IGNORED

Faith in steve cotterill

dunsteral

I hope we dont get dragged in to the current silly season, with 5 managers losing their

jobs this week. As leroy rosenior says in his column in the EP steve should certainly

still be in credit with what he has achieved since he arrived. What possible good

would come from sacking him, the only thing it would produce would be turmoil.

With this in mind, those of you who agree with me and still support steve, lets get

a round of "one stevie cotterill" going at tomorrow's game against M K Dons.

• Admin

Not sure our current problems are really to be attributed to cotts. 

Behind the scenes the whole recruitment process has been nothing short of a disaster, hopefully come the January transfer window we are still in a position in this league where we can compete. 

Getting rid of cotts now would be an even bigger disaster! 

I've never been quite sure about faith.  It asks people to believe in something about which they have no certainty.  I have hope in Cotterill, but I don't think I have faith.  His record for us so far has been good, but he is now in a completely different situation and we will have to wait and see if he can deliver.  He wouldn't be the first manager to succeed at one level but fail at another, and his track record before he joined us doesn't necessarily give us a lot to encourage us to believe he could take us to the promised land.  I'd give him until the end of November, but if things haven't improved by then, it may be that a change is necessary.  Tomorrow's match will give us an indication of whether we are aclimatising to the Championship.  If we lose, confidence will be very low indeed.

Not sure our current problems are really to be attributed to cotts. 

Behind the scenes the whole recruitment process has been nothing short of a disaster, hopefully come the January transfer window we are still in a position in this league where we can compete. 

Getting rid of cotts now would be an even bigger disaster! 

Whilst the summer transfer fiasco can't be blamed on SC, sticking with 352 is squarely down to him and both are the reason we're struggling IMO

Not that I'm saying get rid of SC mind 

Just my opinion,  I think Steve deserves to see it through he has done a amazing job and should not be a victim of the success he has brought the city . Cotts you have my total backing 

Obviously I understand people's reasons for posts like this.. But hypothetically, January 1st.. We're 9 points adrift and playing poorly. Would you still have the same faith?

No manager's job should be at risk until at least half way through a season.  Cotts is one of the managers you'd think is still in a secure position at the club (despite being bottom of the league, the team has looked very good in places and perfectly able to climb the table) and he will see City safe this season, but, and playing Devil's Advocate, if we were in the bottom 3 come the beginning of Feb, I would change the manager.

but look at Newcastle there fans were foaming at the mouth to get rid of pardew now there in a worse situation 

well, yes. You'll find examples at either side of how it can turn out.

My question to you though is; we're bottom in January, 9 points down with a transfer window and time to escape. Same faith then?

No manager's job should be at risk until at least half way through a season.  Cotts is one of the managers you'd think is still in a secure position at the club (despite being bottom of the league, the team has looked very good in places and perfectly able to climb the table) and he will see City safe this season, but, and playing Devil's Advocate, if we were in the bottom 3 come the beginning of Feb, I would change the manager.

The question is, does he see eye to eye with the board? I've heard otherwise and am hoping that this doesn't affect his position.

The question is, does he see eye to eye with the board? I've heard otherwise and am hoping that this doesn't affect his position.

What exactly have you heard?

The fact is we failed to secure ANY permanent signings (codger apart) during the close season.

Who is to blame for that remains to be seen, did Cotts reject players put forward by Burt?

Did players reject us because off Cotts, money, ambition, location etc we don't really know.

The only thing I feel sure about is that Cotts has earned the right to do things his way, after giving us the best season for many, many years. 

Sort of sums up our club this, whilst most other clubs pull the trigger we fanny around until its just too late, not saying he should be sacked, just yet, but sacked he will be sometime in the future, I just hope the Board do it at the right time. 

No sentiment at all in football, managers expect that, but some how this club ducks issues like this, and rather just 'wait and see' attitude. 

Like the team on the pitch, just too nice.

I personally believe it would be crazy if sacking Cotts was even being genuinely considered at the moment. Despite what we may have thought coming into this season, the championship was never going to be easy. The championship is a very strong league. Also, in a good percentage of the games so far this season we've actually dominated in terms of possession and shots, albeit without the final product. I'm still feeling optimistic about this season and think a mid table finish is realistic; should we get a couple of wins under our belt a run of good results is definitely not out of the question. Hopefully starting this saturday against MK!

I have not yet read the Leroy R column but to even mention the words 'Steve Cotterill is in credit' strikes me as stating the bleadin' obvious and unnecessary. OK, so the guy is now a journalist and I like what he writes and that, alone, is probably justification for him writing whatever he wants; If anybody has to bring it up I am glad its a journalist. It would be downright ridiculous if one of us had. 

Obviously I understand people's reasons for posts like this.. But hypothetically, January 1st.. We're 9 points adrift and playing poorly. Would you still have the same faith?

Interesting question. If we wanted to change, who is the magician that will pull us to safety? Who did we turn to last time we were in the mire? Oh yes, Cotts. Give the guy time. Performances say it will come good soon.

I hope we dont get dragged in to the current silly season, with 5 managers losing their

jobs this week. As leroy rosenior says in his column in the EP steve should certainly

still be in credit with what he has achieved since he arrived. What possible good

would come from sacking him, the only thing it would produce would be turmoil.

With this in mind, those of you who agree with me and still support steve, lets get

a round of "one stevie cotterill" going at tomorrow's game against M K Dons.

How can what you did last year have any bearing on this year.I wish I had a job like that.

Interesting question. If we wanted to change, who is the magician that will pull us to safety? Who did we turn to last time we were in the mire? Oh yes, Cotts. Give the guy time. Performances say it will come good soon.

I agree, I think we will click in a couple of games. We did not recruit well but based on what I've seen I think there will be teams worse than us.

My issue is with those who say they'd support the manager no matter what, even if were relegated! It's very easy to say that now, but I'm sure they wouldn't think that if we were actually relegated.

The fact is we failed to secure ANY permanent signings (codger apart) during the close season.

Who is to blame for that remains to be seen, did Cotts reject players put forward by Burt?

Did players reject us because off Cotts, money, ambition, location etc we don't really know.

The only thing I feel sure about is that Cotts has earned the right to do things his way, after giving us the best season for many, many years. 

A mixture of board members getting to involved with transfers, as another poster said Cott's had players lined up. Why we didn't sign these straight away I don't know.

However it's not solely the boards fault, I've heard they weren't too impressed with his targets being too expensive/massive wages.

Will be interesting to see what happens in January now Pelling has gone. 

The only reason for changing a manager is if he is not moving the team forward.

Often good managers get fired because they've burnt out. The pressure is relentless .

They need to stay on top of it all as very quickly any weaknesses start a snowball effect .

i wish Cotts well but like all players and staff at the club they are just temporary guardians of our hopes and dreams for Bristol City. 

They are good enough when they're good enough but if their performance levels drop  then there's no room for sentiment. 

Whilst the summer transfer fiasco can't be blamed on SC, sticking with 352 is squarely down to him and both are the reason we're struggling IMO

Not that I'm saying get rid of SC mind 

I'm entirely unconvinced that the reason we are struggling so far is purely down to formation. I don't think our success last season under SC has been down to formation either- more to do with quality. This season we don't have the same stand out quality because we're up against a lot of ex- prem players and more experience.

Sort of sums up our club this, whilst most other clubs pull the trigger we fanny around until its just too late, not saying he should be sacked, just yet, but sacked he will be sometime in the future, I just hope the Board do it at the right time. 

Hmmm- of course if he turns it around and we have a successful season then some club comes knocking on his door and he leaves then I guess this is the Board's stupid fault as well?

Steve Lansdown has demonstrated over many years  that he isn't trigger happy and doesn't over react so why should we expect any different now?

9 games in and one poorly played match but with 8 indicating that with a bit more 'rub of the green' and a little bit more concentration/savvy and we should be fine at this level. A few new additions in Jan which should of happened in the summer should see us at the business end of the Championship before too long.

As fans - we can't change the formation and we can't bring in new players - neither of which will happen any time soon anyway. But we can at least keep faith in the Manager and team irrespective of results for a little while longer.

37 games left.

Actually that isn't a fact.

We signed Ryan Fredericks permanently, then he left.

Archived