IGNORED

Faith in steve cotterill

dunsteral

MKD and PNE both have managers with a pretty good reputation yet are down there with us. There is a common theme which has absolutely nothing to do with who the manager is. Why, therefore, would changing manager be the answer?

May I ask what this common theme is?

Apart from the fact we are all In the bottom three. 

And nothing to do with the manager…?    Surely some responsibility must be put at the managers feet. They can't be totally blameless. 

The question for me is who would we replace him with? No one stands out (I don't think Klopp is quite ready for the biggest job in football and Anceloti is a bit old) and as others have pointed out, we're largely playing decent football. Thinking back to our relegation season, we started well but performances went down hill quickly- that hasn't really happened. Eventually players and manager will adjust and we'll be ok. My one concern is that Cotts doesn't seem to be very flexible or adaptable,  I hope that's something he manages to take on board

However, still in the shit at Christmas, we probably have to say 'ta-ra' and move on

'No faith in Cotterill taking us to the next level.' What does that mean exactly?

For any manager of a newly promoted club to stabilise them in the higher division means taking them to the next level as far as I'm concerned.

Can Cotterill stabilise BCFC in the Championship? Yes, I think he can.

Or did you mean you have no faith in Cotterill taking City to the PL?

Well, that's hardly a reasonable immediate expectation of him, is it?

If he can consolidate City's Championship status, improving year on year while playing expansive and entertaining football, that will be a tremendous achievement in itself. One which will inexorably strengthen the club, build the crowds, and give us a settled club with well founded optimistic aspirations every year.

The all round stability in the club forged by keeping faith with the manager, thereby developing a 'Bristol City style' by persisting with a consistent style of play throughout the club, plus realistic fans - and board - accepting reasonable progress, will put us at an advantage over the short term panic stricken measures taken by so many of our rivals and will ensure, in the fullness of time, that there's a good chance our day may well come under SC.

It won't happen overnight, but I wouldn't bet against it longer term and I certainly believe this manager has already proved himself worthy of our patience and support.

What's more, I think we can look forward to attending AG in the happy knowledge our team will be holding it's own by playing entertaining and attacking football in the Championship and we can actually enjoy the ride until we're ready for a serious attempt to take the next step up divisionally.

That may take years but surely an exciting period to be a City fan - providing, that is, we keep to reasonable expectations of both the manager, and the club.

If you take a few words out of a paragraph, you can twist it all you like....you need to read those words in the context it was written....Instead of trying to make out how you want it to. You'd save yourself a lot of writing that way fella ;-)

As per Tony....the condensed version....any manager would struggle here atm....for all the reasons given in various posts throughout the forum.

If you take a few words out of a paragraph, you can twist it all you like....you need to read those words in the context it was written....Instead of trying to make out how you want it to. You'd save yourself a lot of writing that way fella ;-)

As per Tony....the condensed version....any manager would struggle here atm....for all the reasons given in various posts throughout the forum.

So if Cotterill stays the whole season, where do you think we will finish out of the following:

Champions

Play offs

Top half but not play offs

Bottom half but not relegated

Relegated

The question that has to be asked is who was responsible for the absolute debacle of the summer transfer window?

If we're offering £6-9m it would seem to me the funding is there, so why did we fail to strengthen properly?

Can we really not find the players with those resources available?

Yes Cotterill gets a lot of credit for last season, but not enough to pay for a relegation.  

I want to see us out of the relegation zone and to see several strong signings at the start of January, not be ******* around on 31st hoping for scraps.  And no, not Kermorgant FFS.

I totally agree, our summer business was nothing short of disgraceful and it's not a surprise to see us Rock bottom... I'm still fuming now!!!

I would like to think that deals are already being lined up so we can move forward quickly and yes I agree please not Kermorgant!!

So if Cotterill stays the whole season, where do you think we will finish out of the following:

Champions

Play offs

Relegated

How the hell would I know....so many things can change between now and the end of the season. Injuries, suspensions, new players, luck....all have a bearing.

As it stands now....as I said twice in my previous posts....any manager would struggle.

Why do people just go fishing for fishing sake...**** knows why.

Champions

Play offs

Relegated

Hmm, I'm probably slightly too optimistic about City in general (the reason I've lost lots of money from including us in accumulators over the years!) and before this season I predicted 8th.

After seeing the quality of some teams we've played, I thought Reading looked very strong and Burnley were very professional, I think that is definitely too high for us at the moment. Our squad just isn't big or deep enough in the correct areas.

If I was putting money on it, I would go for bottom half but not relegated if SC sees out the season. I think we'll click soon and results will start to come and we'll improve - hopefully starting today.

I would really like us to try another shape though, I think we've got the players for it and it was concerning watching how easily Reading picked us apart with a plan.

How the hell would I know....so many things can change between now and the end of the season. Injuries, suspensions, new players, luck....all have a bearing.

As it stands now....as I said twice in my previous posts....any manager would struggle.

Not really fishing is it? 

Just a predictive question based on all factors you have mentioned. 

I would have replied between top half but not playoffs, and bottom half but not relighted. 

Hmm, I'm probably slightly too optimistic about City in general (the reason I've lost lots of money from including us in accumulators over the years!) and before this season I predicted 8th.

After seeing the quality of some teams we've played, I thought Reading looked very strong and Burnley were very professional, I think that is definitely too high for us at the moment. Our squad just isn't big or deep enough in the correct areas.

If I was putting money on it, I would go for bottom half but not relegated if SC sees out the season. I think we'll click soon and results will start to come and we'll improve - hopefully starting today.

I would really like us to try another shape though, I think we've got the players for it and it was concerning watching how easily Reading picked us apart with a plan.

Looking at Karl Robinson's preview for today's game he rightly points out that there are two leagues in the Championship, the heavyweight big spenders and the middleweights. We have mostly played the heavyweights so far, it's how we do against the others (as in today's game) that will determine whether we stay in this league, there are plenty of other clubs struggling in the bottom 10.

As for Cotts he must be given more time after all the good work last season. If we're still bottom around Christmas time though I think the writing will be on the wall, although I can't think of any managers available who would want to come here who would be an improvement unless we took a punt on an up and coming manager like we did with McInnes.

Not really fishing is it? 

Just a predictive question based on all factors you have mentioned. 

I would have replied between top half but not playoffs, and bottom half but not relighted. 

Anything can happen fella between now and the end of the season.

From today...we may win handsomely....get some confidence and go on a roll.

We also may get thumped 1-4 and Joe get a season long injury....confidence drains more and panic sets in.

Anything can happen...

last I saw we were not relegated and we're making enquiries regarding players to make us better  

Glad to see you out from under your I hate Cotterill rock though, this forum has largely missed you during your self imposed sebaticle! 

Last I saw we were unable to defend anything and have a paper thin squad.  I didn't say we were relegated but you'd be foolish not to be concerned, particularly after the cock up this summer. 

As for your sabbatical comment, I simply have less time these days and find it less interesting.  There isn't much worth reading  on the forum now as it's full of inane back biting and shit puns. 

I'm not fishing but as the thread is "Faith in Cotterrill" I'm trying to establish where you stand on him.

Your comment

I have no faith in SC taking us to the next level...or in fact do I have any faith in the next manager that comes here...imho...any manager would struggle here at this level and above.

is to be fair consistent with many of your various posts. You clearly do not have much confidence in the way the club is managed, what I am trying to get at is, making allowances for restrictions on Cotterill because of that, do you think he is the right manager for Bristol City, and if not why not?

I'm not fishing but as the thread is "Faith in Cotterrill" I'm trying to establish where you stand on him.

Your comment

I have no faith in SC taking us to the next level...or in fact do I have any faith in the next manager that comes here...imho...any manager would struggle here at this level and above.

is to be fair consistent with many of your various posts. You clearly do not have much confidence in the way the club is managed, what I am trying to get at is, making allowances for restrictions on Cotterill because of that, do you think he is the right manager for Bristol City, and if not why not?

Fair enough point mate...

And you are correct, I don't have faith in our Club to progress further than what we have been historically... a team that bounces between Championship and League 1.

Unfortunately....and this is going to sound really pompous....I find it really hard to debate on here, because I base a lot of what I think from information outside of the media. So it's hard to reason, as I have no substantial evidence to show anyone....it is purely from what i'm told. So it's a lose-lose situation on my part.

In a nut shell....it's toxic down their at the moment. All is not well. Lots of unhappy bunnies for lots of various reasons.

Whatever happens....it will run it's course.

As supporters, all we can do is support the players on the pitch for 90 mins....nothing said on this forum will change anything.

Would love to post more....but gotta get ready ;-)

Cotts has done a BRILLIANT job for City. No manager could have done better transforming the club, and getting us up in the style he did. It is an amazing achievement.

His job should be safe.

As far as the directors are concerned, THIS season, they are entitled to make an assessment of our PROGRESS and performance, after 10 games.

If we lose today (it's going to be a 3-1 City win), we will be adrift at the bottom of the league, and that, my friends, is shyte.

If this continues (which it won't, as we are about to go on a run), he would be on a knife edge before Xmas.

But this is not going to happen :)

TFR

I'm satisfied I answered your point directly.

If you have no faith in the next manager being a notable improvement on SC, i.e. 'any manager would struggle here at this level' then why would you also say, 'If it was up to me, then I'd get rid now' ( Crossing the Rubicon thread, post 176)

It seems very obvious that - like a few others on here - underlying every post you make on the subject is the simple fact that you don't like Cotterill, you've openly disliked him from day 1, you never did, and never will, want him as manager of BCFC, and none of the great work he has done here could do anything to alter your original and now entrenched view that he should not be City's manager.

I accept you don't want the club to fail but it's a Catch 22 for you because you've never wanted this particular manager to succeed, so it's no surprise you are now unreasonably jumping on the first real blip to stealthily agitate for his removal.

Drinking?

We all want to watch this club play at the highest level before we die. Unfortunately my old man turned his toes up in 2010 so he won't make that, however your point appears to be pragmatism, who is the best person to get us there and unemotionally right now we have the best person managing the club. As you are of obviously turning your toes up range I don't have to remind you it took AD the best part of ten years. I'll pray for you!

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't believe in the power of prayer.

Drinking?

We all want to watch this club play at the highest level before we die. Unfortunately my old man turned his toes up in 2010 so he won't make that, however your point appears to be pragmatism, who is the best person to get us there and unemotionally right now we have the best person managing the club. As you are of obviously turning your toes up range I don't have to remind you it took AD the best part of ten years. I'll pray for you!

are you going to pray for yourself too? :pray::D

I said after the reading match that we need to have 6 points from the next 5 games if he was to stay, after today's sucker punch I just don't think he or the players are cut out at this level

MK Dons had lost 5 on the bounce, this is the worst result of the season by far and second game in succession when we have conceded late

And we have used up all but one of our loan slots in the squad without making any improvement to the team. No options really to improve the squad until January so I am afraid we are in big trouble. Also I doubt the club will spend enough on wages in January to turn this around.

Is that right that in the event of Agard or Wilbs getting injured we cannot bring in a centre forward ?    By January I fear we will be adrift and attracting anyone will be easier said than done.  Very poor and even Cotts seemed stuffed in his radio Brizzle interview.  Today I thought wilbs was totally pedesrtrian and things really have caught up with him.   

May I ask what this common theme is?

Apart from the fact we are all In the bottom three. 

And nothing to do with the manager…?    Surely some responsibility must be put at the managers feet. They can't be totally blameless. 

And what about the players, surely that is a common theme?   Perhaps, despite being runaway winners of L1,  they are just not good enough for the Championship.

For me a major issue is that, since SC decided to hint all wasn't right behind the scenes over the summer, it's created uncertainly about whether something is wrong at the club and whether SC is able to - or wants to - stay the course.  It might all be smoke, mirrors, rumour and speculation but, if I'm honest - regardless of what I actually want - I don't expect SC to be manager at the end of the season.  That could be me reading too much into press conferences and into rumours on here but ff there's any reason that the players, the board or SC himself feels there's uncertainly over the long-term that's going to be having a knock-on effect and, one or another, that needs to be sorted out. 

And what about the players, surely that is a common theme?   Perhaps, despite being runaway winners of L1,  they are just not good enough for the Championship.

Perhaps not.  But in that case it's the manager's job to identify that and buy what's needed. If players don't try hard enough then you have to blame the players but, if players aren't good enough, that's the fault of the manager.

Archived