IGNORED

Cole Skuse

BCFC Jimmer

Hi Guys,

Ipswich fan in peace, just wanted to add the views from ITFC fans on Skuse as a player. I think as many mentioned he is certainly a player who's good work goes unnoticed, such a calm influence in the midfield and is for us is absolutely huge to how we play providing we have the right players around him. Skuse will rarely influence the game in the attacking end but the guy can win you the game through his defensive work as well as his calmness on the ball which keeps the team ticking over. Whilst he does not directly get involved in attacks he is usually the one to start off the attacks and is without a doubt one of the best players we have.

The thing with Skuse is you rarely mention him for having a good or bad game, largely becuase he's such a consistant player that he rarely has a bad game and his good work goes unnoticed but he is certainly a class player and the type of player that most teams need at championship level.

Anyway looking forward to the game tomorrow, will probably be a decent game with both our teams conceding a lot of goals early season. As usual good luck for the rest of the season apart from tomorrow. I reckon you guys have enough to stay up.

Not hard to figure out why you've been conceding goals....or treading water for the past 2 seasons.

Maybe it's time to give Claude Makelele a pay rise!

Hi Guys,

Ipswich fan in peace, just wanted to add the views from ITFC fans on Skuse as a player. I think as many mentioned he is certainly a player who's good work goes unnoticed, such a calm influence in the midfield and is for us is absolutely huge to how we play providing we have the right players around him. Skuse will rarely influence the game in the attacking end but the guy can win you the game through his defensive work as well as his calmness on the ball which keeps the team ticking over. Whilst he does not directly get involved in attacks he is usually the one to start off the attacks and is without a doubt one of the best players we have.

The thing with Skuse is you rarely mention him for having a good or bad game, largely becuase he's such a consistant player that he rarely has a bad game and his good work goes unnoticed but he is certainly a class player and the type of player that most teams need at championship level.

Anyway looking forward to the game tomorrow, will probably be a decent game with both our teams conceding a lot of goals early season. As usual good luck for the rest of the season apart from tomorrow. I reckon you guys have enough to stay up.

Exactly what I have heard from the Ipswich I know.

Anyone with a decent footballing brain understands just how important those assests are. Creates space and gives players more time to get their breath back and to make runs off the ball.

I would be interested to see his stats in regards to how many Km's he runs compared to the rest of the team. I would bet he covers more ground than most. Having said that, he is definately not a headless chicken and his positioning his excellent. He doesn't score many goals but thats because he is always deployed defensively and doesn't come up for set pieces.

Anyway, I think that's enough of a Skuse love in for one day! 

I'm amazed at some of the replies on here regarding Skuse.

Look at his playing record on wiki...and how many games he has played each season...most in the Championship.

The guy is a top class Defensive Midfielder of Championship quality. At 29 he's found his level.

To compare him with Korey is ridiculous...he's got 5 seasons on Korey...Look at how many more games Skuse had played at League 1 and above more than Korey at the same age.

He's always fit, never injured, does what you want from a DM and doesn't shirk his job, and does what he's asked to do by his manager. A model Professional that the majority of Managers would have in their team in this league.

Wouldn't want him back though, as we need younger players to grow. But he's better than anything we've got in DM atm.

it's called opinion, the only thing I would say is perhaps it might be good to see him playing in a team that look like they give a shit unlike his last 2 seasons with us.

What I have always found strange is that nobody has ever been prepared to shell out a fee for him, surely if he is that good and a 'prem' player playing in the championship especially being English why hasn't a mid table prem team invested in him?.

But at the end of the day it's all about opinion, for instance I have been watching Anthony Martial at Manu and people are likening him to Thierry Henry, I don't see it personally, to me he looks more like a Michael Owen at the same age, with that instinct to gamble on defensive mistakes, but hey that's my opinion.

IMO, Cole was our best and most consistent player for a number of seasons, but he was always gonna be marmite to us fans for the simple fact he was never spectacular. He is what I would call a footballers footballer, I.e.his teammates appreciated him more than the fans as he did the donkey work that often goes unnoticed. 

OK - I think I was on a hiatus from OTIB when he left so I wouldn't know!

I have kept close tabs on him through some 'contacts' of mine :P On the whole, Ipswich coaching setup and fans rate him big time.  There is a minority of Town fans that don't like him, similar to when he was here I guess (we all know who those kind of people are).

Whilst what you say makes good sense, nobody on otib has "contacts". If they do then they don't post factual info.

Whilst what you say makes good sense, nobody on otib has "contacts". If they do then they don't post factual info.

I actually know one poster on here that is genuinely ITK with City. You can probs guess.

I know a coach at Ipswich though my housemate - so that's who I was referring to earlier regarding Skuse comments. 

One of my favourite city players I've watched in my 11 seasons as a ST holder. Would somehow popped up with a crunching goal saving challenge out of nowhere and scored a couple of amazing ones. Loved Skuse to bits and I'm in disbelief as to how some people never rated him.

Like the goal he scored against West Ham

Do you not recall the last time we were in the Championship? He didn't exactly shore us up then. I don't think there's much between Pack and Skuse, tbh.

Imagine how many goals Brett would have scored for us with the chances we've created this year!

Took the words right out of my mouth, and that was alongside a very accomplished Cisse in holding too.

Now wishing to be picky, but Cisse had left by then.  Skuse was very poor in that relegation season, the number of times we were opened up through the middle of the park was embarrassing.. It is a bugbear of mine how we got relegated when we had so many players who either left to join a championship club/are still plying there trade in the championship. As well as Skuse/PItman/Gherkin/Anderson at Ipswich we have Adomah, Baldock, Davies, Stead, Nyantanga, Woolford, Heaton (premier league as well), Cunningham, not too mention the experience of Carey and Fontaine (who did re-appear in the Championship for Yeovil).  Yes we had a few shocking signings from Delboy and our worst manager ever in SOD who made sure we went down without  a whimper, but the players didn't cover themselves in glory..not sure If Killkenny was around then?

Cole Skuse was to City what the bass player is to a band, you don't notice straightaway what they bring to the party but then you don't realise how effective they are until you take them out of the equation.

There's a guy who posts cool You Tube videos where he has extracted the bass lines from famous songs and they all sound awful.

It's all about the bass! And football teams are all about the unsung guys who are integral to the game plan running smoothly, players like Cole Skuse, Phil Neville, Nemanja Matic are all good examples. Unselfish, uncomplicated, usually model pros...vital.

(....and yes, I'm a bass player in a band!)

Cole Skuse was to City what the bass player is to a band, you don't notice straightaway what they bring to the party but then you don't realise how effective they are until you take them out of the equation.

There's a guy who posts cool You Tube videos where he has extracted the bass lines from famous songs and they all sound awful.

It's all about the bass! And football teams are all about the unsung guys who are integral to the game plan running smoothly, players like Cole Skuse, Phil Neville, Nemanja Matic are all good examples. Unselfish, uncomplicated, usually model pros...vital.

great post!

To many Saturday afternoon coaches who think they know better. 

I have seen OUR fans kill good players with the jeers from the crowd. 

Get behind the team. 

As an ex bassist I salute this post, drummers though.... (Actually that may have just been ours, a man that managed to fall off the stage backwards halfway through a song)

Bass players are generally the least talented musician in a band! 

Cole has signed another big contract with Ipswich till 2018.

Though, obviously Marlon Pack is just as good as him. 

Maybe that would pave the way for him to come back as a player/coach when his contract finishes. Obviously depending on what standard we are playing. 

Archived