IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Stipulation added into their contract that either boxer causes this fight to not take place on this date they get a $10m (£7.9m) fine 

That is a rubbish clause by the way,it means that let’s say USYK or fury pick up a real injury this time then they will still fight and pick up 10x the fine while not being in fighting shape 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

• Admin
35 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

That is a rubbish clause by the way,it means that let’s say USYK or fury pick up a real injury this time then they will still fight and pick up 10x the fine while not being in fighting shape 

To be honest we know what it's there for, the Saudis are clearly as fed up as everyone else 

I noticed that the WWE promos have conveniently started this time too 

On 06/01/2024 at 17:22, petehinton said:

Say what you will about AJ, but at least he’s extremely active. Thats all fans want, at the end of the day. What’ll that be, 3 fights in 9 months? 

Fury ‘the greatest ever’ lucky to get one fight a year out of. 

If you could bet on it, I’d be lumping on him to pull out of the Usyk fight too. 

If only there was a betting market for moving/cancelling fights!

• Flames 1

18 hours ago, phantom said:

All well and good against a 10-13 opponent eh haha.

I don't hate the showboating, but someone with a pulse would be a step up.

No idea why the ref was telling Whittaker off about it though- he's there to enforce the rules, not his personal opinion on pisstaking.

Edited by Stortz

49 minutes ago, Stortz said:

All well and good against a 10-13 opponent eh haha.

I don't hate the showboating, but someone with a pulse would be a step up.

No idea why the ref was telling Whittaker off about it though- he's there to enforce the rules, not his personal opinion on pisstaking.

The rules are very wide ranging and include "unsporting conduct" which is up to the discretion of the ref. I think the ref's particular issue was with him turning away from his opponent which I guess could be deemed dangerous for him too as "not protecting himself at all times". 

Like you, I don't mind the showboating tho. 

43 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The rules are very wide ranging and include "unsporting conduct" which is up to the discretion of the ref. I think the ref's particular issue was with him turning away from his opponent which I guess could be deemed dangerous for him too as "not protecting himself at all times". 

Like you, I don't mind the showboating tho. 

They're also different per sanctioning body, to muddy the waters further.

I could completely understand the issue the ref had with Whittaker turning his back, but many of the other calls he made seemed to be more based on him personally objecting to the showboating.

Whittaker wasn't fouling or seeking to gain an advantage other than through his own skill and got talked to 5 or 6 times- yet refs are happy to watch fighters lie all over each other and hold with barely a comment.

Whittaker is already one of those fighter as many people will watch hoping he comes a cropper than showcases his skills- and that's a profitable place for him to be, so I don't reckon he'll care which!

Just to pass on some very sad news to those on the boxing thread , some will know already but for those who don’t @B1ackbird has sadly passed away after an illness recently. Very sad and obviously thoughts are with his partner, family and friends. 

He loved his Bristol city but also very much his boxing. Had many a night at muckers house watching boxing, few to many beers and poker. Will be sadly missed. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Robin 2

14 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Just to pass on some very sad news to those on the boxing thread , some will know already but for those who don’t @B1ackbird has sadly passed away after an illness recently. Very sad and obviously thoughts are with his partner, family and friends. 

He loved his Bristol city but also very much his boxing. Had many a night at muckers house watching boxing, few to many beers and poker. Will be sadly missed. 

Oh, that is sad.

I never knew @B1ackbird, but used to enjoy his posts on this thread.

I always thought of him as being in his 30/40s, so will think of him as a young man gone too soon.

Just now, PHILINFRANCE said:

Oh, that is sad.

I never knew @B1ackbird, but used to enjoy his posts on this thread.

I always thought of him as being in his 30/40s, so will think of him as a young man gone too soon.

He would have loved this ! He’s left us in his early 60’s .

Still far too young. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Thanks for letting us know and thoughts with all friends and family.

Rest in peace, @B1ackbird.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Spoons said:

Hi @Spoons, thanks for passing on this sad news. Sorry for your loss.

I only knew @B1ackbird through this thread and it was clear he had health issues, but they never seemed to get him down and he was always the optimist. It was like checking in with an old mate chatting boxing with him on here.

RIP @B1ackbird, I'll miss sharing the moans when the big fights fell through, disbelief at some of the shocking decisions- but most of all the laughs over the years.

Light to his family and friends.

• Like 2

Yes, I will be. Certainly carries more jeopardy for AJ now after Ngannou's performance v Fury.

Think Zhang will have too much for Parker.

My usual moan; why are the fights on so late? About 2am time Saudi and 11.30pm UK. If they want to increase the popularity of boxing then make it make sense. 

• Like 1