IGNORED

Gary Johnson

no_merde

The point is that GJ achieved promotion by adopting a pedestrian and uninspiring style of play. He did the same at Yeovil. Even though City got within a game of the PL that season I never left AG during the league campaign with that "feel good" factor. I experienced that feeling many times under Wilson and again after almost every game last season. 

To me it's more important to be entertained and should that more expansive style of football be employed ( like last season) then I'll be very happy bunny.

To me Cotterill is a far more capable manager than GJ. SC is a far better man manager, has a greater tactical imagination and inspires players with his enthusiasm and nouse just as Wilson did.  Johnson on the other hand was/is a one trick pony who rules his players through fear, lacks tactical nouse and blames his players everytime a game was lost. When he reached the Championship he was found out after one season and the same thing happened at Yeovil but down there  it was just one season. He ran Yeovil, your and my club as if it were a family corner shop. 

No doubt GJ will do well in the conference. He knows all about lower league football and he'll have them playing the only was he knows. 

so would you rather play expansive football and be relegated or the football played under Johnson and stay up?  From what you have written I guess it's the former.  

so would you rather play expansive football and be relegated or the football played under Johnson and stay up?  From what you have written I guess it's the former.  

So now you're posting my opinions for me?  :facepalm:

Its about playing a type of football that suites the situation. Expansive football is a joy to watch but that said, should City end up struggling and in real danger of relegation then 10 men behind the ball with hardly a shot on the opposition goal is an accepted style. It would be a "needs must" scenario.

But.......for entire time that GJ was at City it was all about not losing. He was desperately afraid of being defeated which is exactly why he played such dull and pedestrian football. I doubt it'll be any different in the Conference.

Its about playing a type of football that suites the situation. Expansive football is a joy to watch but that said, should City end up struggling and in real danger of relegation then 10 men behind the ball with hardly a shot on the opposition goal is an accepted style. It would be a "needs must" scenario.

But.......for entire time that GJ was at City it was all about not losing. He was desperately afraid of being defeated which is exactly why he played such dull and pedestrian football. I doubt it'll be any different in the Conference.

it seems like you don't know your own opinion so only trying to help ! 

That's not the way I remember it - his first 2 full seasons were attacking and even gung hoe in some circumstances then once other manager started to figure us out he changed it (to the system we were now playing - with 3 at the back and wing backs). When the results didn't come it became a "needs must" scenario and the team became very defensive minded conceding a lot of late goals.

So IMO he did what your now saying he should have done.

We'd all settle for third in the Championship now, wouldn't we?!

By that measure, Johnson is the most successful City manager of the last three decades.

Unfortunately,  the same character traits that allowed this success undermined the team when things started going wrong. 

This happens for nearly every manager .

When their methods bring  success everyone listens but when the results go badly the rot sets in , the confidence is fragile and usually results in a " we'd like to thank ... for all he's done for the club .., "

This happens for nearly every manager .

When their methods bring  success everyone listens but when the results go badly the rot sets in , the confidence is fragile and usually results in a " we'd like to thank ... for all he's done for the club .., "

Well virtually all. 

I think with Gary, the difference was, when the pressure was on, a very dark side of his personality came to the fore. To people at the club, he was a million miles away from the chirpy cockney joker persona he portrayed to the media.

I've never felt the way watching Bristol City as Gary Johnson made me feel.

Genuinely the greatest the club has ever had in the modern era, both for supporters and results.

Sure, performance were not always great, but the atmosphere in the club when he was here hasn't been repeated.

I wonder if we'll see his like at the club again in my life time.

Well said. 

Even at 2-0 tonight you can hear a pin drop. Was never like that under GJ. Some people have damn short memories. Will always be held in the highest estimation by me. 

Well said. 

Even at 2-0 tonight you can hear a pin drop. Was never like that under GJ. Some people have damn short memories. Will always be held in the highest estimation by me. 

and so he bloody should be by every one of us.

We took thousands away when he was here, you would not get that support if we were that boring.

how many times did we score last min goals? 

I loved that team and loved that period under GJ

Let's take a vote on who was possibly the worst supporters trust chairman ever. Any ideas people?

It's Supporter's Trust chairman for the circumstances.  Different circumstances call for different chairman.

On the whole though, I think the chairman should be trustworthy and represent supporters i.e.not run a club for the old-boys.

For me the top five chairman are:

and so he bloody should be by every one of us.

We took thousands away when he was here, you would not get that support if we were that boring.

how many times did we score last min goals? 

I loved that team and loved that period under GJ

I agree. Used to go home and away all the time with GJ in charge because we also took 1-3 thousand every away game and the atmosphere was brilliant all the time.

Very fond memories of that time and while he isn't our most successful manager, most well liked, or played the best football, he gave the club character, signed some personalities which worked with the crowd and it was a positive time for the club.

I agree. Used to go home and away all the time with GJ in charge because we also took 1-3 thousand every away game and the atmosphere was brilliant all the time.

Very fond memories of that time and while he isn't our most successful manager, most well liked, or played the best football, he gave the club character, signed some personalities which worked with the crowd and it was a positive time for the club.

This is how I feel as well. During those first two seasons in the Championship there was a real feel-good factor around the club and an affinity between GJ and supporters, not forgetting "bounce around the ground". Yes things went wrong towards the end of his tenure but I remember his time with us with affection - certainly more so than some of the other managers we have had.

Interesting that in our playoff season our GD was either 0 or +1... cant quite remember. We did take 1-3000 but it was our first season back in the Championship after 9 years with new stadiums to visit etc.

Johnson did well in the short term but long term he set the club back

Too many look at his time here with rose tinted specs.

Yes he won promotion from Division 3 and nearly made it to the Promised Land.

But then along with all the crap signings he laid the foundations for our return to whence we had come. Good manager at lower league level and should stay there. And no, I do not want to join his fan club!

I just watched back a bit of the after match sky interviews. Interestingly GJ asked SC about staying loyal to his League One players. SC said yes he was loyal with everyone 'to a point' Gary did then seem a little rueful, perhaps with hindsight recognising where he did go wrong. He said he had been saying to them all season about getting them to the Championship, and it seemed once they had done that he had to give them a chance. This is fair enough, but he didn't seem to have the 'to a point' attitude Cotterill has. 

Archived