IGNORED

Bristol Sport - why the criticism?

Robbored

Well they've managed to lose over a thousand rugby fans in 12 months with their naive pricing structure.

Time will tell if mistakes are learned from, and I'm still cautiously optimistic Bristol Sport will be a good thing for both clubs.

£210 atyeo £235 south stand adult season ticket for rugby. Roughly £14/15 game ... Hardly naive pricing structure

£32 to watch second-tier rugby is incredibly expensive so I'm not surprised if some people are priced out of watching. 

exaggerated qoute. You have given the top adult price ticket to make Bristol sport look bad. £210-£235 for a rugby season ticket £15 a game... But that doesn't sound as good does it or get you many likes from your anti Bristol sport brigade

The crowd yesterday was lower than any game last season.

So yes, naive pricing structure and I fully expect it to be lower again against Nottingham.

its not a naive pricing structure, when we were in league 1 and struggling we would regularly have 10,000 plus empty seats . Still yesterdays crowd was disappointing but it will still be top end of championship rugby attendances

...but you can watch Bristol Rugby for a lot cheaper than that can't you...why have you chosen just to highlight the most expensive option?

because hes hoping most people just except the headline at face value but most people see through his sensationalist views on Bristol sport!

Must admit I have no problem with BS. It is what it is and does not impact my thoughts on the identify of my football team Bristol City.  In 1982 if you would have told me where we would be now I would have taken it.

In respect of those who have a concern over fan consultation with things such as away fans location next year, I appreciate this may be different for them but that may be because I come from a period where we were never consulted anyway and wouldn't expect it.

As with all of these debates, each to their own.

COYRs!!!

I understand the apprehension of some but some of the paranoia is remarkable. It seems that some are willing it to fail so they can say they told us so. It seems to fit in with the "against Modern football" fad which in the main is rubbish. 

People are quick to demonise the Bristol Sport hierarchy but who is their boss? The same guy whose idea this was, the same guy who has backed the club to the hilt for decades now. SL has his hand on the tiler albeit from a distance.

Look at the debacle across the bridge and at Hull. Foreign investors who were welcomed with open arms  when fans saw them splash the cash then suddenly they are changing the kit colour ( which again a majority of fans still swallowed without a fight so my sympathy is lessened) & trying to alter the clubs name. Who would people trust more to run our club? Lansdown or a Tan/Allam? 

The BS logo is prevalent because sponsors are (largely) paying to sponsor the BS stable, thus increasing the investment. If it wasn't for the advent of FFP I don't think this would of happened & of all the clubs involved I think we benefit the most. 

The last 12 months for the Rugby club must be a blur. They must have the same uneasy feeling about BS as many City fans do plus they have left their home, moved across the City & play in a stadium of red (one of their arch rivals colours). If we had to do that then I would have been one of the decenting voices. Having said that I think most Rugby fans realise it was needed to push the club forward. 

This last transfer window showed that in many ways we have a distinct disadvantage over most clubs at this level. It's only right we try to press home the advantages this set up gives us. 

As for the Gas, well it just fits in with their woe is me exsistance. They of course will claim the higher ground but don't believe for a second they wouldn't swap with us in a heartbeat. Don't forget they were quick to pour scorn over our potential "out of town" (yeah, I know 1/2 a mile down the road) brand new stadium citing that staying  & doing up their spiritual home ( honestly, they've had more homes than Rightmove)  was the way to go. Now they are crying into their Sainsburys own semi skimmed milk at the thought that their out of town flat pack, identikit, shoebox has gone down the river leaving them stranded in a run down shithole without their major income provider, spiralling debt, incompetent board and all major companies looking to sponsor sport heading to BS3. They are dyeing club, unwilling/unable to move with the times. "i'd rather go bust than be in bed with Bristol Sport" Really, well just like when they boasted about never playing in the bottom tier & laughing at our failure to build a new stadium, they might just get whats coming to them!  Don't believe their bollocks.

Who knows if the experiment will work long term. Certainly there needs to be improvements and lessons learned by Bristol Sport so far. Unlike some, i'm willing to give it a chance.

Underlying the Bristol Sport issue is the fact that there are still City fans, who for some reason, smell conspiracy with everything that SL does.

I may be naive, but it seems to me that SL sees Bristol City as a lifetime project to secure the long term future of the club and create a legacy ( almost certainly to stay within the Lansdowne family). He has made mistakes along the way but I am convinced that all he does is genuinely in the interests of the club and despite all the setbacks he seems as committed as ever ( some would say wanting to plough money into BCFC he should be committed!).

It seems that he has seen the Barcelona type model and realises the opportunity to benefit sport in Bristol on a wider basis and has formed the Bristol Sport umbrella. Once again, it seems to me that this is because there will be commercial benefits for doing this that will  term benefit both BCFC and Bristol Rugby in the longer term. Again, conspiracy theorists will no doubt see sinister reasons for doing this, but unless SL has suddenly decided that he can make a fortune by selling the whole shooting match off in the not too distant future, then I can't.

The only criticism could be that there could have been more and better communication, so that fans can better understand the reasoning behind the formation of Bristol Sport and how it fits with BCFC and Bristol Rugby, but if there was not something to moan about  then we would really have something to worry about.

Downend, I'm no Bristol Sport cynic and like you I have the same thoughts about SL being benevolent and highly unlikely to leave us cut and dry (in our lifetime anyway).

However at the same time you rightly acknowledge not much has been told to fans about how this works operationally. I don't think skepticism, cynicism or whatever is necessarily unreasonable on the part of some fans. But like you I recko it's simply not a concern of mine. 

Downend, I'm no Bristol Sport cynic and like you I have the same thoughts about SL being benevolent and highly unlikely to leave us cut and dry (in our lifetime anyway).

However at the same time you rightly acknowledge not much has been told to fans about how this works operationally. I don't think skepticism, cynicism or whatever is necessarily unreasonable on the part of some fans. But like you I recko it's simply not a concern of mine. 

cynicism and skepticism is unreasonable really as at the end of the day as fans we have choices. I choose to support Bristol city fc, that doesn't give me a right to go through every single decision made by the club. My season ticket entities me to support the team... End of .. Good or bad. I get fed up listening to fans who think just because they pay for a ticket to watch city they should be involved in every decision the club makes!! Bristol city in my opinion goes above and beyond to listen to a tiny minority. Great example is this seasons unreserved area in the atyeo. And it back fires when so far its been nothing short of embarrassing for everyone associated with the club. To allow a unreserved seating allocation the club had to take a hit on how many people are allowed in( affecting revenue ) and are repaid by fans fighting each other and running on to celebrate. End of the day if you don't like it don't come and watch

cynicism and skepticism is unreasonable really as at the end of the day as fans we have choices. I choose to support Bristol city fc, that doesn't give me a right to go through every single decision made by the club. My season ticket entities me to support the team... End of .. Good or bad. I get fed up listening to fans who think just because they pay for a ticket to watch city they should be involved in every decision the club makes!! Bristol city in my opinion goes above and beyond to listen to a tiny minority. Great example is this seasons unreserved area in the atyeo. And it back fires when so far its been nothing short of embarrassing for everyone associated with the club. To allow a unreserved seating allocation the club had to take a hit on how many people are allowed in( affecting revenue ) and are repaid by fans fighting each other and running on to celebrate. End of the day if you don't like it don't come and watch

I agree wholeheartedly re the Ateyo. 

Not sure I agree with the opening part however. We can all be participators and a solid fan group looking out for the best interests of the club is mightily important. Pacifism even blind faith I cannot agree is ever a good thing so I think a strong fans voice in check is a good thing and something I would not discourage or say is not a fans' right. After all BCFC is far bigger than the incumbents and thankfully (IMO) we have a supporters trust.

Not sure if you're addressing many of your other points at me or generally but for the avoidance of doubt Bristol Sport is not something I have a problem with or concerns me whatsoever. And I agree that the club is much stronger on fan engagement. Funny enough whilst transitioning to Bristol Sport. Coincidence or not tbc. 

Well they've managed to lose over a thousand rugby fans in 12 months with their naive pricing structure.

Time will tell if mistakes are learned from, and I'm still cautiously optimistic Bristol Sport will be a good thing for both clubs.

Possibly ticket prices have a bearing, but perhaps the lower attendance is due to Bristol Rugby's significant failure to convert finishing top of the League by not winning promotion in the ridiculous play off system.

Many die hard Bris fans have said on forums that they will wait until the play offs before they turn out to see their club.

cynicism and skepticism is unreasonable really as at the end of the day as fans we have choices. I choose to support Bristol city fc, that doesn't give me a right to go through every single decision made by the club. 

Fans should be able to question decisions that affect them. Bristol City football club exists because of its fans. No fans, no club.

I agree wholeheartedly re the Ateyo. 

Not sure I agree with the opening part however. We can all be participators and a solid fan group looking out for the best interests of the club is mightily important. Pacifism even blind faith I cannot agree is ever a good thing so I think a strong fans voice in check is a good thing and something I would not discourage or say is not a fans' right. After all BCFC is far bigger than the incumbents and thankfully (IMO) we have a supporters trust.

Not sure if you're addressing many of your other points at me or generally but for the avoidance of doubt Bristol Sport is not something I have a problem with or concerns me whatsoever. And I agree that the club is much stronger on fan engagement. Funny enough whilst transitioning to Bristol Sport. Coincidence or not tbc. 

not directed at you just in general

Fans should be able to question decisions that affect them. Bristol City football club exists because of its fans. No fans, no club.

works both ways no club no fans. Fan power cant run and shouldn't run the club. We all know as fans we would make decisions with are hearts and not our heads. Agreed there needs to be some input by fans but in my opinion it is not as important as some think it is. For me football is everything, I work hard all week ready to watch city home and away, its a break from everyday life. Supporting my local team is a must enjoying this with my dad adds to that. My wife on the other hand ain't so happy. But getting back to the point lets not all worry about the politics of do we support Bristol sport or not?? Lets just enjoy the football. just seems lots of people are overthinking the Bristol sport issue.

see nothing wrong with it have to say have haven't noticed the all the Bristol sport logo's at the gate as I'm normally waiting in a queue for a beer or watching the team on the pitch

just the same old anti everything brigade scare mongering again that's all

exaggerated qoute. You have given the top adult price ticket to make Bristol sport look bad. £210-£235 for a rugby season ticket £15 a game... But that doesn't sound as good does it or get you many likes from your anti Bristol sport brigade

With the greatest of respect, Spoons, I was only quoting the price I was told that my ticket for the Dolman would've cost me had I paid for it (I got it free as a City ST Holder). I've not got an in-depth knowledge of the pricing structure for the Rugby (I have only ever been twice) or the Football as it goes (I've had the same seat for 18yrs as an ST Holder) but 2nd tier football is a much better "product" than 2nd tier rugby, where the likes of Ealing, Jersey & Bedford are in the same (much smaller) league as Bristol. 

At no point have I ever suggested that I'm anything other than pro Bristol Sport. I "get" what it's there to do and am all for it, as it goes. I was merely, maybe misguidedly, suggesting that £32 IS a lot to pay for the Rugby. 

I've seen a few people talk about the Atyeo "minority". It's not a case of the Atyeo group and then everyone else. It's just different groups of supporters, what about the community corner? That's even less people than in the Atyeo!

I disagree that the club have gone above and beyond to listen to the Atyeo group, if they'd really listened to them then there'd have been a proper "end" build into the AG redesign. As it stands they have had to make do with compromises throughout whilst other groups have had purpose built solutions.

works both ways no club no fans. Fan power cant run and shouldn't run the club. We all know as fans we would make decisions with are hearts and not our heads. Agreed there needs to be some input by fans but in my opinion it is not as important as some think it is. For me football is everything, I work hard all week ready to watch city home and away, its a break from everyday life. Supporting my local team is a must enjoying this with my dad adds to that. My wife on the other hand ain't so happy. But getting back to the point lets not all worry about the politics of do we support Bristol sport or not?? Lets just enjoy the football. just seems lots of people are overthinking the Bristol sport issue.

Your earlier post indicated something very different. Decisions Bristol sport make and will be making should be open to scrutiny.

Enquiring what process and how fans will be included in deciding where the away fans will be located, is not over thinking Bristol Sports role, or wanting to run the club - It is an area that directly affects us, or some of us. Your earlier post indicated that fans should act more as indolent consumers v fans,

The above including fans, all fans who could be affected should be occurring already in an effort to avoid another scenario after eighteen months [?] of consultation, which suddenly led to "The South stand can't now have a unreserved / singing section due to reduced capacity, and being dangerously steep!  

I've seen a few people talk about the Atyeo "minority". It's not a case of the Atyeo group and then everyone else. It's just different groups of supporters, what about the community corner? That's even less people than in the Atyeo!

I disagree that the club have gone above and beyond to listen to the Atyeo group, if they'd really listened to them then there'd have been a proper "end" build into the AG redesign. As it stands they have had to make do with compromises throughout whilst other groups have had purpose built solutions.

I'm sure long term the idea will be knock down and rebuild the atyeo so it will complete the stadium in sure this will end up being the 'end' people seem to be craving??. Having said That people need to change adapt to new things. Fans included, the idea that the fans in the atyeo have been forgotten about is quite laughable. They like us have the choice to sit in any of the proposed 22,000 seats that will be available. Why they want and expect there own 'section' is a question I'm not quite sure on? Been a season ticket holder for years and have followed England home/away and I can tell you from experience that the singing section at Wembley doesn't work and the best atmosphere in games is when fans come together rather than section people off into certain sections or stands.

The current situation is a compromise from both sides; BS lose revenue by selling fewer seats, the fans who want to stand (something technically illegal) can do so, wave flags, etc.

Often 'really listening' seems to mean more like 'do everything we say' in reality.

With the greatest of respect, Spoons, I was only quoting the price I was told that my ticket for the Dolman would've cost me had I paid for it (I got it free as a City ST Holder). I've not got an in-depth knowledge of the pricing structure for the Rugby (I have only ever been twice) or the Football as it goes (I've had the same seat for 18yrs as an ST Holder) but 2nd tier football is a much better "product" than 2nd tier rugby, where the likes of Ealing, Jersey & Bedford are in the same (much smaller) league as Bristol. 

At no point have I ever suggested that I'm anything other than pro Bristol Sport. I "get" what it's there to do and am all for it, as it goes. I was merely, maybe misguidedly, suggesting that £32 IS a lot to pay for the Rugby. 

understand, but if people read that and went away with every ticket is £32 Tha isn't fair. Its the most expensive ticket of the whole pricing structure for football / rugby. Like you I should know as I also have sat in central dolman for many years.

My understanding is that Bristol Sport essentially provide financial support for all the different sports under their umbrella. Many Gasheads are pissed right off that they aren't under said umbrella.

What's the problem with having a body that overseas so many sports in the same city? 

I think the main reason is that the branding is so prevalent.  In itself, the brand is meaningless and without history.

I would ask whether there is even a need for an umbrella name which has to be so visible, as opposed to an umbrella organisation (which I agree can be beneficial).  Many companies are owned by holdings or venture capitalists, but you don't see or hear their names - there's no need or desire for it.

Bristol Sport smacks of suits and business and as a brand is soulless.  The only 'brand' I'm interested in is Bristol City Football Club.

Anybody go to a consultation and meet BS face to face? Polite people but they know next to nothing about Bristol City and its fans. At one consultation fans told the head to stop calling Bristol City a brand and use its name BRISTOL CITY because its more than just a brand. And there is a obvious cause of annoyance and for some offence if you think Bristol City is just a brand you will find it easy to think little of its history and fan culture.

Bristol sport will be very good at getting corporate money into the club but when asked about atmosphere tradition identity they dont have much to say but have virtually all the say in how those points will go. Bristol Sport does smack of suits and business and as a brand it does;look soulless as Cotswold red points out. Well sorry but City should be aiming higher than being the next bland corporate entity fc.

Anybody go to a consultation and meet BS face to face? Polite people but they know next to nothing about Bristol City and its fans. At one consultation fans told the head to stop calling Bristol City a brand and use its name BRISTOL CITY because its more than just a brand. And there is a obvious cause of annoyance and for some offence if you think Bristol City is just a brand you will find it easy to think little of its history and fan culture.

Bristol sport will be very good at getting corporate money into the club but when asked about atmosphere tradition identity they dont have much to say but have virtually all the say in how those points will go. Bristol Sport does smack of suits and business and as a brand it does;look soulless as Cotswold red points out. Well sorry but City should be aiming higher than being the next bland corporate entity fc.

I really do thing the people who are offended/ annoyed with Bristol sport calling Bristol city a 'brand' are a very small minority. Its a excuse to blame poor atmosphere on Bristol sport. Start looking closer to home. No I haven't been to a consultation but its stating the obvious that marketing people wear suits and use the word 'brand'.

Disagree spoons I think that the majority of City fans would be offended by Bristol Sport calling Bristol City a brand rather than Bristol City or a football club as fans did at one of the consultaions.

people who pay the bills can call it what they want. To the fans it will always be Bristol city fc. I'm just not bothered by or understand all the fuss.

Archived