IGNORED

You Reap What You Sow

Cardy

He is Director of Football, of course he should take some of the blame.

Pelling was the money man and he's taken the fall. Do we dissect from that that we miscalculated how much we were able to offer Gray in wages after offering such big fees?

You're missing the point...

Then how do people on here propose to increase funds?

Mr Lansdown has already restructured very large debts. 

if you cannot afford to run the club at the next level.... When you have taken control of said club then you either sell up or take a long hard look at what you want to achieve.  If it is a championship div 1 yo yo side, fair enough let people know that. 

I know SL has did on many occasions the club has to stand on it's own two feet. Well I think the guy is living in dream land if he actually thinks this is possible. In today's climate football is a loss making industry propped up by tv money and billionaires. If Steve will not bankroll it and does what he needs to do to keep us afloat fair enough.  But I think the messages needs to get out there to lower people's expectations

We ar a club tha does not pay big wages. We are a back water club. The only way we Will improve is to chuck money at it. Good players need a reason to come and play for us... The only possible thing we can offer is big wages... We have never had the history support or success to attract anyone other than some players on the way down or the occasional starlet using us as a stepping stone.

So it is time a decision was made... We continue to be a no Mark club with one of the richest owners in English football.. Or some real ambition is shown.  Only one person can determine that.

The problem is, yes we needed to bring in better players, but to do that ( paying 20-20k a week to these new players) you would probably rip the spirit out of the dressing room.

How do you deal with a situation ( for instance) where two strikers get changed next to each other, one on 8k a week and the other on 25k, animosity would be rife.

It's still early in the season, we aren't far away from some decent results, and it's generally thought that we are playing well in most games but not getting those results.

We went to Boro and won, who knows what might happen over the next 7 months!

OK here's one way you deal with this situation ;

Gentlemen , please welcome ' X ' ,he ,as you probably know , has x years experience in championship/premiership ,he's has won x during his career and he's with us to help you improve your game and give us  the chance to improve at this  level .

You may have heard whispers that he earns more money than you . It's true , He is on top wages . He deserves it on his past career , now he has to prove himself in a City shirt.

You are all capable of having the sort of success X has had . I believe in you .Now show me that you deserve it .

if you cannot afford to run the club at the next level.... When you have taken control of said club then you either sell up or take a long hard look at what you want to achieve.  If it is a championship div 1 yo yo side, fair enough let people know that. 

I know SL has did on many occasions the club has to stand on it's own two feet. Well I think the guy is living in dream land if he actually thinks this is possible. In today's climate football is a loss making industry propped up by tv money and billionaires. If Steve will not bankroll it and does what he needs to do to keep us afloat fair enough.  But I think the messages needs to get out there to lower people's expectations

We ar a club tha does not pay big wages. We are a back water club. The only way we Will improve is to chuck money at it. Good players need a reason to come and play for us... The only possible thing we can offer is big wages... We have never had the history support or success to attract anyone other than some players on the way down or the occasional starlet using us as a stepping stone.

So it is time a decision was made... We continue to be a no Mark club with one of the richest owners in English football.. Or some real ambition is shown.  Only one person can determine that.

We will be able to pay the wages...once the stadium is complete.

I think they do, but where is the magic wand or what is the solution? Well to me it lies in either stretching the club's resources beyond all reasonable means, or it takes surviving in the short term and hoping to steadily build success. Each are gambles and you can make a case for each, but I'd rather be a solvent league one club than a hamstrung, regretful league two club or worse. The risks in stretching are far too great  

Whilst the Championship has changed what's changed also and continues to keep changing is how happy players are to contribute to the death of a club. Look at Pompey'a creditor list of footballers and think of players like Ben Haim and Kanu. In '82 we may have survived on the massive generosity of 8 players, we'd have no chance this time around. The stakes and risks are much higher, now beyond reason.

I appreciate how much money SL has, but to my mind it's always something quite separate to how much BCFC has. Whilst comfortable with the situation now, if we overstretch and underachieve it could become such a strain and even test commitment. No wonder he doesn't want any one player owing more than £20k a week. 

No point in ploughing in 40 odd million then to redevelop ashton gate.

There's a lot of supposition in this thread that it's all SLs fault which I don't buy into it. Given the near disastrous state we got ourselves into before by signing decidedly average players on sky high wages I can well see why SL would like to keep control of the wage budget. Besides whatever cap he has set would have been clearly communicated to Burt & SC, so they should have targeted players who would fit that wage cap, not go after targets who were likely to refuse it.

I still find it amazing that we didn't sign up Tavernier, especially given we knew of Little's injury. There were also good options who would surely have fitted our wage structure that we seemed to just ignore, e.g. Byrne at Swindon, Clucas at Chesterfield.

So for me Burt & SC should take the wrap for the failed transfer window not SL.

How do you propose to chuck money at it?  Can you articulate how this will work alongside permitted losses - FFP?

What club is it you feel Mr Lansdown and BCFC should look towards as being the model to follow?

The above are simple questions if you have sensible alternatives.

Mr Lansdowns financing of the redevelopment and academy is hardly involving minor sums of money, but is being discounted in your post as a means of improvement.

The club must have had a fee/wage budget for the Championship but it seems that the budget was inadequate. That's not exactly KB fault is it? 

That was identified before the end of last season, maybe it wasn't enough (the fact we twice bid £6m for a player suggests there was sufficient money it was just poorly executed in terms of spending) as the man charged with getting signing through the door he's failed massively. 2 permanent signings (one of which lasted 26 days) & 4 loans from 2 clubs - 2 of which can't get in the 1st team - hardly suggests to me a success. 

He was happy to take the plaudits last season when we signed decent players- now complete silence! 

How do you propose to chuck money at it?  Can you articulate how this will work alongside permitted losses - FFP?

What club is it you feel Mr Lansdown and BCFC should look towards as being the model to follow?

The above are simple questions if you have sensible alternatives.

Mr Lansdowns financing of the redevelopment and academy is hardly involving minor sums of money, but is being discounted in your post as a means of improvement.

I propose the club tell the fans that their ambitions cannot match the money the are willing or allowed to put in, and stipulate exactly how many fans and how much they want to charge them to make the club viable for the wages needed to Make a concerted effort to push for the premier league.... Then you will see the true appetite of both fans and owners have for premiership football...

if you can fill it!!!   On the current course you will be luck to half fill it. All good having a off the pitch vision if you cannot fullfill it on the pitch

Yes, we'll need to start winning to fill it but it's not just about spectators it's the revenue it will generate through the conferencing facilities, Sports Bar and hospitality events too. Not to mention the exec boxes that are already all sold out for the first two years.

The club must have had a fee/wage budget for the Championship but it seems that the budget was inadequate. That's not exactly KB fault is it? 

Why did it take us until the last few weeks of the transfer window to find out it was inadequate? That smacks of poor planning and a failure to identify players of sufficient quality that would fit into the wage structure.

Yes, we'll need to start winning to fill it but it's not just about spectators it's the revenue it will generate through the conferencing facilities, Sports Bar and hospitality events too. Not to mention the exec boxes that are already all sold out for the first two years.

Why did it take us until the last few weeks of the transfer window to find out it was inadequate? That smacks of poor planning and a failure to identify players of sufficient quality that would fit into the wage structure.

Maybe, if it was not a shared stadium, thos revenues will be first farmed back into the stadium company and what is left will be divvyed up between both clubs.

I fail to see the potential earning from the stadiums being close to what is needed to generate the wage structure needed, this type of money comes from megabucks sponsorship deals, so far I have not seen anything that equates to megabuck sponsorship, and this will not happen in this division.

So you either as a club accept we are a backwater club, and live like this, unable to attract the players you want, or you gamble, and ignore the financial fair play limitations (as other have done) and go for it, potentially leaving the club up shite creek or moving onto the next level.

I think the club has stated it wants to go down the self sufficient route, which means we stay a backwater club unable to generate the revenue to go much further than where we are now.

Archived