IGNORED

You Reap What You Sow

Cardy

It's going to be a long winter. Last season's crop is running out and because the powers that be decided they couldn't afford the seeds this summer the resulting harvest is likely to be dismal. 

To be honest it is scandalous that certain suits have dictated where this club is heading - straight back to league 1. I know the players that we have will all try their best because they are a good bunch but they (and us) have been badly let down by people behind the scenes. There aren't enough of them, some of them simply aren't good enough & they are already feeling the pace - 3 games in a week was mentioned as a reason today.

Only at this club could you go from being on such a high with incredible momentum in May to the shambles that is now unfolding. By the time January comes when inevitably Mr Lansdown begins to panic with the Platinum Card we could be in a situation that no-one wants to joins us anyway because we are already a basket case. Top Class stadium with League 1 journey men is a truly sad thought.

I think you're entirely right. I was looking today at a fantastic stadium and imagining it pretty much empty in league 1 next year. I don,t care how much cash Lansdown has , and am fairly underwhelmed by him as a benefactor. Grand gestures, crap football team and it's a recurring theme.  What worries me is that nothing appears to be learned. Same mistakes over and over .

We wouldn't have had the promotion season last year if it wasn't for someone willing to put his hand in his pocket and bail us out year apon year.  Get some sense of perspective lads, if things were slightly different it could have been us getting beaten by Stanley last weekend.  

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.   

The club is heading in the right direction, it might not be working out on the pitch at the moment but as fans I think the best thing we can do is get behind the team and stop feeling like the world owes us a favour.

It's going to be a long winter. Last season's crop is running out and because the powers that be decided they couldn't afford the seeds this summer the resulting harvest is likely to be dismal. 

To be honest it is scandalous that certain suits have dictated where this club is heading - straight back to league 1. I know the players that we have will all try their best because they are a good bunch but they (and us) have been badly let down by people behind the scenes. There aren't enough of them, some of them simply aren't good enough & they are already feeling the pace - 3 games in a week was mentioned as a reason today.

Only at this club could you go from being on such a high with incredible momentum in May to the shambles that is now unfolding. By the time January comes when inevitably Mr Lansdown begins to panic with the Platinum Card we could be in a situation that no-one wants to joins us anyway because we are already a basket case. Top Class stadium with League 1 journey men is a truly sad thought.

I planned on just taking a back seat tonight, cooling down a bit. Then was gonna post tomorrow. Your post.....is pretty much spot on what I would have wrote. It's uncanny.

I posted on here about 3 or 4 years ago that this club, is ran in a completely shambolic way. I posted about how amateur we are, and how things will never change as Lansdown doesn't know how to. Great business man....absolutely shocking at running football club.

I just cannot believe what a balls up we have made of it. The cock up a couple of years ago was bad enough...but even the most pessimistic of fans wouldn't have seen this cock up coming.

Sad thing is, these players had real potential at this level, but they needed help. They needed support. They needed new players to come in and help them evolve. Both they and the fans have been let down by the board and by the manager.

Shocking

We wouldn't have had the promotion season last year if it wasn't for someone willing to put his hand in his pocket and bail us out year apon year.  Get some sense of perspective lads, if things were slightly different it could have been us getting beaten by Stanley last weekend.  

The club is heading in the right direction, it might not be working out on the pitch at the moment but as fans I think the best thing we can do is get behind the team and stop feeling like the world owes us a favour.

sorry but it's now or never for Bristol City and Championship success. And by success I mean consolidate in this league and improve year on year.

We were pretty much promoted by end of March, with a squad of talented young players who were extremely tight knit....if we can't build on that, and at least stay in this league....we never will 

It isn't now or never for anything.  Calm yourself down.  

We can improve, we can sign players in January, we could go down.  None of these options are as ultimate as you've made it sound.

I genuinely don't believe these players can improve without new additions. These guys are playing the best they can.

As for January...we are going to be far less appealing in January then we were in the summer. 

I genuinely don't believe these players can improve without new additions. These guys are playing the best they can.

As for January...we are going to be far less appealing in January then we were in the summer. 

not neccessarily, there will be a lot of good players available in January that haven't been getting first team football this season.  That isn't to say they're not good enough to get into their respective clubs but perhaps that they don't fit into the clubs tactical approach.  I think we might be able to steal a few quality players in January, hence why i'm not all doom and gloom now.

Talk about throwing the towel in.

We've got nearly all of the excellent squad that we had last season. JET was always going to leave when an established team waved a bundle of cash at him.

We signed a £2M striker who is scoring goals and looks like great value.

The stadium is shaping up nicely and we played Preston off the park in the week.

Time to panic? No.

I have done nothing but support Lansdown since day 1. I used to agree with you 100% but now i realise its all a facade. Hes had 10 plus years to build a club and we have ****** up time and time again. I know he has money but where has it got us? Both the Johnson and Cotterell  spikes have been flashes in the pain, nothing to do with the building of a club like the swanseas, Southamptons etc. whom we admire so much. I said  5 years ago he should have gone shit or bust on 2 years rather than piss 50 plus million against the wall over 7;years .

When have we ever looked like a serious club that was doing the right thing?

We've got nearlexactly the excellent squad that we had last season. JET was always going to leave when an established team waved a bundle of cash at him.

The stadium is shaping up nicely and we played Preston off the park in the week.

Time to panic? No.

is this a serious post? I feel like i could post exactly the same words and it somehow backs my argument up??

We've got nearly all of the excellent squad that we had last season. JET was always going to leave when an established team waved a bundle of cash at him.

Time to panic? No.

Firstly Preston really shouldn't be our benchmark - we could well finish above them & still go down...

With the money now in the Championship, the Premiership 2 is being introduced through the back door. If we don't stay up this season we could end being cut adrift once and for all as a footballing backwater that many in London & Up North think we already are. 

I have done nothing but support Lansdown since day 1. I used to agree with you 100% but now i realise its all a facade. Hes had 10 plus years to build a club and we have ****** up time and time again. I know he has money but where has it got us? Both the Johnson and Cotterell  spikes have been flashes in the pain, nothing to do with the building of a club like the swanseas, Southamptons etc. whom we admire so much. I said  5 years ago he should have gone shit or bust on 2 years rather than piss 50 plus million against the wall over 7;years .

When have we ever looked like a serious club that was doing the right thing?

What do you want?  southampton?  within 2 years they introduced 11 new first team players through their youth system to get where they are.  Their youth system was and still in the highest category in this country, ours is second tier but being improved yearly.    

I can agree that it's not all plain sailing and that mistakes have been made but we have a benefactor who is willing to spend vast sums of money trying to do the right thing.  You want him to leave, where does that leave us?

No new stands, no academy and no money in January, yeah, that'd help.  Behave.

What do you want?  southampton?  within 2 years they introduced 11 new first team players through their youth system to get where they are.  Their youth system was and still in the highest category in this country, ours is second tier but being improved yearly.    

I can agree that it's not all plain sailing and that mistakes have been made but we have a benefactor who is willing to spend vast sums of money trying to do the right thing.  You want him to leave, where does that leave us?

No new stands, no academy and no money in January, yeah, that'd help.  Behave.

No one wants Lansdown to leave.

I suggested 4 years ago we bring someone in who knows how to run a football club. I stand by that. 

It clear to see the Lansdowns don't have a clue when it comes to trying to evolve this club in to a real Championship club .

We fail time and time again at this level. I can even remember Lansdown saying in 2007 the club would learn from the mistakes it made in the 98 era! 

I wasn't having a pop mate, just trying to put things into perspective.  

Let's get behind the team, if we all do that and they still perform like ***** then i'll be the first in line to have a pop.

Get behind the team? Once again we are two goals behind before we've even had chance to get the seat warm under us. So we should all chant, shout and sing and the lads will do the business? 

I'm pleased if you feel able to  noisily support them but for most of us it is a case of "been here before, however much we shout, we'll lose again". I wish it was different but this is Bristol City.

Attention..Attention.      " Kneejerk Alert"   Forget Lansdown, Forget Cotterill, Forget Lack of Transfer Activity.   One of the major ongoing problems with our Great Football Club……..is the fickleness of the fans/supporters. One victory, and we are potential champions,  One defeat and it's relegation by Christmas!?   Get behind your team over a 46 game season, and the best thing you can possibly do is make some noise and support the manager.  Some of the opinions on here are just unbelievable after less than twenty percent of the season. I am not a Nigel Pearson like ostrich, there are quite obviously concerns to be addressed, but a little perspective is called for Mayhaps?

Everything's been downhill since the victory parade last season. Since we announced our retained list it's just got increasingly worse, momentum well and truly lost. Said all along we'd be punished for our summer activity, whilst the happy clappers dismissed such a view.

Bit early for shadenfreude.

I suggested 4 years ago we bring someone in who knows how to run a football club. I stand by that. 

It clear to see the Lansdowns don't have a clue when it comes to trying to evolve this club in to a real Championship club .

We fail time and time again at this level. I can even remember Lansdown saying in 2007 the club would learn from the mistakes it made in the 98 era! 

I sometimes think this as well , do you think the same is also happening with the rugger as they always seem to implode but as I don't follow anything about the game I can't really comment.

It's still early for sure but I can't see how people are still so patient. It's clear we had money to spend but decided not to. Big bids for players is nice but it was clear to most what we needed. We got the cover and competition through loans at keeper and CB but most of us knew we needed more. So what did we do? We told fans that we won't overpay. That's fine but you don't leave a squad short. 

We never replaced Wade which most would agree we needed to do. We needed another striker which we tried but aimed a bit to high. We needed cover and competition at WBs and attacking MF role and only through our young guys found that in Reid and Burns(the only positive of our summer of nothing). There were plenty of free agents out there that we deemed not good enough(as fans we did who knows in the office). 

Its very plain to see that we were so afraid of overpaying a couple people that we shied away from guys that could've helped us. That's very frustrating considering what they've been telling us about their ambition to be a bigger club. It's ok to be a smaller club but don't tell us we're trying to get bigger when you clearly aren't. I didn't want 10 overpaid journeymen but I think 2 or 3 that have been here before would've made a massive difference. Look what it's done for Derrick Williams. He got dropped and got a quick chance to return and looks better for it. There isn't that same pressure on Pack, Smith, Bryan or Freeman. There is no alternative to Wilbraham. That is a failure when there was cash and there were options. We just didn't take any risks and risks were needed at this level. 100m spent in this league and we thought our league 1 squad would be enough. Shambolic

The most crucial appointment  was that of Keith Burt and long overdue in my view. 

For years SL with all his business acumen tried to run the club along usual business lines assuming I think that running a football club was essentially the same. 

The appointment of KB was an indication that SL had finally realised that an experienced football man was required, someone with numerous football contacts and vast experience of working within the football world.

The issue has been that KBs hands have been tied by him not being permitted to pay the wages demanded and those ties ultimately come from Senior Lansdown. 

I have a theory as to why SL won't agree to wage demands but explaining it is for another time.

The Championship is a significantly different place to 2 years ago. And next year it will see yet another sea change thanks to the money pit of the Premier League. I do not accept the powers that be at this club fail to understand that.

However, only time will tell if we have put in place all the factors to optimise success this time around. Nothing we clamour to discuss here will change that so I, for one, am just gonna enjoy the ride.

I planned on just taking a back seat tonight, cooling down a bit. Then was gonna post tomorrow. Your post.....is pretty much spot on what I would have wrote. It's uncanny.

I posted on here about 3 or 4 years ago that this club, is ran in a completely shambolic way. I posted about how amateur we are, and how things will never change as Lansdown doesn't know how to. Great business man....absolutely shocking at running football club.

I just cannot believe what a balls up we have made of it. The cock up a couple of years ago was bad enough...but even the most pessimistic of fans wouldn't have seen this cock up coming.

Sad thing is, these players had real potential at this level, but they needed help. They needed support. They needed new players to come in and help them evolve. Both they and the fans have been let down by the board and by the manager.

Shocking

Totally agree mate can't believe the board are just sitting back and letting this happen it took a lot of hard work to get out of league one

The most crucial appointment  was that of Keith Burt and long overdue in my view. 

For years SL with all his business acumen tried to run the club along usual business lines assuming I think that running a football club was essentially the same. 

The appointment of KB was an indication that SL had finally realised that an experienced football man was required, someone with numerous football contacts and vast experience of working within the football world.

The issue has been that KBs hands have been tied by him not being permitted to pay the wages demanded and those ties ultimately come from Senior Lansdown. 

I have a theory as to why SL won't agree to wage demands but explaining it is for another time.

be interested to know your theory.

Its an interesting time for City. I stand by what I said earlier, for me....it's now or never for a City club ran by Lansdown. 

If we do slip back to League 1 next year, I think we can all agree we will never succeed as a Championship club under Lansdown 

I'm absolutely perplexed as to why no one is blaming Cotterril but are instead blaming the board for lack of signings. We bid for Gayle and Gray, those bids were accepted but one didn't want to come and the other wanted more money/a better club. Pretty sure that's ambition there. Cotts has clearly turned his nose up at all the players that have been suggested to him by our recently ramped up scouting network, you guys and myself were all hoping for us to sign various league 1/2 players we are all aware of but something inside me says Cotterill just didn't want these sort of players because they didn't have championship experience. I pray that in January we are a little less over optimistic in our transfer targets. 

The manager has made it clear he wasn't happy with summer transfer dealings or lack of and everyone on the forum has shared their concerns. We need to put this behind us and look forward. 

Landsdown has invested heavily in Bristol and Bristol City. I struggle to understand how fans can question or criticise.

With or without signings this was always a big step up. We need to find a formation that suits our players. COYR

PS Kodjia was a good signing.

Archived