IGNORED

The Boxing Thread

joe jordans teeth

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

All is not well between Frampton and the McGuigans apparently, various issues dating back to before the second Santa Cruz fight.

He's resigned as a director of Cyclone in the last week or so too.

Sounds like it mate, I remember Barry's fall out with (thank you very much Mr) Eastwood, mind you, 40+ in a Las Vagas car park probably wasn't the best time to fight...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Wlad v AJ II is off then:

I was just saying to @Phileas Fogg the other day that it had dragged on far too long to be going ahead.

The right decision imo, he would have taken a hiding second time, as Hearn and co well knew- hence they were so keen on the rematch. It would have been a highlight reel ko.

So, Pulev next for AJ at the Millenium Stadium or O2 I guess. Vegas makes zero economic sense for that one.

20 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I was just saying to @Phileas Fogg the other day that it had dragged on far too long to be going ahead.

The right decision imo, he would have taken a hiding second time, as Hearn and co well knew- hence they were so keen on the rematch. It would have been a highlight reel ko.

So, Pulev next for AJ at the Millenium Stadium or O2 I guess. Vegas makes zero economic sense for that one.

A shame but no need for him to get a pasting to tarnish his legacy and health. Got nothing to prove.

Don't think there is any active heavyweights that could realistically beat AJ. Ok, Wilder could get a freak KO I suppose.. 

Whilst Fury is in no fit state and Dubois and Gorman are a few years too young, I can't see anyone to touch him for a while. Heard there's a few Eastern European amateur heavies that are potentially very good, can't remember the names though!

4 hours ago, Stortz said:

Was worried that the information I passed on may have turned out to be incorrect and could be called Henbury Gas!

• Like 1

With Klitschko and Tyson Fury out the picture it leaves AJ with limited eye-catching options. Casual fans won't be enticed by names such as Pulev and Ortiz, so Hearn will be tasked with stacking the card and hosting domestic fights. The AJ/Matchroom plan to break America is held back by his mandatories so it'll be interesting to see if both those fights happen. These chump heavyweights in the US would line up for the money fight and all roads lead to Wilder. That's his only glamourous option. 

Actually, at this stage of his develomment, Pulev is a good match up. But with the expectation of the paying public, and his teams own ambitions at such high levels, it now feels like Joshua's fights could lose their sparkle. Klitschko knows what that feels like.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

Big news from McGregor camp today. Paulie Malignaggi has quit.

Malignaggi was infuriated that the UFC had their own camera crews and film crews/audience in the gym filming the sparring. After the second spar they released photos of Paulie all beat up/bruised and apparently on the canvas after being floored.

Malignaggi, rightly furious, took to twitter to say the whole thing is a scam, he didn't get floored but was pushed over, and quit as a result. He also claims UFC should release the full sparring video so people know the truth. As a big Paulie fan, I'm assuming the truth is that Paulie schooled him over the majority of the 12 rounds.

In all fairness to Malignaggi, the gent he is, he says he'll release no technical details of the spar, only that the photos/footage isn't what it seems.

Some good Paulie Malignaggi interviews on YouTube today.

I'm a big fan of Paulie and he seems like he went into the McGregor camp with the best intentions, but has been royally stitched up to look like he took a beating.

I thoroughly recommend listening to Malignaggi's interview on 'MMA Hour' which you can easily find by searching Paulie on youtube (it;s the first thing that comes up and Paulie is the first thing on the programme).

His description of the sparring re-affirms that he stands no chance whatsoever, literally no chance. I now think, after listening to this, that Mayweather will allow McGregor 4-6 rounds before taking him out. The guy simply doesn't have the stamina, and he was knackered against an out-of-shape, 36yr old retired Paulie Malignaggi.

16 hours ago, Tomarse said:

What is UFC, three rounds of 3 minutes?  Jumping to 12 straight off must be near impossible 

3 rounds of 5. In some ways it's more taxing than boxing but requires a different set of muscles and in a way a different kind of fitness due to the grappling involved.

There's lots of contradictary reports coming out about Malignaggi-gate so it's hard to know who to believe. 

Sheehan (involved in filming McGregor's content for Showtime) has come out saying that McGregor was beating Malignaggi easily - and the 'knockdown/push' pictures are from a legitimate knockdown from a 4 punch combo.

Link here about 5.20 in

Obviously they want to sell the fight so it's preferable if they make it look like Connor has a shot. Watching Malignaggi's interviews and his twitter though, he is coming across as awfully bitter about the whole thing.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

3 rounds of 5. In some ways it's more taxing than boxing but requires a different set of muscles and in a way a different kind of fitness due to the grappling involved.

There's lots of contradictary reports coming out about Malignaggi-gate so it's hard to know who to believe. 

Sheehan (involved in filming McGregor's content for Showtime) has come out saying that McGregor was beating Malignaggi easily - and the 'knockdown/push' pictures are from a legitimate knockdown from a 4 punch combo.

Link here about 5.20 in

Obviously they want to sell the fight so it's preferable if they make it look like Connor has a shot. Watching Malignaggi's interviews and his twitter though, he is coming across as awfully bitter about the whole thing.

That's the problem Mr Fogg my ol' Mucka, we'll never know the truth until McGregor is actually in a boxing ring in front the cameras.

For what is worth, Malignaggi is one of my favourite boxers of all time. Love his style and ability, especially as he has no power. Whilst he does trash talk to get fights or hype fights, he's a genuine guy in normal interviews and he doesn't lie about things like this normally. Malignaggi himself admits McGregor got the best of the first spar (not many boxers would admit that), but you got to take into account he's retired, out of shape and hasn't been actively training.

I highly doubt Paulie is lying on this occasion and the reason we've heard/seen so much of him these past few days is because he's genuinely angry about the photos/stories leaving the McGregor camp. If you look at the interviews with that South African boxer who sparred McGregor, Van Der Heen I think his name was, it's the same story with regards McGregor, ego-maniac who only releases photos favourable to him.

For those who have Spotify, Paulie runs a weekly podcast called 'From Brooklyn To The World'. I thoroughly recommend listening to this week's edition, which covers the spar and gym stories in great detail. Sounds like McGregor is a total d!ckhead (shame as I kind of liked the guy). He even got referee Joe Cortez to come in and ensure there were official introductions and stare downs before sparring, which is unheard of :laugh:.

Edited by SARJ
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SARJ said:

That's the problem Mr Fogg my ol' Mucka, we'll never know the truth until McGregor is actually in a boxing ring in front the cameras.

For what is worth, Malignaggi is one of my favourite boxers of all time. Love his style and ability, especially as he has no power. Whilst he does trash talk to get fights or hype fights, he's a genuine guy in normal interviews and he doesn't lie about things like this normally. Malignaggi himself admits McGregor got the best of the first spar (not many boxers would admit that), but you got to take into account he's retired, out of shape and hasn't been actively training.

I highly doubt Paulie is lying on this occasion and the reason we've heard/seen so much of him these past few days is because he's genuinely angry about the photos/stories leaving the McGregor camp. If you look at the interviews with that South African boxer who sparred McGregor, Van Der Heen I think his name was, it's the same story with regards McGregor, ego-maniac who only releases photos favourable to him.

For those who have Spotify, Paulie runs a weekly podcast called 'From Brooklyn To The World'. I thoroughly recommend listening to this week's edition, which covers the spar and gym stories in great detail. Sounds like McGregor is a total d!ckhead (shame as I kind of liked the guy). He even got referee Joe Cortez to come in and ensure there were official introductions and stare downs before sparring, which is unheard of :laugh:.

Thanks for bringing 'From Brooklyn To The World' to my attention. Listened to it after I saw your post - very interesting. I agree with you, I don't think he's lying.

McGregor sounds like his best to preserve his image and maintain his 'cult of personality'. As a result he comes across as naive, controlling and insecure. 

Great insight and looking forward to have to hearing what Paulie has to say on the 26th.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yardy said:

I see footage of the Mcgregor/Paulie sparring has been released.....doesn't look like a push to me.

Btw a UFC fight is three, five minute rounds unless its a title fight or the main fight on the card then its five, five minute rounds.

Looks like Paulie was bullshitting, seems to me Conner was hiting him at will cracking his head back a few times, doesn't look like a push to me, and he looked far more tired than McGregor 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Looks like Paulie was bullshitting, seems to me Conner was hiting him at will cracking his head back a few times, doesn't look like a push to me, and he looked far more tired than McGregor 

Yea looks like Conor was getting the better of Paulie but i expect that because PM isn't in shape and CM is the bigger man, would be interesting to see a prime PM against CM.

Its a shame it went tits up between the pair because PM would of taught CM a lot.

15 minutes ago, yardy said:

Yea looks like Conor was getting the better of Paulie but i expect that because PM isn't in shape and CM is the bigger man, would be interesting to see a prime PM against CM.

Its a shame it went tits up between the pair because PM would of taught CM a lot.

Indeed, ego vs ego, not helped at all.

probably wanted a different boxer to help him truth be told, they all have ego, but these too a clash was kind of inevitable

• Like 1