IGNORED

Cole Skuse

BCFC Jimmer

Cole was a good servant to the club but I certainly lost no sleep when he left. Happy he's done well but I don't think he'd have made much difference over the period of time he's left. Nice chap but wouldn't really improve the team.

Was gutted when Brett inevitably left though. Criminally underused by McInnes (and Millen to an extent, should have kept the Stead/Pitman partnership instead of catering to Micky). Sure he's bound to score on Saturday.

Are you saying that he would not improve our current team? Thats a ridiculous thing to say - why do you think we are conceding so many goals at the moment? He would shore us up a bit at the moment and that is pretty much a fact as far as I am concerned. Look at the technical abilities he would bring us.

Sorry, I can't even accept that Skuse leaving was good for both parties.  We didn't even get a fee for him? And our midfield and team went to utter shit after he left (granted it was deteriorating slightly before that).

Skuse doubters are all mental IMO!!!!!!!! :)

Yes I knew it, deep down he still holds the desire to pull the BCFC shirt back on once more, perhaps it isn't such a secret after all.

Cole Skuse, next time you're not playing on a weekend, you'll be welcome to sit by me in the Dolman.  I'll save you a seat my good man .

If, however, you help Ipswich to a shock win, then I retract this offer immediately and will lock the gates of Bristol to you.

Collis1 sounds a right laugh.

Personally I don't miss Skuse. Failed to break up play in his final season which helped put the nail in our coffin. So many times he should have taken one for the team and picked up a yellow for halting a counter but was just too 'nice' to do it.

He's fine for a team on the up, no doubt, but I wouldn't want him on my team in a dogfight so I wouldn't have him now tbh.

Are you saying that he would not improve our current team? Thats a ridiculous thing to say - why do you think we are conceding so many goals at the moment? He would shore us up a bit at the moment and that is pretty much a fact as far as I am concerned. Look at the technical abilities he would bring us.

Sorry, I can't even accept that Skuse leaving was good for both parties.  We didn't even get a fee for him? And our midfield and team went to utter shit after he left (granted it was deteriorating slightly before that).

Skuse doubters are all mental IMO!!!!!!!! :)

Do you not recall the last time we were in the Championship? He didn't exactly shore us up then. I don't think there's much between Pack and Skuse, tbh.

Imagine how many goals Brett would have scored for us with the chances we've created this year!

Do you not recall the last time we were in the Championship? He didn't exactly shore us up then. I don't think there's much between Pack and Skuse, tbh.

Imagine how many goals Brett would have scored for us with the chances we've created this year!

Took the words right out of my mouth, and that was alongside a very accomplished Cisse in holding too.

Personally I think Cole gets a hell of a lot of unwarranted stick. He is clearly a far better player than many give him credit for. However I also think that he is the beneficiary of a lot of lenience too: I think some people over egg him and I assume this is down to him being 'one of our own' - perhaps the same happens or will happen to Joe B, Wes B, Bobby R too, and it's certainly no criticism that I'm aiming at Skuse for this.

To my mind Skuse is a good championship player. However, at the end of his time with us he was not playing anywhere near one (on form) and I think it right all round that he left.

To put another slant on it: Would I have him back if the opportunity arose? Yes. Would I particularly want him back or make an effort to buy him? Probably not.

You have to remember that Pitman was given a fair number of starts but he always seemed to be a better impact player to me, fitness levels were also slightly questionable. 

Took the words right out of my mouth, and that was alongside a very accomplished Cisse in holding too.

Personally I think Cole gets a hell of a lot of unwarranted stick. He is clearly a far better player than many give him credit for. However I also think that he is the beneficiary of a lot of lenience too: I think some people over egg him and I assume this is down to him being 'one of our own' - perhaps the same happens or will happen to Joe B, Wes B, Bobby R too, and it's certainly no criticism that I'm aiming at Skuse for this.

To my mind Skuse is a good championship player. However, at the end of his time with us he was not playing as one (on form) and I think it right all round that he left.

To put another slant on it Would I have him back if the opportunity arose? Yes. Would I particularly want him back or make an effort to buy him? Probably not.

Mick M thinks he's a prem standard player, said so a while back. He's hugely rated and loved by the ipswich fans. I think had he stayed with us going into league 1 and coming back up Smith and Skuse would be a formidable pairing in the middle of our 352. I'd love him back. Would cost a lot though in todays market. People saying he wouldn't improve our team have to rethink their evaluation of him. Surely he's a better option than this Marlon Pack fella who you've all been slating the past few weeks.

That is possibly the most moronic sentence I have read on this forum.

To know how highly rated Skuse is you would have to know something about football, be well connected in the sport, or regularly attend Ipswich Town games.  I assume you don't, so do us all a favour and stay out of a thread that was designed to honour him.

Idiot.

Read it again Collis , the man clearly meant how highly he rated Skusey .

Cole Skuse is what he is, look at his stats assists = 0, shots = 0, goals = 0 and he has one yellow card, he is a strong midfielder with a great engine and is great at the simple stuff, Pack offers more going forward but can be caught out defensively but Smith is better than both, IMO.

Would Skuse enhance our squad yes, would he enhance our team I don't believe he would, to fit him in we would have forgo a more attacking threat.

That is my opinion.

You have to remember that Pitman was given a fair number of starts but he always seemed to be a better impact player to me, fitness levels were also slightly questionable. 

Mick M thinks he's a prem standard player, said so a while back. He's hugely rated and loved by the ipswich fans. I think had he stayed with us going into league 1 and coming back up Smith and Skuse would be a formidable pairing in the middle of our 352. I'd love him back. Would cost a lot though in todays market. People saying he wouldn't improve our team have to rethink their evaluation of him. Surely he's a better option than this Marlon Pack fella who you've all been slating the past few weeks.

The 'M' stands for Mad doesn't it? Being facetious of course and I do respect his opinion and was aware of his on Skuse. But it's a game of opinions and managers can be wrong (for instance Mick has taken teams down, failed in promotions/underachieved, been sacked) just as fans can be wrong and of course I accept perhaps I am. 

I do think Skuse a Championship player as said, at today's date I agree a better option than Pack too. However I don't think it beyond Pack to get to Cole's level, for instance. The want him back, have him back, reference was merely acknowledging he is of the standard to improve the squad, but in my opinion not of a good enough standard to make him 'a target'. If it helps I suppose the logic is I think we should be aiming to have players of a higher calibre than Skuse would be by the end of his contractual term and I don't think he's impactful enough as a short term option.  

I'm happy he left, for his development and our own. I wish him well too, but I do think he's bang average at this level. I also think it's a good standard so that's meant as no dig. 

great post mate.

Pigman was never matcgph fit, I don't he has the natural stamina that some footballers are born with.

however, if he'd be stood alongside Kodjia up top and Skuse was playing alongside Plack, we'd be at least mid table at the moment.

Id have Skuse back here in a heartbeat, matey be SL can sell him back the club come the Ipswich game, top man. 

great post mate.

Pigman was never matcgph fit, I don't he has the natural stamina that some footballers are born with.

however, if he'd be stood alongside Kodjia up top and Skuse was playing alongside Plack, we'd be at least mid table at the moment.

Id have Skuse back here in a heartbeat, matey be SL can sell him back the club come the Ipswich game, top man. 

Big man, pig man, ha ha charade you are........

Skuse and Pitman are two of the most underrated City players in recent years IMO. Skuse was always a 7/10 or above every game, wasn't there to wear the flashy boots, show off flashy skills and score 30 yarders like most fans want from players, but was superb at breaking up play and being composed on the ball. Anyone who lays a huge majority of blame on him for us going down - I'd argue that McInnes changing formation every game, and starting every game with a new defence (but keeping Fontaine at CB), and signing unfit players on 6 month contracts, was 99% of the reason.

Pitman is similar to JET for me. Most fans want to see players running around a lot because that apparently = commitment. You need to look past that in modern football to be a good player. Potentially the best striker of a football I've seen at the gate. I'm confident if we'd have had him in the year Baldock hit 20+. then Pitman would've hit 30+. Again, McInnes playing him out wide/on the bench to play Albert upfront underlined his downfall.

great at the simple stuff

You would be amazed how sought after players that can do the 'simple stuff' are these days.  There is a shortage of them and I expect that's why Mick likes Skuse so much.

Very few teams at this level would not benefit from having a player like him. Great on and off the pitch.

I'm amazed at some of the replies on here regarding Skuse.

Look at his playing record on wiki...and how many games he has played each season...most in the Championship.

The guy is a top class Defensive Midfielder of Championship quality. At 29 he's found his level.

To compare him with Korey is ridiculous...he's got 5 seasons on Korey...Look at how many more games Skuse had played at League 1 and above more than Korey at the same age.

He's always fit, never injured, does what you want from a DM and doesn't shirk his job, and does what he's asked to do by his manager. A model Professional that the majority of Managers would have in their team in this league.

Wouldn't want him back though, as we need younger players to grow. But he's better than anything we've got in DM atm.

Helped us get relegated and then said joining Ipswich was an 'easy decision'.

Had one good game in 9. Tried to hold the club to ransom over wages (demanded 12k a week in League 1).

Good riddance!

You mean playing in league 1 compared to a team who were going to be competitive in the championship? Sounds an easy decision to me. As for wages, how much do you think Baldock and JET were on?

That is possibly the most moronic sentence I have read on this forum.

To know how highly rated Skuse is you would have to know something about football, be well connected in the sport, or regularly attend Ipswich Town games.  I assume you don't, so do us all a favour and stay out of a thread that was designed to honour him.

Idiot.

Oh Dear!!

To compare him with Korey is ridiculous...he's got 5 seasons on Korey...Look at how many more games Skuse had played at League 1 and above more than Korey at the same age.

After their first 6 seasons Skuse had only played 20ish more games. Smith did play 30 times Norwich in the championship in his second year don't forget. The season before he was playing 40 as an 18 year old. Hopefully with the right partner Korey can become even better than Skuse was.

After their first 6 seasons Skuse had only played 20ish more games. Smith did play 30 times Norwich in the championship in his second year don't forget. The season before he was playing 40 as an 18 year old. Hopefully with the right partner Korey can become even better than Skuse was.

I totally agree mate...but comparing the two like some were doing was ridiculous imho.

Hi Guys,

Ipswich fan in peace, just wanted to add the views from ITFC fans on Skuse as a player. I think as many mentioned he is certainly a player who's good work goes unnoticed, such a calm influence in the midfield and is for us is absolutely huge to how we play providing we have the right players around him. Skuse will rarely influence the game in the attacking end but the guy can win you the game through his defensive work as well as his calmness on the ball which keeps the team ticking over. Whilst he does not directly get involved in attacks he is usually the one to start off the attacks and is without a doubt one of the best players we have.

The thing with Skuse is you rarely mention him for having a good or bad game, largely becuase he's such a consistant player that he rarely has a bad game and his good work goes unnoticed but he is certainly a class player and the type of player that most teams need at championship level.

Anyway looking forward to the game tomorrow, will probably be a decent game with both our teams conceding a lot of goals early season. As usual good luck for the rest of the season apart from tomorrow. I reckon you guys have enough to stay up.

Archived