one day I'd love to work in the sports journalism industry), so any feedback on the writing style is also appreciated. Link here: https://bristolcitytom.wordpress.com/2015/09/02/liam-moore-and-nathan-baker-the-answers-to-our-defensive-struggles/

Thanks,

Tom

very good but you must also be made aware Dolly is mine

I'm sure that Cotterill hopes that bringing in two defenders will help tighten up the defence. That said I seriously doubt that he'll start both of them especially with Flint as our main CB. 

What their arrival does is give SC different options and more team flexibility but whether they'll turn out to be the defensive answer remains to seen.

Lets not forget that City are learning and adapting to a better standard of football and we all know that in Championship very few teams have watertight defenses. 

First paragraph which is also one sentence is a bit long-winded, but a nicely written piece.  I used to write the school footie match reports as a kid, and you've written a more articulate piece than I could've at that age.  Nice work!

Re formation and personnel - although it is easy to dismiss Ayling and Williams for their defensive abilities, I think much of the criticism is not necessarily fair.  They are both better defenders than given credit for, but operating in a 352 that can leave the 3 exposed.  You have to look at the balance. By tightening the 3 (say by bringing in Moore and Baker), we may lose out on the footballing abilities that LA and DW bring that are so often the springboard to the start of our attacks....and the way that our wing backs can get into the game in advanced positions.

The 442 of SOD, often (always?) lacked the ability to get beyond passing it along the back line, allowing the opposition to get men behind the ball, before resulting in launching it forward - only to surrender position (think Baldock and JET).  The Aden Flint of 2013 (and early days of SC in 2014), did not look the "fan's hero" he is today.  Ayling and Williams plus the formation / style of play are some of the reasons (and his goal proliferation) why he's now so rated.

im sure SC will be having some interesting thoughts re how the new boys will fit in and when.  The timing of the international break could almost act like a mini pre-season....maybe with a squad in place they should head out to Botswana!!!!

Ok BigTone I will take your word for that then!

RobboRed I do believe you have a good point there, yet I just cant see how two defenders who have Premier League knowledge won't walk into a leaky Championship defence.

Davefevs I did think that when writing that the first paragraph was too long, just didn't really look into cutting it down. I value the point that you make about losing some attacking momentum by taking out Williams and Ayling from CB, but I'd much rather have a stronger defence which I feel we will with Moore and Baker, as opposed to good threat going forward from the back, but being cut open and exposed too easily as we were before with Ayling + Williams.

I'm sure that Cotterill hopes that bringing in two defenders will help tighten up the defence. That said I seriously doubt that he'll start both of them especially with Flint as our main CB. 

What their arrival does is give SC different options and more team flexibility but whether they'll turn out to be the defensive answer remains to seen.

Lets not forget that City are learning and adapting to a better standard of football and we all know that in Championship very few teams have watertight defenses. 

I'd be absolutely amazed if they don't both start at Birmingham.

First paragraph which is also one sentence is a bit long-winded, but a nicely written piece.  I used to write the school footie match reports as a kid, and you've written a more articulate piece than I could've at that age.  Nice work!

Re formation and personnel - although it is easy to dismiss Ayling and Williams for their defensive abilities, I think much of the criticism is not necessarily fair.  They are both better defenders than given credit for, but operating in a 352 that can leave the 3 exposed.  You have to look at the balance. By tightening the 3 (say by bringing in Moore and Baker), we may lose out on the footballing abilities that LA and DW bring that are so often the springboard to the start of our attacks....and the way that our wing backs can get into the game in advanced positions.

The 442 of SOD, often (always?) lacked the ability to get beyond passing it along the back line, allowing the opposition to get men behind the ball, before resulting in launching it forward - only to surrender position (think Baldock and JET).  The Aden Flint of 2013 (and early days of SC in 2014), did not look the "fan's hero" he is today.  Ayling and Williams plus the formation / style of play are some of the reasons (and his goal proliferation) why he's now so rated.

im sure SC will be having some interesting thoughts re how the new boys will fit in and when.  The timing of the international break could almost act like a mini pre-season....maybe with a squad in place they should head out to Botswana!!!!

Haven't Moore and Baker both played at fullback quite a bit in the past? I would have thought that they are both decent with the ball at their feet and Cotts probably looked into this when he was after them.

Haven't Moore and Baker both played at fullback quite a bit in the past? I would have thought that they are both decent with the ball at their feet and Cotts probably looked into this when he was after them.

i believe both have played fullback, but don't know if "quite a bit" is true. I'm not saying it isn't, just don't know.  There has been a lot of talk that LA played in midfield a lot for YTFC, although someone else said twice!!

also, there's "decent with the ball of their feet" and there's Ayling.....who is several notches better than decent!!!

if I was a betting man, I'd put money on NB replacing DW vs Brum, but only bet on LM replacing LA, if LA replaces ML or MP.  just cannot see LA not in starting eleven.

In place of who?

I doubt it would be Flint. Ayling may possibly move into midfield with possibly Williams relegated to the bench. That's the only possible changes that I can see.

Well, Little is patently not fit, so I expect Ayling to move across and Williams to drop out meaning Moore, Flint and Baker start as our 3 CBs.

Well, Little is patently not fit, so I expect Ayling to move across and Williams to drop out meaning Moore, Flint and Baker start as our 3 CBs.

That would work - but I'd question the wisdom of starting a game with three blokes in the backline who've never played together. I think it'll be phased in. That seems to be Cotterill's way.

That would work - but I'd question the wisdom of starting a game with three blokes in the backline who've never played together. I think it'll be phased in. That seems to be Cotterill's way.

We signed them in the longest gap between games all season. I'd guess that is what we'll be working on next week.

Archived