IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

16 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

End of the day it doesn’t matter what anyone’s opinion is of bellew inside or outside the ring he would never duck a challenge and being a limited fighter as he admits then I for one doff my cap

He first came to my attention when he was brought in as a late replacement to fight Nathan Cleverly. He actually missed the weight and the fight it turned out, but I'll never forget the traditional Scouse challenge he issued to Clev after a perceived slight at the hastily convened presser. I think it went something like: 'ey are ya ****** blurt let's ****** av it ****** now'

edit- what a picture this is

image.thumb.png.92996b363f7129729b422e7d33442b00.png

Edited by Stortz

Having not heard of Usyk until the last 6 months (I believe the cruiserweight division goes a little unnoticed), I must say how much I enjoyed the build up to the fight and seeing the type of guy Usyk is.

Given what he has achieved in such a short space of time he comes across as being so humble and genuine. Not like Joshua who has just been very well media trained! 

As much as I wanted Bellew to win originally I had swayed towards Usyk over the last week or so. Even I front of the cameras during his training Usyk was singing and dancing, just such a likeable guy.

Really hope he steps up to heavyweight successfully. Would like to see him start with Whyte.

As for the fight, brave effort from Bellew. Can’t believe he was ahead on the score cards past round 4 but thanksfully it didn’t matter and there was no controversy in what was a great fight.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

Good to see Bellow call it a day he has had a very good career and deserves a lot of praise. Hopefully see him join the skysports boxing team although i cant think of who he should replace......

He’s pretty much there most fights anyway with sky sports so I think it’s a given.

It’s another thing to admire about Bellew... Whether it’s the biggest fight of the year or a NXT GEN with people starting off on their careers, he is always there and passionate about the sport.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

I’d have loved to have seen Haye - in his absolute Cruiseweight Prime - v Usyk. That’d been something. 

So what next, up to Heavyweight?  Presume he’ll have to be at least 230-235lb. Will that slow him up a bit?  Certainly going to makes things interesting 

He's brilliant to watch but will need clever match-making at heavyweight. The likes of Joshua and Fury are just too big for him. They mention that he won Olympic gold as a heavyweight while failing to note that there's also a super-heavyweight division at that level, won of course by Joshua. 

There is nothing left for him at cruiserweight, I've never seen a division so comprehensively cleaned out by a fighter. A Parker fight would be a great one for him, very winnable.

Yeah think it'll be Ward, really hope it isn't Price, like the guy but it'd be conning the public asking people to pay to watch those two. If Klitschko has ruled himself out then I'm not sure who else it could be? Usky definitely wants a break. 

The term 'willcard' does leave it possible that it could be someone ridiculous like Allen or Miller though I suppose. 

16 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Pretty sure Hearn said on IFL that he wants a break till March/April. No way will he want to fight five times in 12 months. The year he’s had he needs a rest I’d say. 

Ward would be interesting but I just think he’d have to stack on the pounds. 

I’m not saying the timeframe isn’t short, but Eddies got to sell 80/90k tickets. He needs a big fight to sell.  I’m not sure Ward will fancy the step up. They clearly see Usyk as stepping up to heavyweight  , maybe it’s worth the risk yo Usyk 

I think Wilder v AJ is a long way off  for whatever reason. 

No chance Usyk will fight for a title in his first hw fight, even if he hadn't clearly stated he's taking a few months off.

I can't see any of the sanctioning bodies doing any of the political contortions they'd have to to get Ward recognised as legitimate even for a voluntary and he has shown zero inclination to leave the US to fight at the top of his game, let alone coming back from such a lay off.

No way will it be Price or Allen, Eddie struggled to get 75k at Wembley for Povetkin, no-one will buy tickets or ppv for that.

Tbh I think this is Hearn just trying to keep the April Wembley fight relevant and in the news, bacause we all know Whyte is guaranteed the shot as long as he beats Del- unless Wilder spanks Fury into retirement and his team get a sudden dose of financial realism. Speaking of which, they have apparently shifted less than 8k tickets for the Staples Centre on 01/12 thus far.

17 hours ago, Stortz said:

No chance Usyk will fight for a title in his first hw fight, even if he hadn't clearly stated he's taking a few months off.

I can't see any of the sanctioning bodies doing any of the political contortions they'd have to to get Ward recognised as legitimate even for a voluntary and he has shown zero inclination to leave the US to fight at the top of his game, let alone coming back from such a lay off.

No way will it be Price or Allen, Eddie struggled to get 75k at Wembley for Povetkin, no-one will buy tickets or ppv for that.

Tbh I think this is Hearn just trying to keep the April Wembley fight relevant and in the news, bacause we all know Whyte is guaranteed the shot as long as he beats Del- unless Wilder spanks Fury into retirement and his team get a sudden dose of financial realism. Speaking of which, they have apparently shifted less than 8k tickets for the Staples Centre on 01/12 thus far.

17 hours ago, Stortz said:

I will be at the Staples, travelling from Australia. I've read less than 8k yet today I read that more tickets have been released due to overwhelming response. I still tend to think the Staples may be full come fight night. 

Edited by AirlieBeachRed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AirlieBeachRed said:

I will be at the Staples, travelling from Australia. I've read less than 8k yet today I read that more tickets have been released due to overwhelming response. I still tend to think the Staples may be full come fight night. 

Yeah no doubt it'll be pretty much full on fight night, it's that just the hit the promotion will take for reducing ticket prices in the last few days makes some of the crazy pre fight numbers Wilder and co were banding about look pretty daft!

I know they have to talk it up, but Deontay was claiming they would get 2.5 million ppvs the other day haha.

• Like 1

Wilder vs Fury fight card

Deontay Wilder vs Tyson Fury (WBC heavyweight title fight)

Jarrett Hurd vs Jason Wellborn

Luis Ortiz vs Travis Kauffman

Joe Joyce vs Joe Hanks

Mark Anthony Barriga vs Carlos Licona

Chris Arreola vs Maurenzo Smith

Isaac Lowe vs TBC

Anthony Yarde vs TBC

Marsellos Wilder vs TBC

Jesse Rodriguez vs Alex Aragon

4 hours ago, TomF said:

The closer it’s got the more my mind is swaying. Tyson looks in good shape and he’s certainly knuckled down, also has been training at Freddie Roaches gym - that’s some bloke to have in your corner 

You can't knock the commitment Tyson's shown to get back into that shape from where he was.

I want him to shut Wilder up so much, but there's a serious doubt about his stamina after what his body has been through in the last few years. Sure he looks great now but we've seen coutless times how fighters who haven't lived the life get found out in the latter stages of fights, and there's no way a two year piss up and eat-a-thon with shovel loads of gak can be good for your cardio!

I wonder if @AirlieBeachRed has any updates from LA for us yet? Are you attending the weigh in tomorrow mate?