IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

Today the WBO ruled that Jeff Horn did beat Pacquiao.

Following an appeal from PacMan's camp, they had 5 professional and netural judges watch the fight with no sound. 3 of the 5 awarded Horn the victory.

Don't get me wrong, a close fight and good contest, but how Pacquiao lost that I'll never know. Horn was throwing (and was very aggressive) but actually landed very little.

So lat night was the first Mayweather v McGregor press conference and it looks like there's going to be a full week of these until the fighters break to go back to training camps next week.

I watched the thing in full and got to say, I admire McGregor. He got into Floyds head and oozes confidence (even though it is ultimately futile). I would certainly say McGregor 'won' the first presser, firing jibes at Floyd's clothing ("He's wearing a ****ing tracksuit") to broke jibes out his IRS tax bill. Mayweather genuinely looked annoyed at uneasy at times so could be an interesting week.

59 minutes ago, SARJ said:

So lat night was the first Mayweather v McGregor press conference and it looks like there's going to be a full week of these until the fighters break to go back to training camps next week.

I watched the thing in full and got to say, I admire McGregor. He got into Floyds head and oozes confidence (even though it is ultimately futile). I would certainly say McGregor 'won' the first presser, firing jibes at Floyd's clothing ("He's wearing a ****ing tracksuit") to broke jibes out his IRS tax bill. Mayweather genuinely looked annoyed at uneasy at times so could be an interesting week.

Be interesting to see how much this is going to cost to watch.

6 hours ago, Super said:

Be interesting to see how much this is going to cost to watch.

£14.99- £19.99 I'd guess, depending who carries it here. It'll be a 5am start which will limit the crossover potential it would otherwise have had.

In the U.S it's $89.99 for SD and $99.99 for HD!

3 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Notice its gone quiet on Tyson lately.. 

He's exhausted after his gruelling 2 day camp with BIlly Joe Saunders in Marbs in May, and recovering in Morecombe on the 3 whole Boar and chips a day diet.

6 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Immature, but I had to laugh at McGregor's suit:

If you wore it swimming you'd keep getting rescued...

:blink:

Eubank and Lee Selby on Saturday, Mayweather v McGregor and Canello v GGG. Three PPV events coming up.

Whats everyone looking forward to?

Another Mayweather v McGergor press conference last night, this time from Toronto.

Highly entertaining, well worth a watch IMO. McGregor is verbally tearing Mayweather to pieces lately. Granted he stands no chance in the fight itself, but for pre-fight antics, mind games and confidence, you got to admire the guy, certainly believes in himself and has riled Mayweather up.

I was especially happy to see him rip into Mayweather's clothing. The whole 'hip-hop' culture is embarrassing with snap back hats, over sized trainers, baggy jeans etc. McGregor looked dapper in his suit whereas 40 yr old Floyd looked a little bit embarrassing. 

Enjoying the Mayweather McGregor press conferences.

No chance i'm paying to watch it though, hopefully find a good stream or somewhere open late showing it.

Bit surprised by how many people saying how fantastic McGregor's trash talk is - I think it's pretty average. Entirely predictable what he's going to say - just lots of '**** off' and 'you'll do nuttin'.

Thought Mayweather put him in an awkward spot telling him to bet the purse on the fight - hope he does.

I can't help but feel that it is totally contrived and WWE though. I don't think there's genuine dislike between the fighters and there's clearly a clause in the contract that neither of them can make physical contact of any sort with each other at the pressers. Just doesn't feel like there's genuine hatred there like you sometimes find in boxing or MMA.

Still fun though.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No chance i'm paying to watch it though, hopefully find a good stream or somewhere open late showing it.

Bit surprised by how many people saying how fantastic McGregor's trash talk is - I think it's pretty average. Entirely predictable what he's going to say - just lots of '**** off' and 'you'll do nuttin'.

Thought Mayweather put him in an awkward spot telling him to bet the purse on the fight - hope he does.

I can't help but feel that it is totally contrived and WWE though. I don't think there's genuine dislike between the fighters and there's clearly a clause in the contract that neither of them can make physical contact of any sort with each other at the pressers. Just doesn't feel like there's genuine hatred there like you sometimes find in boxing or MMA.

Still fun though.

CM is only there for the money not a chance he actually believes he is going to win so he won't be betting anything.

1 hour ago, Super said:

CM is only there for the money not a chance he actually believes he is going to win so he won't be betting anything.

I'm not so sure, the glory if he won and the riches that come with it means he will force himself to believe it's possible. 

Everyone knows it's a huge ask, but to have the level of self belief he has means he won't actually think he'll lose.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Still fun though.

Couldn't agree more mate, it seems massively contrived to me, they're both just playing up to their usual roles. Compared to something like the build up to Whyte Chisora it's kids' stuff.

McGregor is the greatest salesman in the history of sport, he's really convincing people he has a chance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Still fun though.

Agree with this PF, you can pretty much see Mayweather counting the money as Conor struts around slagging off his clothes and calling him all the names under the sun.

I do genuinely believe Floyd is pissed off though. Showtime did everything to make this tour difficult for Conor and it's all back fired by the simple fact every single crowd is in Conors favour. All of them. It'll only get worse too, the way that Floyd turned against the crowd was interesting last night.

None of it will make a difference on fight night but

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stortz said:

Couldn't agree more mate, it seems massively contrived to me, they're both just playing up to their usual roles. Compared to something like the build up to Whyte Chisora it's kids' stuff.

McGregor is the greatest salesman in the history of sport, he's really convincing people he has a chance.

54 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Agree with this PF, you can pretty much see Mayweather counting the money as Conor struts around slagging off his clothes and calling him all the names under the sun.

Agree with you both - they're both going to cash out from this fight. It's good fun but doesn't feel genuine. If there was genuine dislike they wouldn't be able to get within a couple of inches of eachother screaming in eachother's faces without physical contact - whether it's written in the contract or not.

46 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

I do genuinely believe Floyd is pissed off though. Showtime did everything to make this tour difficult for Conor and it's all back fired by the simple fact every single crowd is in Conors favour. All of them. It'll only get worse too, the way that Floyd turned against the crowd was interesting last night.

None of it will make a difference on fight night but

Don't think he is, he's just in character. I watched him being interviewed by Paulie Malignaggi etc on that panel after last night's conference and he was cool as anything. Let the mask slip that it's all a complete act I thought.

Floyd wouldn't be bothered by the crowd, only that Showtime exec was when they gave him stick! Reckon the conferences in Brooklyn and London will have a great atmosphere. They should have added one in Dublin. Surprised they didn't actually.