IGNORED

Faith in steve cotterill

dunsteral

I have no faith in SC taking us to the next level...or in fact do I have any faith in the next manager that comes here...imho...any manager would struggle here at this level and above.

History tells us we are at our "normal" level of Championship/Div I. You may be right Spud but I think we should give SC a little longer yet. We are not even 10 games in yet!!

Actually that isn't a fact.

We signed Ryan Fredericks permanently, then he left.

Well he was hardly secured was he?

Signed but then left in bizarre circumstances that don't appear to have affected his availability for Fulham.

I have no faith in SC taking us to the next level...or in fact do I have any faith in the next manager that comes here...imho...any manager would struggle here at this level and above.

Is your view based on budget alone?  Would Wenger or Pardew struggle?

have we ever had a manager who has had consistent success at a higher level? 

I have not yet read the Leroy R column but to even mention the words 'Steve Cotterill is in credit' strikes me as stating the bleadin' obvious and unnecessary. OK, so the guy is now a journalist and I like what he writes and that, alone, is probably justification for him writing whatever he wants; If anybody has to bring it up I am glad its a journalist. It would be downright ridiculous if one of us had. 

Condensed version:

Cotterill is not yet in overdraft

• Admin

Whilst the summer transfer fiasco can't be blamed on SC, sticking with 352 is squarely down to him and both are the reason we're struggling IMO

Not that I'm saying get rid of SC mind 

There is a very simple reply to that - the current squad were signed as they were the best options to play in the 3-5-2 formation

Mess around with the formation and we get the Gary Johnson days where we play players out of their position, the phrase often used was square pegs in round holes

Until we recruit different players Cotts has no real option to change the formation, as that would be an even bigger gamble than not signing anyone on

Can't disagree with that. Any manager who does really is the exception to the rule rather than the norm.

There is a very simple reply to that - the current squad were signed as they were the best options to play in the 3-5-2 formation

Mess around with the formation and we get the Gary Johnson days where we play players out of their position, the phrase often used was square pegs in round holes

Until we recruit different players Cotts has no real option to change the formation, as that would be an even bigger gamble than not signing anyone on

Personally, I tthink we have the players to play 4-4-2. Bryan is more a winger than a wing back, and I think Burns could do a job on the right wing. 

The current system is leaving us dangerously exposed at the back and teams are taking advantage of it. 

Granted, changing the formation would be a gamble, but on the basis that the system we are playing isn't working, I think it's one worth taking. 

I honestly don't think we'd have to play anyone in a position they wouldn't be comfortable in. 

I'd like to see a 442 diamond 

Fielding 

Ayling  Flint Baker Williams 

Smith 

Burns                    Bryan 

Freeman 

Kodjia          Agard

I'm entirely unconvinced that the reason we are struggling so far is purely down to formation. I don't think our success last season under SC has been down to formation either- more to do with quality. This season we don't have the same stand out quality because we're up against a lot of ex- prem players and more experience.

Hmmm- of course if he turns it around and we have a successful season then some club comes knocking on his door and he leaves then I guess this is the Board's stupid fault as well?

Steve Lansdown has demonstrated over many years  that he isn't trigger happy and doesn't over react so why should we expect any different now?

9 games in and one poorly played match but with 8 indicating that with a bit more 'rub of the green' and a little bit more concentration/savvy and we should be fine at this level. A few new additions in Jan which should of happened in the summer should see us at the business end of the Championship before too long.

As fans - we can't change the formation and we can't bring in new players - neither of which will happen any time soon anyway. But we can at least keep faith in the Manager and team irrespective of results for a little while longer.

37 games left.

Completely agree on this, tomorrow will be my first game of the season so I am in no position to comment on the performance first hand, but from what I have been told and from listening to the commentary each week it sounds more like the mentality of ourselves and the higher quality of opponent is the problem.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this earlier today. For me, even if we are in a relegation battle, later in the season( not that I think we will be ). I would stick with SC. We are trying to play the right way, expansive attacking football. I remember the dross we watched last time we were in the championship! He is still well in credit for me.

Tactically, Cotterill is not the problem. Any manager will struggle to do any better and we certainly shouldn't be looking to replace him.

Anyone will be dealt a tough hand when you only make one permanent signing after letting 5 or 6 from an already small squad leave. SC has built this team so stands a better chance of keeping us up than anyone else.

I love what cotta has done don't get me wrong...but I genuinely believe if we are cut adrift by first week of December then we need to think. With the stadium development it is imperative we stay in this league, as we will be a prem club in waiting, and sentiment takes you so far. If it is a case we can get someone in to spend the money in January to keep us up then that is when we would need to act....I'm sorry if this is not what people want to hear but I believe cotts is as culpable about our awful transfer activity in the summer as anyone and his inability to find an alternative to 3-5-2 is grating on me

SC did well, more than well last season. I don't give a flying fffff who the manager is. I want to watch my team play at the highest level, before I turn me toes up. I learned a long time ago to have  no emotional attachment to any of 'em. If SC can't sort it, so be it.

Mario Bielsa would be my choice, great pacey, pressing game, but obviously no chance of him coming here!

So the manager that took us from O'Drearysville bottom of the league to safety, and then win the league by a country mile with entertaining football, and most acknowledge has deserved more points so far this season, maybe should be sacked.

That's very funny I will watch this thread with interest. As I did with the hilarious threads when Cotterill was first appointed.

Have to agree .. Not that I doubt SC but I really doubt with the limitations that are imposed by the senior management team that it would be extremely difficult for anyone to succeed at BCFC. That's if we are judging success on being promoted to the PL (promise land).... We will never have enough income to compete at a top level if we want to do it by purely revenue gained or profit .. There has to be a benefactor if the current owners cannot see this then perhaps they should sell up. Or perhaps stop going on about the PL and understand BCFC for what we are .  

'No faith in Cotterill taking us to the next level.' What does that mean exactly?

For any manager of a newly promoted club to stabilise them in the higher division means taking them to the next level as far as I'm concerned.

Can Cotterill stabilise BCFC in the Championship? Yes, I think he can.

Or did you mean you have no faith in Cotterill taking City to the PL?

Well, that's hardly a reasonable immediate expectation of him, is it?

If he can consolidate City's Championship status, improving year on year while playing expansive and entertaining football, that will be a tremendous achievement in itself. One which will inexorably strengthen the club, build the crowds, and give us a settled club with well founded optimistic aspirations every year.

The all round stability in the club forged by keeping faith with the manager, thereby developing a 'Bristol City style' by persisting with a consistent style of play throughout the club, plus realistic fans - and board - accepting reasonable progress, will put us at an advantage over the short term panic stricken measures taken by so many of our rivals and will ensure, in the fullness of time, that there's a good chance our day may well come under SC.

It won't happen overnight, but I wouldn't bet against it longer term and I certainly believe this manager has already proved himself worthy of our patience and support.

What's more, I think we can look forward to attending AG in the happy knowledge our team will be holding it's own by playing entertaining and attacking football in the Championship and we can actually enjoy the ride until we're ready for a serious attempt to take the next step up divisionally.

That may take years but surely an exciting period to be a City fan - providing, that is, we keep to reasonable expectations of both the manager, and the club.

The question that has to be asked is who was responsible for the absolute debacle of the summer transfer window?

If we're offering £6-9m it would seem to me the funding is there, so why did we fail to strengthen properly?

Can we really not find the players with those resources available?

Yes Cotterill gets a lot of credit for last season, but not enough to pay for a relegation.  

I want to see us out of the relegation zone and to see several strong signings at the start of January, not be ******* around on 31st hoping for scraps.  And no, not Kermorgant FFS.

Personally, I tthink we have the players to play 4-4-2. Bryan is more a winger than a wing back, and I think Burns could do a job on the right wing. 

The current system is leaving us dangerously exposed at the back and teams are taking advantage of it. 

Granted, changing the formation would be a gamble, but on the basis that the system we are playing isn't working, I think it's one worth taking. 

I honestly don't think we'd have to play anyone in a position they wouldn't be comfortable in. 

I'd like to see a 442 diamond 

Fielding 

Ayling  Flint Baker Williams 

Smith 

Burns                    Bryan 

Freeman 

Kodjia          Agard

you talk about wingers, and then a diamond? Which is it

SC did well, more than well last season. I don't give a flying fffff who the manager is. I want to watch my team play at the highest level, before I turn me toes up. I learned a long time ago to have  no emotional attachment to any of 'em. If SC can't sort it, so be it.

Mario Bielsa would be my choice, great pacey, pressing game, but obviously no chance of him coming here!

Drinking?

We all want to watch this club play at the highest level before we die. Unfortunately my old man turned his toes up in 2010 so he won't make that, however your point appears to be pragmatism, who is the best person to get us there and unemotionally right now we have the best person managing the club. As you are of obviously turning your toes up range I don't have to remind you it took AD the best part of ten years. I'll pray for you!

The question that has to be asked is who was responsible for the absolute debacle of the summer transfer window?

If we're offering £6-9m it would seem to me the funding is there, so why did we fail to strengthen properly?

Can we really not find the players with those resources available?

Yes Cotterill gets a lot of credit for last season, but not enough to pay for a relegation.  

I want to see us out of the relegation zone and to see several strong signings at the start of January, not be ******* around on 31st hoping for scraps.  And no, not Kermorgant FFS.

last I saw we were not relegated and we're making enquiries regarding players to make us better  

Glad to see you out from under your I hate Cotterill rock though, this forum has largely missed you during your self imposed sebaticle! 

• Admin

last I saw we were not relegated and we're making enquiries regarding players to make us better  

Rather than respond to this one poster, read the whole thread. No idea why you pick up on one reply when generally it is recognised Cotts is currently the best fit for our club. 

The issue is higher up the he food chain, where clearly mistakes were made. Not sure what relevance it is that enquiries are now being made  the point highlighted by many was this needed to happen in the summer not now 

Interesting thread this. Firstly I'll say I remain a firm supporter of Cotterill and believe at the current time he is the right person for the job. I would also say that, Reading aside, our performances have warranted a higher league position than we currently occupy. That's not to say we haven't made mistakes; it's clear that the formation in its current form has left us too open at the back. However Cotterill will obviously know this and will no doubt be trying to address it while clearly still remaining committed to the broad principles of 3-5-2.

What I finding interesting is the notion of being "in credit". This would seem potentially dangerous to me; it implies that past successes somehow excuse current failings. Although on a personal level this would seem fair, it risks allowing a failing regime to continue for a potentially fatal length of time. It risks the future of the club because of a perceived debt to an individual. In other words, I would say that we must be very careful not to allow past success to cloud judgement of the current situation, should it reach a stage where a change would otherwise seem obvious and necessary (we are nowhere near that stage yet).

To reiterate, I am not saying Cotterill should go; far from it. He has my full support.

Archived