IGNORED

Gary Johnson

no_merde

Cough - Henry Thickett - cough.

Second in the top league and lost 1-0 in the FA cup final.

True but Harry Thickett is dead, so he'd be a controversial choice for our next manager, though on reflection we gave it to Coppell once and for all the interest he showed in it, he may as well have been..

True but Harry Thickett is dead, so he'd be a controversial choice for our next manager, though on reflection we gave it to Coppell once and for all the interest he showed in it, he may as well have been..

True Gray. We tried the living dead though with our last manager...

I've never felt the way watching Bristol City as Gary Johnson made me feel.

Genuinely the greatest the club has ever had in the modern era, both for supporters and results.

Sure, performance were not always great, but the atmosphere in the club when he was here hasn't been repeated.

I wonder if we'll see his like at the club again in my life time.

I've never felt the way watchinFantasticol City as Gary Johnson made me feel.

Genuinely the greatest the club has ever had in the modern era, both for supporters and results.

Sure, performance were not always great, but the atmosphere in the club when he was here hasn't been repeated.

I wonder if we'll see his like at the club again in my life time.

Completely agree with you n-m.Fantastic though the new stadium is/will be,I still thought the East End during that time was absolutely brilliant.

Who would win between those two teams? (The tactics are different so I've adjusted the 11s slightly)

Basso V Fielding = Basso

Orr V Little = Orr

(Old) Carey V Ayling = draw??

McCombe V Flint  = draw

(Young) Fontaine V Williams = draw

McAllister V Bryan = Bryan

Marv V Smith = draw??

Little Lee V Pack = Lee

Noble V Freeman = Freeman

McCindoe V (Bryan) = Bryan

Trundle V Codger = Codger more effective and will be better long term IMO

Very similar teams I think, ability-wise. I'd say this team are marginally more talented but have fewer leaders. Just shows what an unbelievable job GJ did with that team as they could easily have been bottom as we are now.

Who would win between those two teams? (The tactics are different so I've adjusted the 11s slightly)

Basso V Fielding = Basso

Orr V Little = Orr

(Old) Carey V Ayling = draw??

McCombe V Flint  = draw

(Young) Fontaine V Williams = draw

McAllister V Bryan = Bryan

Marv V Smith = draw??

Little Lee V Pack = Lee

Noble V Freeman = Freeman

McCindoe V (Bryan) = Bryan

Trundle V Codger = Codger more effective and will be better long term IMO

Very similar teams I think, ability-wise. I'd say this team are marginally more talented but have fewer leaders. Just shows what an unbelievable job GJ did with that team as they could easily have been bottom as we are now.

I tried to do this myself - its really difficult because of the change in formation e.g. judging Little against Orr I think Orr was a better defender but Little is a better footballer. What I did notice about yours was it was 3-3, if I do it and don't allow draws I come up with 8 - 3 in favour of the old team but by the time I get to the last 3 the new team only has 1, which I found interesting as the only person I would have from our current defensive line-up over the old team is Flint.

I tried to do this myself - its really difficult because of the change in formation e.g. judging Little against Orr I think Orr was a better defender but Little is a better footballer. What I did notice about yours was it was 3-3, if I do it and don't allow draws I come up with 8 - 3 in favour of the old team but by the time I get to the last 3 the new team only has 1, which I found interesting as the only person I would have from our current defensive line-up over the old team is Flint.

Id have Freeman, codger and Bryan at the least

Yeah, like Lee J, Styvar, Sproule, Williams...oh, hang on...

I give you Styvar. But Ivan was a good player and great in his first season. The pace he had was second to none. Always remember that goal against Southampton. Lee J for all his critics was solid as well. Yes there was dead wood, but under Gary, we had belief and apart from Robbered, the fans were united for a time.

Great memories and great times. Gary J is a city legend in my book. 

Id have Freeman, codger and Bryan at the least

Mine was Freeman, Codger and Flint. I think as a left back McAllister was better than Bryan and as a left winger McCindoe was better than Bryan (I don't think either are better at left wing back - this was close). If we play our current formation then Bryan defiantly gets in there as well which would make it 6 - 4, not sure what else I would change.

Have we signed a new player called codger?

Basso

Orr Carey Flint Bryan

Murray Marv Smith McIndoe

Kodjia Trundle

Wouldn't have minded seeing Maynard and Kodjia together with Hartley supplying the ammunition. That combination would have taken some stopping.....

Wouldn't have minded seeing Maynard and Kodjia together with Hartley supplying the ammunition. That combination would have taken some stopping.....

I would've added both those players, I wasn't too sure if it was just our first season up teams we were comparing! 

It's what we call in this country "a nickname".

except that's not a nickname, a nickname is  a shortened version of the original. It's an attempt to try and be funny by calling him codger when Kodjia is just as easy to write. 

Same blokes who think calling El Abd, 'El Bad' is hilarious I expect. 

I would've added both those players, I wasn't too sure if it was just our first season up teams we were comparing! 

Whoops - I should read more thoroughly. Seems that 4 at the back seems to be the preferred formation.  Personally thought that Basso, Orr, McCombe, Carey and Macallister were the best back 5 unit of ours I've seen. Of the current crop think only Flint could challenge for a place and even then not really sure...

For those people saying Johnson is 'nowhere near' the best City manager ever, I'm curious to know who you think has been more successful than a man who secured us back to back promotions and took us to within a whisker of the Premier League, massively defying the odds. But to save time, I'll answer that question for you: there's been only one manager and that's Alan Dicks.

For those people saying Johnson is owhere near' the best City manager ever, I'm curious to know who you think has been more successful than a man who secured us back to back promotions and took us to within a whisker of the Premier League, massively defying the odds. But to save time, I'll answer that question for you: there's been only one manager and that's Alan Dicks.

Terry Cooper, Joe Jordans first reign and if he keeps us in the league and we progress Steve Cotterill.

GJ was a good manager up until the playoff final then he left us in a mess by signing average players on long contracts which held us back for years after his departure.

except that's not a nickname, a nickname is  a shortened version of the original. It's an attempt to try and be funny by calling him codger when Kodjia is just as easy to write. 

No. A nickname means an altenative to the given moniker. It nend not imply it is shorter.

In the case of codger,  it is not pejorative,  so I don't know why anyone would have a problem with it.

Agree, rubbish. "El Bad", "Swindle", "Florist", "Crapdiff" all terrible. *bin emoji*

Archived